• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest regular end-to-end timetabled service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Isn't it because the Victoria-Ore and Brighton-Ore services switch over at Ore? So if the once a day 313 that comes up from Brighton followed the normal pattern it would form the next Victoria service at Ore, which obviously would be a problem. Running it as a shuttle to Hastings and back means the 377 coming in from Victoria can go back to there, allowing the 313 to return to Brighton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Isn't it because the Victoria-Ore and Brighton-Ore services switch over at Ore? So if the once a day 313 that comes up from Brighton followed the normal pattern it would form the next Victoria service at Ore, which obviously would be a problem. Running it as a shuttle to Hastings and back means the 377 coming in from Victoria can go back to there, allowing the 313 to return to Brighton.

Correct!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
NEW WINNER

http://opentraintimes.com/schedule/W85444/2015-08-18

It didn't say the train had to be in passenger service...

Oh come on, I would bet my house that it is implied in the OP that it has to be in passenger service. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought Hythe to Colchester Town was fairly short - a mere 79 chains, yet it takes four minutes.

Yes but is there a train that starts at Hythe and terminates at Colchester Town (or vice-versa) which is the type of service the OP is looking for?

duncanp

Established Member
Does the London Underground count?

If so, there is Finchley Central to Mill Hill East, at 1.5km or 0.9 miles.

Flaps64

Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay, takes four minutes, runs every 12 minutes, from 0636 - 2348.

railnerd

I recently found myself at Thorpe Le Soken station near Clacton. They have a service that comes from Walton on the Naze. It calls at every station before it terminates at Clacton.
It's not a very long journey and I just wondered if there's any shorter or about the same.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I recently found myself at Thorpe Le Soken station near Clacton. They have a service that comes from Walton on the Naze. It calls at every station before it terminates at Clacton.
It's not a very long journey and I just wondered if there's any shorter or about the same.

The winners will be the Stourbridge Town branch followed by the Cardiff Bay branch, but the next shortest after those might be up for debate...

Strathclyder

Established Member
Glasgow Queen Street to Anniesland comes in at around 5 miles, with six intermediate stations.

Last edited:

Established Member

If you had found yourself at Colchester Town you could have done the even shorter journey to Colchester. Regular shuttles throughout the day.

thenorthern

Established Member
Leeds to Bradford Forester Square is 13 miles which I think is technically be the shortest end to end inter-city service.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Brighton to Hove shuttles are fairly short too, though an intra-city service (the city of Brighton and Hove) rather than inter-city!

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Bromley North-Sundridge Park-Grove Park is less than two miles. The London end of Bromley North and the country end of Sundridge Park station are only a few hundred yards apart.

gazthomas

Established Member
In addition to the above which are the definite winners, I would add:

Llandudno Junction to Llandudno.

Brockenhurst to Lymington Pier.

St Erth to St Ives.

Liskeard to Looe.

I definitely think this has been covered a few times before on the forum.
Leeds to Bradford Forester Square is 13 miles which I think is technically be the shortest end to end inter-city service.
I think Newport to Cardiff Central is around 11 miles

gazthomas

Established Member
Bradford FS to Shipley 2 evening services that must be quite short

I agree, confused now if we're doing shortest overall services for which we already have winners or shortest distances between cities with rail services. If the latter then Shipley is a town and I think in Bradford borough

Philip C

This thread is only 50 postings long and yet it is going round the same loop for a second time. There have also, in the recent past been identical threads. Have we all run out of better reasons for living?

Surely this is London KX to Bradford FS via Leeds and doesn't count?
The 1833 from KX is a through service to Bradford FS, similarly the 0630 from Bradford FS is a through service to KX.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Surely this is London KX to Bradford FS via Leeds and doesn't count?
The 1833 from KX is a through service to Bradford FS, similarly the 0630 from Bradford FS is a through service to KX.

I do know there is the through London Kings Cross trains yes but there are no trains that run just from Newport to Cardiff or Cardiff to Newport whereas there are many Leeds to Bradford only trains and Bradford to Leeds only trains meaning its an end to end inter-city journey.

I do know there is the through London Kings Cross trains yes but there are no trains that run just from Newport to Cardiff or Cardiff to Newport whereas there are many Leeds to Bradford only trains and Bradford to Leeds only trains meaning its an end to end inter-city journey.

Your terminology confused me, I assumed you meant 'intercity' as in HST or Pendolino, for example.

On that point what would the shortest 'intercity' route be? Chester to Crewe maybe?

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Your terminology confused me, I assumed you meant 'intercity' as in HST or Pendolino, for example.

On that point what would the shortest 'intercity' route be? Chester to Crewe maybe?

Good question, the shortest end to end between two settlements with city status I think is between Leeds and Bradford at 13 miles.

With 125 mph capable rolling stock though I am not sure what the shortest regular journey is but I reckon it may be London to Oxford unless there is a regular throughout the day London to Reading HST service.

najaB

Veteran Member
With 125 mph capable rolling stock though I am not sure what the shortest regular journey is but I reckon it may be London to Oxford unless there is a regular throughout the day London to Reading HST service.
There are regular calls at Reading by trains heading to/from Paddington, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean?

341o2

Established Member
Does the London Underground count?

If so, there is Finchley Central to Mill Hill East, at 1.5km or 0.9 miles.

is there a timetabled service between these two stations or more exact one that starts at Fnchley Central and terminates at Mill Hill East or vice versa?

I would be inclied to think it would be to the next station, East Finchley for trains coming into or off service

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
There are regular calls at Reading by trains heading to/from Paddington, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean?

No I am thinking more trains that would start/terminate at Reading which use 125 MPH stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.