• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read yesterday that despite the female only recruitment day, of EMT's 2000+ applications, still only 10% of applications were from women. Be interesting to see if this percentage is reflected now at testing or whether positive discrimination is boosting representations.

As previously mentioned, fair play to EMT for taking on established norms and attempting to break new ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TramWayne

January tests for me as I'm on holiday for the dates they could offer this week. I can wait...

Termak

Maybe they missed the bit I mentioned I passed all assesments, or something else. I was expecting a thank you but no email like others who passed within the last 6 months. Not complaining..

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your patience and bearing with us while we get through all of our applications. I am pleased to inform you that after consideration of your application you have been shortlisted to proceed to stage one testing for the above role.

Currently we do not have any available dates for stage 1 testing but anticipate this will be early next year. We will be in touch in the near future with an invite to your stage 1 testing session.

Thank you for your continued patience and congratulations on making the shortlist for testing.

baz962

Established Member
Maybe they missed the bit I mentioned I passed all assesments, or something else. I was expecting a thank you but no email like others who passed within the last 6 months. Not complaining..

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your patience and bearing with us while we get through all of our applications. I am pleased to inform you that after consideration of your application you have been shortlisted to proceed to stage one testing for the above role.

Currently we do not have any available dates for stage 1 testing but anticipate this will be early next year. We will be in touch in the near future with an invite to your stage 1 testing session.

Thank you for your continued patience and congratulations on making the shortlist for testing.

Congrat's mate.

James Macca

Can anybody confirm this is just assessments/tests and there isn't an MMI aswell?

Last edited:

stjimmy87

I have received a well done through to stage 1 email for next year but I passed the tests within 2 years so gonna contact them to see what's going on.....anyone else in a similar position

Termak

I have received a well done through to stage 1 email for next year but I passed the tests within 2 years so gonna contact them to see what's going on.....anyone else in a similar position
My thoughts were; maybe they just sent the generic email but in actual fact we will be just waiting for when they start to do interviews. I might be wrong, but I passed in April and June this year, and mentioned it my application.

Max287

Congrats to all who have the news today, myself included.

I suppose it gives us plenty of time to prepare for the tests :)

Also, I’m just curious, it’s not important in terms of anything really but this thread was 12 pages yesterday and is now 8 :-/

Dynamonic

Afternoon,

I have my stage 1 on Wednesday. Can anybody confirm this is just assessments/tests and there isn't an MMI aswell? I've been through pages 1-40 of the practice material but am worried they might spring a surprise on us. Has anybody studied pages 41 onwards? Look forward to meeting some of you there

There won’t be any surprises, don’t worry.

Page 41 onwards is for Stage 4 of this process. :smile:

stjimmy87

My thoughts were; maybe they just sent the generic email but in actual fact we will be just waiting for when they start to do interviews. I might be wrong, but I passed in April and June this year, and mentioned it my application.

Whatever happens we have made it past the first hurdle so bring on stage 1 again if that's the way its gonna be!

Dynamonic

what will stage 1 entail?

Stage 1 has six paper-based tests focussing on the ‘concentration’, ‘attention’ and ‘memory’ qualities of a train driver.

These are:

• Group Bourdon
  • Trainability for Rules & Procedures (TRP) Parts 1 & 2
  • Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ) Parts 1, 2 & 3

Have a look at the ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread stickied at the top of this forum for some great advice on these tests, and of course, you will receive practice material shortly before you are due to take the tests.

Stage 1 has six paper-based tests focussing on the ‘concentration’, ‘attention’ and ‘memory’ qualities of a train driver.

These are:

• Group Bourdon
  • Trainability for Rules & Procedures (TRP) Parts 1 & 2
  • Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ) Parts 1, 2 & 3

Have a look at the ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread stickied at the top of this forum for some great advice on these tests, and of course, you will receive practice material shortly before you are due to take the tests.

In every day language this is therefore;

Dots
Glopp test
Boxes with dials
Phonebook and lift tones
Fault finding via codes

And one other??

LuckyT

Morning all,

If anyone would like help with the assessment ask away I passed mine 3 weeks ago so it's all still fresh! Done it all in one day thankfully (most of it) and got it out of the way, 2nd time to it! Failed the dots the first time.

Weird thing was, the group I was with didn't do the glop testing/remembering bit, the bit where you read and remember. Im not sure if they did something different though because i was asked to leave the room until they completed the tests id done last time, but certainly didnt so the glop one.

Though I passed this last year I wasnt required to do it this year, there was still two candidates who didn't do it this time around when i went. Don't take this as a given, it might be that they've changed it n done something different.

Cheers

EastMidsMatt

Morning all,

If anyone would like help with the assessment ask away I passed mine 3 weeks ago so it's all still fresh! Done it all in one day thankfully (most of it) and got it out of the way, 2nd time to it! Failed the dots the first time.

Weird thing was, the group I was with didn't do the glop testing/remembering bit, the bit where you read and remember. Im not sure if they did something different though because i was asked to leave the room until they completed the tests id done last time, but certainly didnt so the glop one.

Though I passed this last year I wasnt required to do it this year, there was still two candidates who didn't do it this time around when i went. Don't take this as a given, it might be that they've changed it n done something different.

Cheers
Hi, could you or anyone else tell us what the tones test involves? Cheers.

Dynamonic

Hi, could you or anyone else tell us what the tones test involves? Cheers.

Hi there,

The tones/Phonebook Test (TEA-Occ) is split into 3 parts.

Part 1 involves you listening to an audio recording of two different tones playing at random.
Your job is to count all the low tones, which play amongst distracting high tones.

Part 2 involves you looking through a Phonebook-like list to find entries with four pairs of certain symbols. The symbols are given to you on a card before the test.

Part 3 involves the same as Part 2, but this time simultaneously counting tones. (There’s only one tone in this part, don’t panic)
At certain intervals, you’ll be asked to stop looking at the Phonebook, and write down how many tones you’ve counted.

Hope this helps.

LuckyT

As above.

From what I remember, you have 10 groups of tones on each part.

I found this test quite easy. We had to place our hands under the desk on our knees/legs but you can use your fingers to count when you hear the beep your hearing for but you can't do this On the 3rd part obviously. On the 3rd bit You may find that you have completed the paper bit before the tones have finished playing. This happened to me so from tone groups 6 through to 10 I only had to listen to the tones. Though you may find that towards the back end you will be counting up to 12 or 15 so remember you've gone past 10 As you only have limited fingers haha.

Listen to the assessor and if you are unsure of ANYTHING please ask, don't be afraid of asking them to elaborate on anything you don't understand. Better ask and be sure!

LuckyT

Also on the 2nd and 3rd part on the paper adverts, you look for tradesman names with with 2 symbols next to them which are the same like 2 stars, 2 squares, 2 circles etc.... but if you see one with a square and a circle, ignore it. For example, if you are looking for a plumber...

□□plumber name here (strike/circle this)
○○electrician name here (ignore)
◇◇plumber name here (strike/circle this)
◇○plumber name here(ignore)

EastMidsMatt

Thanks for the info.

How hard is stage 1?
I know it's subjective but I feel like I'm managing well with the practice and the resources I've found online so I'm quite confident. I'm just concerned about emt requiring enhanced passes for everything!!

LuckyT

Just try your best that's all that anyone can do. I completed everyt in one day so it was a long one. Though the first part can be stressful just relax with the constant testing , remember to breath deep n don't let it get the better of you. Remember, if you are unsure on something or don't understand, ask!

EastMidsMatt

Just try your best that's all that anyone can do. I completed everyt in one day so it was a long one. Though the first part can be stressful just relax with the constant testing , remember to breath deep n don't let it get the better of you. Remember, if you are unsure on something or don't understand, ask!
Cheers mate. Good advice.

LuckyT

Ask the assessor on the day to clarify**

Drop me a pm if you need to up until your test.

Dynamonic

I found Stage 1 to have the toughest tests you’ll do in this process, although it still wasn’t nearly as bad as it sounds.
I came away feeling confident and passed it when I did it 4 years ago.

Just get plenty of sleep the night before and get there in plenty of time so you’re not flustered. (Do a bit of train spotting at Derby Station next door if you’re early enough ;))

For me personally, the real test is getting that Enhanced Pass standard.
There’s no way of knowing if that’s the standard I would have reached when I last did it. (Back when EMT wanted standard passes)

Dynamonic

Just a quick message to say 'Good Luck' to all of you sitting your Stage 1 Assessments over the next few days!
If you're doing yours on Friday, I'll see you there! :D

Morning all,

Cheers
Interesting to hear that they may have changed the Glop test. Probably long over due in fairness. I'm about as prepared now as I'll ever be I guess, I can do no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.