• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member
thanks any chance they’ll finish it by end of franchise date?

Approx. 2 weeks per set, so could be close.
6 sets = 12weeks. I reckon finished by the week ending 21 December 2019, or that last set could be released in the new First Trenitalia livery!!
Maybe.

LeylandLen

Two questions ..
1 will all the 390s lose their names ..?

2 I see 390151 has lost its branding, whats the lateset on the Rainbow pendo 390045 ???

driver_m

Established Member
Still in pride as far as I know. It will probably eventually come off as it says Virgin on it. The only ones that definitely lose their names are the specific virgin branded ones. The cities and such will either stay on or removed at the end of the franchise. Though the Bangor/Chester ones have gone due to 390s no longer going on the coast.

FFFC 57

Still in pride as far as I know. It will probably eventually come off as it says Virgin on it. The only ones that definitely lose their names are the specific virgin branded ones. The cities and such will either stay on or removed at the end of the franchise. Though the Bangor/Chester ones have gone due to 390s no longer going on the coast.
I hope First reintroduce cast name plates once again. Vinyls seem a bit cheap and nasty to me.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
I hope First reintroduce cast name plates once again. Vinyls seem a bit cheap and nasty to me.

Agree, cast nameplates are best. What have GWR done with the IETs? Vinyls. Although they might be tied by Hitachi.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Didn't the Bangor name transfer to a Voyager?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
I hope that this tweet can be seen... it has photos from both ends in 390 122 - one view is slightly blurred as the train was moving

https://twitter.com/citytransportin/status/1180238896577335296?s=20

Informed that 390122 was a tester at the one end to see how easy and what time was required to remove all Virgin vinyls. Apparently they are all going to be removed on Class 390s by the 07th December 2019.
Don't know what's going to happen to Class 221s yet. They will probably take some time to do as are in a mess anyway and will eventually be moved on but they might get the neutral treatment with minimalist "LMS" branding, if the WC does become LMS!! :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agree, cast nameplates are best. What have GWR done with the IETs? Vinyls. Although they might be tied by Hitachi.

The very curious thing GWR have done with the IETs is that each set carries two names, almost as if it was the driving coaches rather than the set that was named, in a very HST esque way.

Speed43125

The very curious thing GWR have done with the IETs is that each set carries two names, almost as if it was the driving coaches rather than the set that was named, in a very HST esque way.
Indeed, I think that's really the way to go when you have such long sets though. A 9 car sporting the same name 4 times feels a bit much. And being GWR the whole heritage of being like the classic stuff they replaced is quite nice.
That said, the simple VTWC style of just naming it 'City of Glasgow' ir probably best on such ubiquitous and as yet, relatively modern stock, as long as they don't copy Virgin but with First and call them something like "First Challenger''.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That said, the simple VTWC style of just naming it 'City of Glasgow' ir probably best on such ubiquitous and as yet, relatively modern stock, as long as they don't copy Virgin but with First and call them something like "First Challenger''.

I'd keep the city names, add a few more to complete the set, and call them "City Class Pendolinos".

First does understand the power of classic names - the names of the TPE 68s are all very Warship-esque.

387star

On Moderation
Informed that 390122 was a tester at the one end to see how easy and what time was required to remove all Virgin vinyls. Apparently they are all going to be removed on Class 390s by the 07th December 2019.
Don't know what's going to happen to Class 221s yet. They will probably take some time to do as are in a mess anyway and will eventually be moved on but they might get the neutral treatment with minimalist "LMS" branding, if the WC does become LMS!! :D
Few years of a mess of liveries before things settle down for a long while ?

We have do many new companies there's few companies with undisturbed liveries

I guess southern is now one of the longest running

C2C could do with a better livery

Ladder23

Established Member
I noticed today 2/3 trains passing me whilst working between Bletchley and MK which were in all grey, I’m not sure if it’s new, but I haven’t cottoned on before as I ain’t really keen on the virgin 390 trains, I did come to look for a thread on these and happened to see these recently bumped so obviously something is happening!

Now gives me something else to look for.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
As an aside, the station de-branding has also supposedly started.around the midlands and will be gradually spreading around.

driver_m

Established Member
apparently the voyagers are to get a refresh of some kind before they leave the franchise to be replaced by the 23 new ones. No idea what exactly it entails, but it specifically mentions it alongside the refurb of pendos. Amongst some other proposals such as confirming the plans to go for the extra services and new destinations by 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.