• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Best value advance: £/mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
Rules:
  • Full price adult single advance ticket
  • No special TOC fares (MegaTrain, Print@Home etc) - ie you need to be able to get the fare on orange cards at a TVM
  • Prices should be quoted in £/mile, mileage can be found on http://www.mileage.railmiles.org/

I'll start:
£3.50 for the 63m 08ch between Milton Keynes Central and Birmingham New Street, working out at £0.0555/mile ie 5.55p/mile :D
This is on the 0622 this Thursday, and all travel is on Virgin Trains (with a change at Rugby)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I picked up the following from a TVM on orange stock so I don't see how it would be invalidated ;)

Southern 90% off sale - 90p from Victoria to Brighton (50 miles)

£0.018 per mile (1.8p :D )

...Okay, I'll go find some that actually count!

Edit: Marylebone to Moor Street (Chiltern) - £5 for 111 miles
£0.045 per mile (4.5p) just beating yours!

calc7

Established Member
I picked up the following from a TVM on orange stock so I don't see how it would be invalidated ;)

Southern 90% off sale - 90p from Victoria to Brighton (50 miles)

£0.018 per mile (1.8p :D )

...Okay, I'll go find some that actually count!

<D To the spirit not the letter ;)

Brucey

MKC to SOU (SN only) is £7.50 at full price (but Southern regularly have offers e.g. 10% off at the moment).

151 and 73 chains so roughly 4.9p per mile at the full price.

4SRKT

Established Member
£3 Penzance > Gunnislake is going to take some beating for 94.5 miles, or 3.2p/mile. A damned fine journey to boot.

wintonian

Established Member
Hmm wondering if Penzance to Dublin via London(valid ?) will soon be a contender here?

By the way railmiles isn't working for me ATM and they don't do nautical miles anyway. :p

SS4

Established Member
750p/125.7875miles = 5.96p per mile

WVH - EUS via BHM

Not too sure on the distance since I work in metres and kilometres

4SRKT

Established Member
Hmm wondering if Penzance to Dublin via London(valid ?) will soon be a contender here?

By the way railmiles isn't working for me ATM and they don't do nautical miles anyway. :p

Rail and Sail isn't valid via London unless this is unavoidable, basically meaning coming off Southeastern, C2C or parts of NXEA. Even from Clapham Junction the route shown is via Reading, and forcing the route via Euston stops the Rail & Sail fare from appearing.

Clearly a Rail & Sail fare will be a contender soon. Wick to Rosslare looks a good shout.

radamfi

Established Member
How do we apply the rules to East Coast Advances? They always have a discount when using the East Coast website, but do we still need to use the higher price when buying these elsewhere?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hull-London Kings Cross for £9 works out at 4.4p/mile, not too shabby really.

4SRKT

Established Member
How do we apply the rules to East Coast Advances? They always have a discount when using the East Coast website, but do we still need to use the higher price when buying these elsewhere?

Assume you're buying them online and knock 11% off. Makes the Inverness > London one even more unassailable.

wintonian

Established Member
Rail and Sail isn't valid via London unless this is unavoidable, basically meaning coming off Southeastern, C2C or parts of NXEA. Even from Clapham Junction the route shown is via Reading, and forcing the route via Euston stops the Rail & Sail fare from appearing.

Clearly a Rail & Sail fare will be a contender soon. Wick to Rosslare looks a good shout.

I'd like to disagree, fares from this end of Hampshire are valid via London (route: +ANY PERMITTED) even though the journey planners tend to send you up to crew on XC to change. :)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Assume you're buying them online and knock 11% off. Makes the Inverness > London one even more unassailable.
Agreed.
You'll then just have to arrange some overnight accommodation and then some return travel, neither of which will be as cheap. I have never been able to find a headline price Advance to & from Inverness from anywhere in England which offers that journey on the evening northbound and again on the following day's southbound. Has anyone? (I acknowledge that this thread is not concerned with any round trip, just the price per mile of any component).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I paid £9.95 for a YP discounted Aberdeen to Kings + Advance EC&Connections Single in March, including East Coast 11% online discount.

Just over 1.9p per mile. That's just over 2.1p without the EC discount or 3.2p without a Railcard and without the discount.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
821m 41ch Margate - Wick via the WCML (VWC+Connections) - £29

Thats 3.5p per mile - not a winner, but still pretty cheap!

OwlMan

Established Member
St Bees - Goole via Carlisle, Leeds & Doncaster £11-50 (23 Jan 2012 @1120) 207 miles at 5.55p per mile

A cheap way to travel over the S&C

Peter

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
I paid £9.95 for a YP discounted Aberdeen to Kings + Advance EC&Connections Single in March, including East Coast 11% online discount.

Just over 1.9p per mile. That's just over 2.1p without the EC discount or 3.2p without a Railcard and without the discount.

What is it with the online discount and without the Railcard? I think that's the correct answer because anyone can get the online discount at any time, but not everyone can use a Railcard.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
St Bees - Goole via Carlisle, Leeds & Doncaster £11-50 (23 Jan 2012 @1120) 207 miles at 0.0555p per mile

A cheap way to travel over the S&C

Peter

That really IS cheap :lol: Assume you mean 5.55p per mile :P

OwlMan

Established Member
That really IS cheap :lol: Assume you mean 5.55p per mile :P

Yes of course (original corrected):oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For a long day out

15 Feb 2012

Watford Junc.. dep 0602
Aviemore........ arr. 1439
Aviemore........ dep 1526
Watford Junc.. arr, 2314

Both ways via Glasgow

£29-00 each way
Total of 1059 miles (5.47p per mile)

Peter

calc7

Established Member
Yes of course (original corrected):oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For a long day out

15 Feb 2012

Watford Junc.. dep 0602
Aviemore........ arr. 1439
Aviemore........ dep 1526
Watford Junc.. arr, 2314

Both ways via Glasgow

£29-00 each way
Total of 1059 miles (5.47p per mile)

Peter

Almost certain those prices will be the same to/from Euston, pushing you to circa 1100 miles :o

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a couple of ideas of CDRs using NRG anomalies to give circa. 2p/mile for a day return. Does it qualify?

Here's an Advance ticket I've purchased in the past:

Sheerness - Manchester
£7.60 with YP Railcard
234mi = £0.032ppm

Surely a winner? :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4SRKT

Established Member
Here's an Advance ticket I've purchased in the past:

Sheerness - Manchester
£7.60 with YP Railcard
234mi = £0.032ppm

Surely a winner? :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Railcards don't count but it would be a good one even without.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
How about Stafford to Bootle (Cumbria) which is 155 miles @ £7?
That's 4.52p/mile

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It is a "reader offer" but I don't read the newspaper required but I'm popping up to Edinburgh in January for a tenner (2.55ppm).

I'll be returning first class for 25 quid (6.38ppm).

Status
Not open for further replies.