• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will something be done about the Whitby branch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Not suggesting hourly to Whitby is feasible but could the current Nunthorpe terminators be extended to Great Ayton, Danby or Glaisdale to give the Stokesley area and the National Park a proper railhead?

And nobody answered my question about signalling- surely transfer of the signalling to York would be an opportunity for an upgrade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As far as I can see in the Sectional Appendix there is very little track above DMU50 on the entire line, which means a Class 230 is likely to substantially beat Super Sprinter timings. 400hp on something like 30 tonnes and all axles motored on a 2-car set? It will take off like a rocket.

They do. The acceleration is basically the same as their Tube days, if anything slightly better.

OMGitsDAVE

For those of you who are playing this line down - have you actually travelled on it? A 2 car 156 is full and standing on most services throughout the day on this line - especially in summer.

Arriva operate a half hourly bus service from Middlesbrough direct to Whitby - therefore, there is a market. These buses actually get pretty busy too, and having used both options regularly over the years, I can see plenty of potential growth.

In fact, on several occasions I've seen people switch to Saltburn services when they were unable to climb aboard the inadequate service Northern delivered to Whitby at Middlesbrough. Why would you gamble to use a service (with a return) when there's no clue you'll get back that evening? Likewise, i've seen services leave Whitby full and unable to accommodate all of those wanting to return. It's a pretty sad state of affairs. Not only does this service provide links to Whitby, but as others have said, the NYMR and villages on the route rely on this service - and use it frequently.

philjo

Established Member
A Darlington - Whitby service would make it much easier to change from mainline services (LNER/XC etc) and would cut at least 30 minutes from the journey time due to improved connections. Also all platforms at Darlington are on the same level so no stairs/lifts needed to change trains.

At the moment for us to get to Whitby (Stevenage is our closest LNER station) involves the LNER stopper from Stevenage to York (Or get LNER to Leeds) then a tight (8 minute) change onto TPE & 1 hour + wait at Middlesbrough or 1 Hour 6 min wait at York for the next the service to Middlesbrough. then change again.

Glenn1969

Established Member
I'm a Yorkshireman. Having to go via Middlesbrough means it takes a minimum of 5 hours to get to Whitby even from Halifax when you factor in changing twice and the detour from York to Whitby via Middlesbrough. Even the Leeds to Whitby bus is quicker

scarby

Of course, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, reopening the short stretch (12 miles I believe) from Picton to Battersby would really open up prospects for a decent Whitby service.

quantinghome

Established Member
I'm a Yorkshireman. Having to go via Middlesbrough means it takes a minimum of 5 hours to get to Whitby even from Halifax when you factor in changing twice and the detour from York to Whitby via Middlesbrough. Even the Leeds to Whitby bus is quicker

Google maps suggests it can be done in just over 4 hours but still, it's not a practical option. The best public transport option from Leeds appears to be a train to Scarborough then bus which takes just under 2 1/2 hours. It would take a heck of an upgrade of the Whitby rail line to compete with that on time.

SideshowBob

And nobody answered my question about signalling- surely transfer of the signalling to York would be an opportunity for an upgrade.
Is this actually on the cards? AIUI, York ROC don't yet have control of the whole of the York - Scarborough line so whether the Esk Valley is on the list and how high a priority it is in comparison, I've no idea. If it happens, it would seem likely that the Esk Valley signalling would be upgraded as part of the process, though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What's not realistic about it? People do travel from places like West & South Yorkshire to Whitby by train, so I don't understand why you think it would not be an improvement? The Coastliner is OK if you don't mind being stuck on a bus for three hours providing the A64 isn't locked solid, which it often is. Plus the 840 only runs a few times a day, so capacity is very limited, especially if travelling with luggage. And of course for people travelling from beyond Yorkshire the Coastliner is even less attractive, even if picked up from York where it is often already rammed.

We have to be realistic about this. Journey times simply are not going to be competitive:

Sheffield to Whitby is about 4 hours by train. It is 2 hours 20 by car
Bradford to Whitby is about 4 hours. It is just over 2 hours by car
Doncaster to Whitby only 3 1/2 hours . It is just over 2 hours by car

By train you are going to have to leave very early to arrive about noon, get about 4 hours in Whitby and have to leave at 1600 to get home! Personally I think if you don't have a car or a decent bus service you have to be REALLY committed to go on a day trip to Whitby. If you want a seaside trip by train then Scarborough is a better bet from most of the Ridings.

More services along the branch line might help but only marginally because of the journey time. You could try and fill in the gap between 0700 and 1020 or start the 1020 back form Darlington ( but then you run into the Saltburn services) which might buy you an extra hour in Whitby but you have to be careful not to conflict with the 0845 running back from Whitby AND leave space for the earliest NYMR arrival! OF COURSE extra services would be a real help to locals.

An earlier arrival into Whitby isnt going to help as the first train is an 0630 off Darlington/0700 off Middlesbrough. The line is so slow that the 1934 from Whitby misses the last TPE south from Middlesbrough ( which is frustrating and should be fixed!). It does give you a chance of the 2146 south from Darlington but it is very tight on the connection. The following TPE gives you a chance of the last trains off Leeds but again it is a very tight connection.

potentially yes but the signalling is "interesting"

Agreed. Looking at it in detail I don't think the service is main the problem. The speed of the service is.

Bantamzen

Established Member
We have to be realistic about this. Journey times simply are not going to be competitive:

Thanks for the timings, but I am aware of how long it takes. However what Google Maps or whatever resource tells you is one thing, actually driving there can be another. At the height of the summer you can sometimes had at least another hour onto the drive if the A64 clogs up, which is the route many people would take. Sutton Bank & the through Helms Deep, sorry Helmsley is another option by some people are put off that climb.

By train you are going to have to leave very early to arrive about noon, get about 4 hours in Whitby and have to leave at 1600 to get home! Personally I think if you don't have a car or a decent bus service you have to be REALLY committed to go on a day trip to Whitby. If you want a seaside trip by train then Scarborough is a better bet from most of the Ridings.

Again you are focusing in on day-trippers, Whitby sees a lot of longer stays than just this demographic. I have done the journey from Baildon, & I know lots of people that do the journey from much further away, so I am quite aware of the timings. And yet they still us the train.

More services along the branch line might help but only marginally because of the journey time. You could try and fill in the gap between 0700 and 1020 or start the 1020 back form Darlington ( but then you run into the Saltburn services) which might buy you an extra hour in Whitby but you have to be careful not to conflict with the 0845 running back from Whitby AND leave space for the earliest NYMR arrival! OF COURSE extra services would be a real help to locals.

An earlier arrival into Whitby isnt going to help as the first train is an 0630 off Darlington/0700 off Middlesbrough. The line is so slow that the 1934 from Whitby misses the last TPE south from Middlesbrough ( which is frustrating and should be fixed!). It does give you a chance of the 2146 south from Darlington but it is very tight on the connection. The following TPE gives you a chance of the last trains off Leeds but again it is a very tight connection.

More services and/or better connectivity is going to help those people that do travel the journey by train, and might generate more. I am not going to pretend for a minute that there will be some mass exodus from car to train, but you are deliberately ignoring the types of journeys made & why, which isn't helpful if I'm being honest. As I have said, I have made the journey to Whitby 15 times in the last decade, a few by road, a few by rail directly to Whitby & most by rail via Scarborough & taxi. Were there better and/or more connections for Whitby from West Yorkshire / York I would make the direct route my preferred option, if for no other reason that I'm not keen in forking up to £30 on a taxi each way (being from Yorkshire & tight obviously).

SideshowBob

Surely the main hindrance to getting to Whitby by rail from points south and west is the lack of a line between Malton and Pickering? If you're coming from the north, that in itself doesn't matter so much.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The gist I'm getting from this thread are that poor journey times are a huge barrier. So perhaps it's worth asking if there are any easy wins for improving journey times.

Just looking at the timetable and an OS map of the area, and checking station usage figures: Battersby is used by about 5 people a day. If you closed the station and built a chord to avoid having the trains reverse there, I would imagine that would save about 8 minutes instantly (But I'm writing without any local knowledge so happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken). Is that do-able? Is there anything similar that can be done?

If a couple of extra services could be fitted in without too many infrastructure improvements, could those run fast, skipping quite a few of the less used stops?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surely the main hindrance to getting to Whitby by rail from points south and west is the lack of a line between Malton and Pickering? If you're coming from the north, that in itself doesn't matter so much.

Probably, but that isnt going to change so we have to work with what we have.

Thanks for the timings, but I am aware of how long it takes.

there are posters here who will have no idea where Bradford is in relation to Whitby. It helps people understand the point made. That point is that the car is quicker, even if it takes 3 hours because the train takes 4, even without changes. That isnt going to change with or without more services.

Also, if we want to look clever I also know the way to Whitby. Personally if I was driving I would go via Sutton Bank ( how can anyone be frightened of driving up a hill?). However going via the A1>A19>A171 isnt going to be that much slower if the roads are so clogged with Yorkshire day trippers as you suggest. I might even go via Rosedale if I wanted a decent drive out. Even then: Still, sadly, quicker than the train!

More services and/or better connectivity is going to help those people that do travel the journey by train, and might generate more. I am not going to pretend for a minute that there will be some mass exodus from car to train, but you are deliberately ignoring the types of journeys made & why, which isn't helpful if I'm being honest. As I have said, I have made the journey to Whitby 15 times in the last decade, a few by road, a few by rail directly to Whitby & most by rail via Scarborough & taxi. Were there better and/or more connections for Whitby from West Yorkshire / York I would make the direct route my preferred option, if for no other reason that I'm not keen in forking up to £30 on a taxi each way (being from Yorkshire & tight obviously).

I wouldn't even consider a taxi! Although one of the lads I go to the match with lives near Whitby and often gets a cab to and from Scarborough station to make his journey via TPE.

As for better connections it seems you are overlooking, perhaps willfully, the speed of the line. It simply isnt competitive even with a connection from some point in Yorkshire. You are looking at a 0700 ish departure and an arrival some time around 1030. That buys you 90 minutes extra in Whitby even if such a service could be accommodated. It might make your journey easy ( which seems to be the desire here) but wont help that many.

To use the train for a day visit makes your day very long, even with a train offering 5.5 instead of 4 hours in of Whitby. MOST of the day is taken up sat on the train. That might be wonderful for the users of this board. It isnt attractive for most normal people.

What might help is making the later train connect with the TPE service from Middlesbrough. That gives you a decent day in Whitby but still means your day is long and requires lots of travel time.

Again you are focusing in on day-trippers, Whitby sees a lot of longer stays than just this demographic. I have done the journey from Baildon, & I know lots of people that do the journey from much further away, so I am quite aware of the timings. And yet they still us the train.

I am focusing on day trippers. They are people you CAN win from the car, at least in theory. People going for a long time are less time critical and can take the journey as part of the experience. That said, If I was staying in Whitby and I had a car I would drive so I could easily get out into the surrounding countryside and explore. I suspect almost everyone I know would also do the same. Perhaps it is an age thing.

I have done the journey to Whitby from all over because it is a really nice place and i like it. Most importantly for this discussion from Leeds where my GF lives. The train takes c.3 1/2 hours and costs a fortune. Driving took just over 90 minutes. We drove.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just looking at the timetable and an OS map of the area, and checking station usage figures: Battersby is used by about 5 people a day. If you closed the station and built a chord to avoid having the trains reverse there, I would imagine that would save about 8 minutes instantly (But I'm writing without any local knowledge so happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken). Is that do-able? Is there anything similar that can be done?

Looking at a map it looks doable. And if you wanted to keep the station by rebuilding it there (arguably fairly pointless, but these things can get political), the location for a chord would actually be nearer the nearest village than the station is.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The gist I'm getting from this thread are that poor journey times are a huge barrier. So perhaps it's worth asking if there are any easy wins for improving journey times.

If a couple of extra services could be fitted in without too many infrastructure improvements, could those run fast, skipping quite a few of the less used stops?

Doing that is an idea. The issue is that takes out one of the three crossing points on the line so you are going to need to build a loop. IRC the passing places are:
  • Nunthorpe
  • Battersby
  • Glaisdale

Bantamzen

Established Member
there are posters here who will have no idea where Bradford is in relation to Whitby. It helps people understand the point made. That point is that the car is quicker, even if it takes 3 hours because the train takes 4, even without changes. That isnt going to change with or without more services.

Also, if we want to look clever I also know the way to Whitby. Personally if I was driving I would go via Sutton Bank ( how can anyone be frightened of driving up a hill?). However going via the A1>A19>A171 isnt going to be that much slower if the roads are so clogged with Yorkshire day trippers as you suggest. I might even go via Rosedale if I wanted a decent drive out. Even then: Still, sadly, quicker than the train!

Nobody is disputing the timings. There are other factors that can have an impact such as congestion, parking etc.

I wouldn't even consider a taxi! Although one of the lads I go to the match with lives near Whitby and often gets a cab to and from Scarborough station to make his journey via TPE.

You would travelling to Whitby for a long weekend, or sometimes a week with two suitcases. We, as in my wife and I go there for the Gothic Weekends & that means we like to travel with a lot of changes of outfits. Dragging those onto the X93 isn't going to happen with us. I know plenty of others feel the same, indeed we've shared many a taxi from Scarborough as a result.

As for better connections it seems you are overlooking, perhaps willfully, the speed of the line. It simply isnt competitive even with a connection from some point in Yorkshire. You are looking at a 0700 ish departure and an arrival some time around 1030. That buys you 90 minutes extra in Whitby even if such a service could be accommodated. It might make your journey easy ( which seems to be the desire here) but wont help that many.

I'm not overlooking anything, as has been mentioned time & again the Whitby line isn't just used by day-trippers. Whitby has a very large number of holiday lettings as I'm sure you are aware, and people travelling there will generally be looking to land at lunchtime onwards. So mid to late morning connections off major routes would be beneficial, as timings are not so critical.

To use the train for a day visit makes your day very long, even with a train offering 5.5 instead of 4 hours in of Whitby. MOST of the day is taken up sat on the train. That might be wonderful for the users of this board. It isnt attractive for most normal people.

What might help is making the later train connect with the TPE service from Middlesbrough. That gives you a decent day in Whitby but still means your day is long and requires lots of travel time.

I am focusing on day trippers. They are people you CAN win from the car, at least in theory. People going for a long time are less time critical and can take the journey as part of the experience. That said, If I was staying in Whitby and I had a car I would drive so I could easily get out into the surrounding countryside and explore. I suspect almost everyone I know would also do the same. Perhaps it is an age thing.

I have done the journey to Whitby from all over because it is a really nice place and i like it. Most importantly for this discussion from Leeds where my GF lives. The train takes c.3 1/2 hours and costs a fortune. Driving took just over 90 minutes. We drove.

And I am not making claims that improved connections will see any kind of large numbers of day trippers switching modes, though the chronic problems with parking is certainly driving modal changes for people travelling within the closer region. However for people closer in, better connectivity might attract people from your neck of the woods, especially if there were some direct services. But the point is that Whitby is a holiday destination as much as it is a day-out one. Much of Whitby's economy is driven by the latter, especially when combined with the various events in the town. And here better connections will make a big difference, especially if it means they can leave the car at home and spend hours driving around the own trying to find somewhere to leave the car for a few days.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@Bantamzen VERY Happy to concede the parking is diabolical at times!

BTW I am not saying no one travels by train for, say, a long weekend. My issue is that they aren't the people the train can win in big numbers because I think they will make a conscious choice to use the train knowing it will take ages but building that into their trip. The day tripper is the person making a spur of the moment choice for a day out at the seaside. The railway isnt winning them. They are the people to focus on because i think there is a bigger slice of the pie to win there.

The other interesting group is would be commuters from Whitby to Middlesbrough. Is there a market there that simply inst catered for?

As for the Goth weekend. AVOID. Not my thing. Not my thing at all! Although it is clear it is a thing for many!

Darandio

Established Member
Parking can indeed be diabolical but everyone heads straight for the harbour and they fight for the last few spaces in the car parks down there. We've always just headed up to Abbey Headland and parked up there - plenty of overflow as well - before walking down the steps into town. I appreciate that isn't an option for all though, there are a lot of steps! I think there is a shuttle bus service from up there though.

yoyothehobo

Back when I lived in Stockton/Thornaby i got the train to Whitby once (return) for a day trip on a reasonable summer saturday and I dont recall it being too full. If i wanted a day at the sea side I would get the train to Saltburn, would drive to most places in the moors and the only reason we took the train that day was for the actual journey, its a balance between a fairly scenic yet slow journey and enjoying quite a scenic and low populated part of the world slowly or just wanting to get to Whitby and be a tourist as fast as possible for which I would normally drive.

I have also spent more time doing work on the track on that line than travelling on it and let me tell you its a long cold walk between access points!!!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
When I used to travel to Whitby to watch Bradford in the NPL, I found that the hourly 93 bus from Scarborough to Whitby was almost always overcrowded. So much so that I used to arrive at the stop in Scarborough 20 mins before departure. And rail connections at Middlesbrough were so tight and unreliable that this was a risky route. And even NYMR through workings used to arrive in Pickering after the last bus had left. Getting to and from Whitby is a nightmare. Have things improved in recent years?

Bantamzen

Established Member
@Bantamzen VERY Happy to concede the parking is diabolical at times!

We agree on something? I feel faint.... ;)

BTW I am not saying no one travels by train for, say, a long weekend. My issue is that they aren't the people the train can win in big numbers because I think they will make a conscious choice to use the train knowing it will take ages but building that into their trip. The day tripper is the person making a spur of the moment choice for a day out at the seaside. The railway isnt winning them. They are the people to focus on because i think there is a bigger slice of the pie to win there.

I'd say a couple more paths, and perhaps strengthening in holiday periods would help cater for both sets.

[
The other interesting group is would be commuters from Whitby to Middlesbrough. Is there a market there that simply inst catered for?

I think in previous threads on the subject there has been some discussion of the town needing an earlier service out of Whitby. As there is not likely to be many heading to Whitby at silly o'clock in the morning, perhaps an ECS move, albeit long one could provision an earlier service into Middlesbrough to satisfy that particular niche?

[As for the Goth weekend. AVOID. Not my thing. Not my thing at all! Although it is clear it is a thing for many!

Oh I can't wait. A weekend of beer and music, which contrary to what some people think is what we generally do. Lots, and I do mean lots of people day trip to see "The Goffs", but in reality we are the ones hiding away in the pubs, ingesting pints of snakebites, whilst the Steampunks parade around the town (and annoyingly up at St Mary's church & graveyard) pleasing the togs and gawpers. Then at night we sneak up to the Spa for the music. Many years a group of about 20 of us were enjoying a pint in the Granby when one day tripper was heard to ask "So were are all the Goffs?". We were sat "incognito" next to her, just not dressed up for the night yet. Sneaky lot us....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Question is how much employment is there. On Monday night I travelled from Hull on the 1740 TPE, I had expected it to be busy with people going home from work - but it wasn't, not even slightly. I suspect the reason for this is that there aren't enough jobs for the locals, let alone for those who would commute in by train.

That said, that's another Conwy Valley parallel - a service that doesn't really provide for commuting to the nearest large town (Llandudno in that case).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh I can't wait. A weekend of beer and music, which contrary to what some people think is what we generally do. Lots, and I do mean lots of people day trip to see "The Goffs", but in reality we are the ones hiding away in the pubs, ingesting pints of snakebites

That's where you went wrong. How to ruin a perfectly good half of lager and half of cider. Or how to make a poor half of lager and half of cider even worse, if they're Fosters and Strongbow. Never understood doing that.

:)

Bantamzen

Established Member
That's where you went wrong. How to ruin a perfectly good half of lager and half of cider. Or how to make a poor half of lager and half of cider even worse, if they're Fosters and Strongbow. Never understood doing that.

:)

Its kind of a tradition, don't ask me why, it gives you a killer hangover especially with the cheap stuff. And I'll just say this quietly, I tend to limit it to the first couple on arrival (to keep with said tradition like) before settling into something less illness inducing... :D

The Lad

I'm not at all sure that the 'signalling' down the branch is actually controlled from Nunthorpe. Battersby is Automatic with local overides and just about everything else is point indicators. I think Nunthorpe controls the passing loop and the level crossing, supervises the token working and interfaces with Middlesbrough.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Conversations about taking on market share from West or South Yorkshire to Whitby are generally fanciful. I point out that a return from Sheffield to Whitby, for one adult, is more than £60. From Bradford is more than £50. From Leeds is £50. Let's say that two adults and two children are going from Leeds, and let's say the best case scenario, we already posses a family railcard. The bill is still £76.40 for a day trip. Even if there were an hourly service to Whitby on comparable journey times to the car, there is no way nearly £80 on fares will be attractive to the market segment people are talking about here. In general, Advance tickets are unavailable, because TransPennine Express have chosen not to make them available. Websites such as trainsplit.com can get the fares down to around half this, but most people won't know about that, and that would still be too much for most family daytrippers.

option

If you can the train that does it in 40 minutes, and stops at all the stations, I'd love to see it.

11 stations, so if you allow 1minute per station, the current service is at 30mph.
(though it's not spending 1minute per station, so it's not even averaging 30mph)

If the average could be got up to 40mph, even with 1min per station, you cut 10minutes off the Glaisdale timings.

option

Part of me wonders, if rolling stock availability were no object, it wouldn't be better to run a 2-hourly service between Darlington and Whitby, providing better main line connections.

There's also plenty of platform capacity to wait in.

Why not run the service to Whitby, & Saltburn, from Newcastle?
If Whitby & Saltburn were hourly, they could be timed so they ran half-hourly on Newcastle-Middlesbrough.

option

You can cut out the reverse, & a level crossing, if the new track was north of Battersby Avenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.