• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpopular opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I really wouldn't fancy that. Already in a three carriage 159 you have very nearly the same number of seats (23 first class, 170 standard class) as in a four carriage 220 (26 first class and 174 standard class). Plus with the 220s, you're stuck with a four carriage formation or eight carriages for a pair, whereas with the 159s you can have 3,6,9 or a maximum of ten carriages if working in multiple with 158s. Clearly, even a nine carriage 159 formation has considerably more seats than a pair of 220s.

I was thinking about the 221s, on say an hourly fast service, (calling stations to Salisbury as now, then Yeovil Jct, Axminster, Honiton & Ex C) with 159s providing the all stations service as now; the 220s could stay with XC for semi-fast workings. I was also toying with reinstating tilt for west of Salisbury, but I think it's been taken out now, hasn't it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I was thinking about the 221s, on say an hourly fast service, (calling stations to Salisbury as now, then Yeovil Jct, Axminster, Honiton & Ex C) with 159s providing the all stations service as now; the 220s could stay with XC for semi-fast workings. I was also toying with reinstating tilt for west of Salisbury, but I think it's been taken out now, hasn't it.
That would probably be more acceptable and workable.

SprinterMan

Established Member
FGW have improved a lot in recent years and are one of the best TOCs out there. Any TOC which is prepared to convert redundant Mk3 buffets into TSO coaches and take on more 150s than required with less than a year to go until the franchise is relet deserves praise.
Completely agree with this. I really hope that FGW retain the GW franchise because they are brilliant.

Southern should be forced to give up the Gatwick Express brand name since it's meaningless now.
Completely agree with this. Southern keeping GX as a separate entity is stupid, the trains that they use don't even have the word Gatwick on them anymore. The VIC-GAT non stop service should remain, but without different tickets, and just be kept along with the Brighton expresses, running as "Southern Express".

Voyagers should be removed from XC services whenever more appropriate trains arrive and should be used on routes which require trains with a light axle load. A good example would be Birmingham International - Pwhelli. I'd also retain only one disabled toilet on each Voyager, and replace the remaining toilets with smaller ones.

Ha, I would love to see that. 8 car 220 from BHI to Macynlleth, then splitting there. The acceleration of the 220 would be brilliant with all the local stops on the cambrian coast, and it would bring a nice big increase in capacity.

Adam :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
By what criteria, out of interest?

Just great for short to medium length hops. You can wedge yourself in easily enough on the morning commute but also I find them decent enough for slightly longer journeys (Leeds - Sheffield for example) as well.

6Gman

Established Member
Just great for short to medium length hops. You can wedge yourself in easily enough on the morning commute but also I find them decent enough for slightly longer journeys (Leeds - Sheffield for example) as well.

Found one on a return Cardiff - Crewe journey on one occasion.

A lot less unpleasant than I'd expected!

fgwrich

Established Member

I'll agree to some extent, maybe bar logner distance services such as Bristol / Exeter to Penzance services - 150/2s maybe, but not really 150/1s with their original BR Seats still fitted...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'll agree to some extent, maybe bar logner distance services such as Bristol / Exeter to Penzance services - 150/2s maybe, but not really 150/1s with their original BR Seats still fitted...

Yeah, that does sound a bit long. Been on one from Penzance to Gunnislake though.

SprinterMan

Established Member

150s vary unit to unit almost as 142s do, Northern's FNW-refurbed 150/1s with the DDA toilet are really very good indeed, but unrefurbed 150/1s are appalling.
Hell, there is even alot of variation in ATW's 150/2 fleet. I did the HoW line on a good example, but recently went to Betws-y-coed on a much ropier one. Also, the one at Norwich as different seats to the 150s we get in North wales, why is this? :P

starrymarkb

Established Member
150s vary unit to unit almost as 142s do, Northern's FNW-refurbed 150/1s with the DDA toilet are really very good indeed, but unrefurbed 150/1s are appalling.
Hell, there is even alot of variation in ATW's 150/2 fleet. I did the HoW line on a good example, but recently went to Betws-y-coed on a much ropier one. Also, the one at Norwich as different seats to the 150s we get in North wales, why is this? :P

Different operators have different specs. ATW and FGW units used to be part of Wessex/Wales and Borders which were under common management. At the time they were used on longer 158 style runs (I've been on one unit that was doing Gloucester to Penzance - a 5 hour trip!) so were fitted with 2+2 and tables

12CSVT

Established Member
Attitudes / Opinons / Corporate sounding junk...

Today was the first time for a while that the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway, or for some Dartmouth Steam and Riverboat Companys class 25 was out and in service - Good, finally and hopefully a start in the right direction to hopefuly make more occasional use of D7535...

Unfortunatly, the day seems to have been dampend slightly by a poster put up in several places in the station - explaining:

'On Friday the 4th of May, we will be operating our D7535 Mercury Diesel Engine and NOT a Steam Train.

The Steam Train will be back in operation on the Saturday 5th of May.

Sorry for any inconvenience'​

Sorry for any inconvenience? Why, If youve advertised that there will be a Class 25 out and about then why should i be inconvenienced? And what about the people who have turned up for the 25!

I for one am glad to see it out again, and hopefully the PDR (I dont care what it's called anymore, as far as i know it as, it will always be the Paignton and Dartmouth!) will take note too - and at least have a few Diesel Days throught the yearly calendar, with much better advertising too! What im not so glad to see though is the comments coming from the steam 'enthusiasts'...Such as The steam is best much beter than DIESEL comments, trying to blank out any form or mentioning of a diesel, and telling anyone who likes diesels to Get A Life!

Why? Why should i get a life when i already have one! Why if anything do you have to be insulting because i like something different to you...I like diesels, and i like some steam too...But with such an annoying and quite frankly p*ss poor attitude...If we are to preserve locos and rolling stock for the future, then we are all going to have to work together - afterall, this is the sort of attitude that won't create events for enthusiasts who prefer diesels to steam, and how would lines like The West Somerset, South Devon, Severn Valley, gloucs warks railway & the Swanage Railway - who all bar one will be hosting Diesel Galas this year get on?...

Jeeze! Rant Over and out!

What they should be apologising for is the fact that they chose to have the class 25 running for one day only, on a weekday (when most of us are at work), and announce it three days before the event (meaning that people have almost no chance of booking a day's leave in time for the 4th.

Thankfully, I had D7535 for haulage in the long distant days when the P&D made a genuine effort to stage gala events (21st June 1992 to be precise).

gnolife

Established Member
'my local station needs a reduction in service' (Man Airport)
'Northern's 142s should take over on the GOBLIN, FGW's 165/166 operated routes and Southern's diesel routes. The nicer trains released from this can be shipped to improve the quality of service over Hope Valley, Calder Valley, Wigan Wallgate lines etc. The dose of perspective recieved will do those southerners good.'

sprinterguy

Established Member
I totally agree. They're absolutely superb suburban trains for frequent stop, short to middle distance journeys.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In such instances, the 150s really are "operating outside of their comfort zone" as it was put in another thread: It's not so much the trains that are at fault, but the rolling stock allocation policy. Although many of the original Regional Railways "Express" routes started out with 150s, before upgrading to 156s and then 158s.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I totally agree. They're absolutely superb suburban trains for frequent stop, short to middle distance journeys.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

In such instances, the 150s really are "operating outside of their comfort zone" as it was put in another thread: It's not so much the trains that are at fault, but the rolling stock allocation policy. Although many of the original Regional Railways "Express" routes started out with 150s, before upgrading to 156s and then 158s.

I suppose so :P
As I said earlier, the refurbed 150/1 I had on the Hope Valley was very good and well suited to it's job. Can a 150 out-accelerate a 142 or 158?
(I assume it can a 153/155/156 due to it being lighter but having the same engines)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I suppose so :P
As I said earlier, the refurbed 150/1 I had on the Hope Valley was very good and well suited to it's job. Can a 150 out-accelerate a 142 or 158?
(I assume it can a 153/155/156 due to it being lighter but having the same engines)

A 150 can certainly out accelerate a 142. I would have thought it would be quicker away from a standing start than a 158 as well, as a 150 is better geared for that sort of work, but I don't know.

SprinterMan

Established Member
A 150 can certainly out accelerate a 142. I would have thought it would be quicker away from a standing start than a 158 as well, as a 150 is better geared for that sort of work, but I don't know.

Unless the current operator of a franchise has done something very wrong (i.e. NXEA) they should be given priority over other bidders when it comes to franchise changes. (I am saying this because we are in danger of losing FGW and Virgin, 2 very good operators)

Schnellzug

Established Member
Unless the current operator of a franchise has done something very wrong (i.e. NXEA) they should be given priority over other bidders when it comes to franchise changes. (I am saying this because we are in danger of losing FGW and Virgin, 2 very good operators)

Oh, very much so. I think franchises really ought to be renwed automatically, as long as it's been up to the stipulated standard. Or if we have to have this tedious pantomime every time, then the most important thing that's taken into consideration should be the past performance (taking into account other franchises the bidder has held as well), not that that shouldn't be taken into account at all.

The 375 King

Hello Everyone,
Ever had an opinion that just about everyone on this site seems to disagree with? Well, this is the thread for them. :D I'll start us off:

Class 444>>>Class 442

Aside from smelly toilets, Pendolinos and Voyagers are in fact as comfortable as or better than most Mark 3 coaches.

IC70 seats are awful.

323s aren't brilliant.

FGW's HSTs are very comfortable and not claustrophobic at all, and the TVs are superb.

The 'one' brand was instantly recognisable and very strong, and NX were morons to kill it.

The XC network now is better than it ever has been before.

WSMR were doomed to fail from the outset, and it is better now that their superb stock has been put to good use.

Please leave your unpopular opinions, however bizarre or obscure :P

Class 465/466 are some of the best trains ever made, light, airy, comfortable and one can open the window on a hot day.

NightStar

Oh lets see, What can a yank offer to the board who has never been in the UK. Things I would liked to have seen where the following,

The Nightstar trains enter service as planned :lol:

The Regional Eurostar service be profitable and give the air lines a run for their money. <D

Highspeed 2 and 3 built, and completed to a plan that makes some sort of logical sense <D

A second tunnel linking Wales and Ireland as recently discovered by the BBC in dusty old plans <D

The return of the Great Isambard Kingdom Brunel's rambling GWR, complete with broad gauge and steam power. :D

Robert

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Agreed!

However, despite all the continued electrification, it is likely that we will be needing new DMUs sometime in the future - So perhaps each new DMU should be built as a DEMU?

Imagine if they had mass-produced 210s instead of 150/153/155/156s. They could be easily converted to bi-mode units and would make things alot easier now.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Agreed!

However, despite all the continued electrification, it is likely that we will be needing new DMUs sometime in the future - So perhaps each new DMU should be built as a DEMU?

You are right about the fact that we will need more DMUs (75 mph units, at the bottom end of the market) by 1 January 2020 because current electrification plans won't cover enough of the network to allow everything withdrawn that needs to be (i.e. cannot be upgraded for DDA).

Good thinking about DEMUs - can a 172 be converted easily?

fgwrich

Established Member
And...Having watched / got distracted whilst doing coursework various videos of DB's & OBBs Rabbits & Taurus locos, the idea of Push Pull shouldnt be ignored, or dragging rolling stock away from the wires - such as the 57/Pendo services on the North Wales Coast. It'd be a much cheaper alternative to the Bi Mode IEP too...

(Although i say this with abit of a soft spot for the Rabbits & Taurus locos)

You are right about the fact that we will need more DMUs (75 mph units, at the bottom end of the market) by 1 January 2020 because current electrification plans won't cover enough of the network to allow everything withdrawn that needs to be (i.e. cannot be upgraded for DDA).

Good thinking about DEMUs - can a 172 be converted easily?

I doubt it, theres no obvious cut out in the roof for anything to be put above, and down below - you'd need to change the bogies or come up with the Siemens alternative for the shoe beam and traction motors to be fitted. However, with more modular traction packages being introduced over time, you could possibly come up with something - but would it be worth the cost?

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
I doubt it, theres no obvious cut out in the roof for anything to be put above, and down below - you'd need to change the bogies or come up with the Siemens alternative for the shoe beam and traction motors to be fitted. However, with more modular traction packages being introduced over time, you could possibly come up with something - but would it be worth the cost?

I don't know how similar a 172 is to a 377 (beyond the LM examples looking similar) - interesting discussion though

Status
Not open for further replies.