• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

Willesden Junction could claim much the same couldn't it?

Surely Stratford would beat that. SR 750V 3rd rail DC, OHLE 25kV and LU 660V 4 rail DC AND the system that the DLR uses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At_traction

Surely Stratford would beat that. SR 750V 3rd rail DC, OHLE 25kV and LU 660V 4 rail DC AND the system that the DLR uses

Unique indeed, but rather in being two unique stations which just happen to have the same name. What's the distance between these? Half a kilometre? ;) In a similar vein, one could mention both groups of Underground platforms in the Padd being of the same station... In that sense, Willesden is borderline, being a two-level junction station, and Farringdon is bang on w/ adjacent platforms and a "few" steps in-between.

But I somehow have a feeling that this pedantry is not what the question was all about... Killjoy me. :p

b0b

Established Member
In that sense, Willesden is borderline, being a two-level junction station, and Farringdon is bang on w/ adjacent platforms and a "few" steps in-between.

I did think about qualifying Farringdon with being the only station with a platform with 25kv/750v/660v myself :D

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not a meaningful one though.

If you're not counting 1 daily train *to* Leeds only as meaningful, there's Lockwood, Berry Brow, Honley, Brockholes, Stocksmoor and Shepley in West Yorkshire do not have a service to Leeds (though they do have a daily service *from* Leeds).

(Not to mention Oxenhope, Oakworth, Haworth, Ingrow West... <D)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unique indeed, but rather in being two unique stations which just happen to have the same name. What's the distance between these? Half a kilometre?
Not really, they're all part of the same complex; NLL is next to the OHLE platforms, which is next to the Central line platform which is sandwiched by the DLR platforms.

At_traction

Not really, they're all part of the same complex; NLL is next to the OHLE platforms, which is next to the Central line platform which is sandwiched by the DLR platforms.

Indeed. My bad, no need to draw the Chunnel into this one... :cry:

jd

Dont know if its being mentioned but i belive Birmingham New Street is the only station that may be served by all XC routes (correct me if im wrong)

It's not wrong as such, though there are some randoms on XC - see 1U00. There are also morning trains such as 1C11 (Bristol - Plymouth) 1E34 (Derby - Newcastle) and 1C09 (Plymouth - Penzance) that don't run through New Street.

When looking for those, I also came across 1S71 which is Bath Spa - Bristol - Edinburgh, which is a bit random too.

Though surely to say all XC trains go through New Street is like saying all ECML intercity trains call at KGX - that's kind of the point of XC.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is Exeter St David's unique in that trains heading directly for London can depart simultaneously in opposite directions?

( Apologies if this has already been mentioned earlier in the thread! )

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is Exeter St David's unique in that trains heading directly for London can depart simultaneously in opposite directions?

( Apologies if this has already been mentioned earlier in the thread! )

You could say that Twickenham (via Strawberry Hill or direct), Chiswick (via Hounslow or direct) and Edinburgh (before the service was culled via Preston), but I think that now Exeter St Davids is definately the furthest away from London that you can do so.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yep Newcastle is 268 miles from London, whilst Exeter St Davids is 174 miles.

MCR247

Established Member
So you could have two trains leaving two London at the same time from there :)

causton

Established Member
So you could have two trains leaving two London at the same time from there :)

You can do that at most stations with more than one platform ;)

(was thinking of a 313 and a 365 both leaving WGC for KGX or MOG at the same time!)

...oh, in opposite directions! :P

**KEY: WGC = Welwyn Garden City, KGX = London Kings Cross, MOG = (London) Moorgate**

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just realised that it's far from unique; apart from those couple of other examples I appear to have forgotten about the entire Thameslink loop...:oops:

imagination

You could say that Twickenham (via Strawberry Hill or direct), Chiswick (via Hounslow or direct) and Edinburgh (before the service was culled via Preston), but I think that now Exeter St Davids is definately the furthest away from London that you can do so.

Edinburgh still counts because the sleeper goes via the WCML

Established Member
Wherever the signals are :D

Trying to remember the layout, but I'm sure that they could still depart and travel south without either having a signal check (although of course one would have to follow behind the other at some point past Tyne Yard).

gnolife

Established Member
Fenchurch street

only network rail managed station served by only one TOC

What about Waterloo? only SWT, and Waterloo east is seperate, managed by Southeastern

Manchester Piccadilly, only station with trains to wales in opposite directions?

Last edited:

junglejames

Established Member
Exeter St Davids. Only station in England and Wales that offers a choice of 2 different direct services to London that depart in opposite directions.

Sorry for this being very very late, but has this been corrected yet?
Dover Priory has 2 (3 if you count HS1) different direct services to London, 1 which departs in a different direction.
Also Ramsgate is the same.
Or do these not count as they have more than 2 different services?!!!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
richard1976 said:
Fenchurch street

only network rail managed station served by only one TOC

What about Waterloo? only SWT, and Waterloo east is separate, managed by Southeastern

Not forgetting Cannon Street and Charing Cross, which, I think, are now only served by Southeastern

atomicdanny

Sorry for this being very very late, but has this been corrected yet?
Dover Priory has 2 (3 if you count HS1) different direct services to London, 1 which departs in a different direction.
Also Ramsgate is the same.
Or do these not count as they have more than 2 different services?!!!

Actually I believe the Dover and Ramsgate have more!

London Victoria (Chatham Mainline)
London Charing Cross (SE Main Line)
London Cannon Street (there is at least one in the morning for Dover via Faversham and a few for Ramsgate Via Faversham)
St Pancras International (HS1)

Although Ashford has more?

London Victoria via Maidstone East - SE
London Charing Cross via Tonbridge - SE
London Cannon Street via Tonbridge - SE
London St Pancras International - SE HS
Bedford Via St Pancras Lower Level - SE / FCC

Ivo

Established Member
Kinda mentioned before, but when it *finally* opens (...) Southend Airport will be the only station in England not managed by a TOC, Network Rail, or TfL.

me123

Established Member
Prestwick International Airport station has already taken that honour in Scotland I believe, but you are correct that that will be the first such case in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.