• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Surely New Street is classed as a non-terminal station outside London that kinda scuppers that fact?! Temple Meads? Newcastle? They all have higher passenger figures than Chelmsford - that is according to Office of Rail Regulation anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and Edinburgh Waverley has even more than those three too - which surprises me.

I meant no trains terminate there whatsoever :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

imagination

Corrour station has several:

Highest main line station in the UK
Only station without a public road within a 5 mile radius of it
Furthest main line station from anyone's home
Only station with the closest building to it being a youth hostel (I think)

Technically it is also another station with a settlement built specifically for it - although this hardly counts as it is a single building, 1 mile from the station

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Corrour station has several:
. . .
Only station with the closest building to it being a youth hostel (I think)
. . .
well, somewhere between a hostel and a Guest House really, but when its entirely booked up by Network Rail staff (as hapened last year), then it effectively becomes just another part of the railway, so you COULD argue that even that building isn't there!

12CSVT

Established Member
If Waterloo and Waterloo East count as one station then it would be the only station to have a direct interchange with two underground stations on the same line (as the eastern exit to Waterloo East is linked directly to one of the entrances to Southwark underground station)

Vulcan

Summit station on the Snowdon mountain railway is the highest station above sea level in England and Wales. This is quite an obvious one though.

ert47

If Waterloo and Waterloo East count as one station then it would be the only station to have a direct interchange with two underground stations on the same line (as the eastern exit to Waterloo East is linked directly to one of the entrances to Southwark underground station)

Wouldn't Charing Cross come under that with both Charing Cross tube and Embankment? As Northern and Bakerloo serve both (if you ignore the whole original station namings)

LE Greys

Established Member
Wouldn't Charing Cross come under that with both Charing Cross tube and Embankment? As Northern and Bakerloo serve both (if you ignore the whole original station namings)

Up until 1978 (I think) it would have been unique in connecting with three stations on two lines, since Strand and Trafalgar Square were separate stations at the time.

On the subject of Tube stations, if we've had Snowdon Summit as the highest station in the country, can I have Hampstead as the lowest (or deepest)?

12CSVT

Established Member

The difference is that from Charing Cross (Network Rail station), you can only access Embankment at street level. At Waterloo, there is an entrance from the concourse leading to Waterloo underground station while an exit from the platforms at Waterloo East lead directly to the booking hall at Southwark station.

Andrew Nelson

Well, there are loads of stations that have no services to Glasgow Central, such as the whole of the the Airdrie/Drumgelloch line, Springburn, Cumbernauld and local stations to Falkirk etc. I guess you meant Central OR Queen St though.

I like this idea though. In West Yorkshire the only stations that don't have services to Leeds are Baildon and the (utterly pointless) stations between Pontefract and Wakefield. Also (these days) Slaithwaite and Marsden.

Slaithwaite and Marsden DO have a service to / from Leeds.

deltic1989

Established Member
Correct me if im wrong but isnt Nottingham the largest city to have a station thats NOT on a main line.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well, there are loads of stations that have no services to Glasgow Central, such as the whole of the the Airdrie/Drumgelloch line, Springburn, Cumbernauld and local stations to Falkirk etc. I guess you meant Central OR Queen St though.

I like this idea though. In West Yorkshire the only stations that don't have services to Leeds are Baildon and the (utterly pointless) stations between Pontefract and Wakefield. Also (these days) Slaithwaite and Marsden.

By connecting into the Highland Sleeper at Falkirk Grahamston or the West Highland Sleeper at Westerton or Dalmuir/Dumbarton many of these stations have one change for London.

NLC1072

Prestwick International Airport, the only railway station operated and maintained by an airport company rather than a TOC, PTE or Network Rail

There being two of them probably invalidates the unique-ness, but would Corkerhill and Drumbreck on the Paisley Canal Line be the only electrified stations that only have diesel passenger services?

The new Southend International Airport [SIA] station will be ran by eddie stowbart... interesting?

plymothian

You could push it and say that Paddington has two separate but same named stations on the same line.

Andrew Nelson

The new Southend International Airport [SIA] station will be ran by eddie stowbart... interesting?

There being two of them probably invalidates the unique-ness, but would Corkerhill and Drumbreck on the Paisley Canal Line be the only electrified stations that only have diesel passenger services?

What about Fairfield?

or Thirsk...?

Last edited by a moderator:

mumrar

Established Member
I'm trying to think outside the box here, is Cardiff Central the busiest station (in terms of number of trains) to be served by only diesel traction?

imagination

I'm trying to think outside the box here, is Cardiff Central the busiest station (in terms of number of trains) to be served by only diesel traction?

Reading would beat it if it wasn't for the South West Trains services :p

But yes, I think it is. It has more than Oxford/Bristol Temple Meads/Inverkeithing (which perhaps surprisingly has the highest number out of those 3).

Is Tyndrum still the smallest settlement to be served by two different NR stations? Upper and Lower?

Don't get the county town reference re N. Yorks. Is it that only trains that stop at York, Thirsk, Thornaby and Yarm are those which have a service to the county town (Northallerton)? Nothing unique there though is there? Or am i missing the point?

Station Town (Co Durham), the only 'station' where there is no station? :oops:
Reading would beat it if it wasn't for the South West Trains services :p

But yes, I think it is. It has more than Oxford/Bristol Temple Meads/Inverkeithing (which perhaps surprisingly has the highest number out of those 3).

Bristol Parkway must run this close???

scotsman

Established Member

The Divit lost a lot of it's Aberdeen and Inverness services, have you taken this into account.

Surely Falkirk High has higer figure anyway?

b0b

Established Member
How about Farringdon, as the only station (?) with 3 different power types?

SR 750V 3rd rail DC, OHLE 25kV and LU 660V 4 rail DC?

(ok not all on the same platform though)

I'm also wondering if Rutherglen station is the station having the longest bridge to connect the platforms with the pedestrian entrance? any ideas on that

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

How about Highbury & Islington when the ELL reaches it in January, then you'll have 25kV on the NLL and FCC GN platforms, 4th rail on the Vic line platforms, and 3rd rail from the ELL extension.

BRX

Established Member

Willesden Junction could claim much the same couldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.