• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR to finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
At exactly 1328 the final train left Wrexham's platform three driven by RF member TDK, with very long blasts on both the 67s & DVTs sirens,it departed.
The train with a special brass WSMR badge on the front was packed with every available seat taken,both platform three and platform one saw hundreds of well wishers gathered for this celebration of WSMRs short life.
It was a tearful occasion to many especially staff, and I had the occasion to speak to many who contribute to this forum including Driver TDK as he prepared his train, many had travelled great distances both by car and train, some were making the return journey back to London, some had just started on the return journey due back into Wrexham just before 2300 this evening. I should add all the bridges were packed with fans and I am sure it will be same all along the track.

ITV Wales had a camera crew, filming the packed platforms and then leaving with the train, this will be shown on ITV Wales at 1800 this evening,those of you out of Wales can see it Via satellite. BBC & S4C were also filming.

Well that's it, I have started a new thread because photos will be uploaded soon.

Thanks WSMR, we enjoyed the fight to get you here, for three years you set the example of how it should be done. you will be missed, my collection of W/S mugs will now be hung up,too valuable to use now.

Bob

Should have said the train was five coaches long fully loaded,and Andy Hamilton was on board to explain the decision to passengers.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Not the fastest way to get from Cheshire to London

Since they don't serve Cheshire, I'd have to agree...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
MoC (Moderation of Competition) ends on 1st April 2012, with the restrictions being lifted somewhat in May 2011, which basically shifts the ORCATS modal values, ie LM and other franchised operators who previously had set values could apply to change them. This would have not helped WSMR as when the agreement was written up for protected flows, they didn't exist.

ORR have stated that MoC is detrimental to the railway model we have at current, and I think the DfT agreed not to use it again in any situation where the Govt shoulders risk and responsibility in line with the franchisee.

Reading between the lines, when this was written in 2006 and again in 2009, this basically means DfT won't write it into any future franchise commitments unless the franchisee is willing to take no subsidy from the Govt, in return for a potentially higher return for both Govt and franchisee through protected income flow.

I think blaming the Moderation of Competition for WSMR's demise is far too simple. Thought having said that, there's a lot of "fairytale" in the way some people see this story.

If you want TOCs to invest, if you want to encourage them to grow then the price you have to pay is to guarantee certain flows. AFAIK the rules were there before WSMR set up, they can't blame the rules for their demise.

Drimnagh Road

I believe there is an e.c.s. tomorrow, Saturday Wrexham-Wembley.

Wrexham 11:23
Shrewsbury 12:07
Bescot 12:58
B'Ham Intl 13:24
Rugby 13:54
Wembley (LMD)* 15:21

* LMD ? Wherever that is...

CosherB

Established Member
Since they don't serve Cheshire, I'd have to agree...

It may come as a shock, tbtc, but there's a train that connects Cheshire to Shrewsbury, from where one picked up the WSMR service to Marylebone. So that's how you get from Cheshire to the Capital using WSMR! Not magic, is it?

Virgin do it much faster of course (about half the time), but when I could spare the time, I always went via WSMR.

It was very special, despite having to tack on that AW connection to complete the journey to or from Cheshire.

tbtc

Veteran Member
It may come as a shock, tbtc, but there's a train that connects Cheshire to Shrewsbury, from where one picked up the WSMR service to Marylebone. So that's how you get from Cheshire to the Capital using WSMR! Not magic, is it?

Virgin do it much faster of course (about half the time), but when I could spare the time, I always went via WSMR.

It was very special, despite having to tack on that AW connection to complete the journey to or from Cheshire.

:lol:
I've just seen an advert for the Six Nations rugby on BBC1. In the advert you see a couple of Welsh fans embracing in front of a train (en route to a rugby match, presumably).

Looks like they have taken a Chiltern Clubman and are getting off at London Marylebone.

But, Chiltern don't run Clubmans from Wales to Marylebone? Hmm, maybe they will be in a few weeks... ;)

will1337

I am on the 1830 now in coach b, the buffet is running out of alcohol rapidly and there are people standing. Marylebone was busy and the main PIS on the departure boards had a message saying that it was the last day of W&S operations and wishing the staff and passengers well.

TomJ93

Hey Will, if you save me a seat i'll see you when I get on at Leamington!

Pumbaa

Established Member
I've just seen an advert for the Six Nations rugby on BBC1. In the advert you see a couple of Welsh fans embracing in front of a train (en route to a rugby match, presumably).

Looks like they have taken a Chiltern Clubman and are getting off at London Marylebone.

But, Chiltern don't run Clubmans from Wales to Marylebone? Hmm, maybe they will be in a few weeks... ;)

I saw that earlier and thought exactly the same!! :lol:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Last edited:

andyfrommk

I got the 10:34 from Banbury to Wrexham General and back, First Class.
Shame I couldn't have done it earlier.

I didn't take a lot of videos but there were many enthusiasts on the stations we passed through so I'm sure there will be videos on youtube in time

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was at Marylebone too, lots of people about and train was very busy.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Well I went up to Shrewsbury on the 11:42 from Tame Bridge Parkway and managed to capture the 14:07 back to Marylebone.

The staff were very pleasant and kind under the circumstances, not got a bad thing to say about any of them.

When the 14:07 came in, some of the staff were already hugging each other, some were in tears, they got shown respect by London Midland staff that were there and in true leaving style, the driver didn't give a damn who he peed off, he gave the horn everything that 67013 had and London Midland gave him the same back!

One guess who didn't show them any respect and looked disgusted by their mere presence?

GodAtum

On Moderation
I dont know much about running a business but I wonder why the news was so sudden? Did anyone in the company know before it happened?

TomJ93

Froze my tits off but was totally worth it.

Berkswell at 85mph is such fun! Felt like a party train.

Was a perfect send off and the staff all got kind words from everyone on board.

Even Wolverhampton station gave them a nice word.

now sat on the 21:45 VT to Euston.
Froze my tits off but was totally worth it.

Berkswell at 85mph is such fun! Felt like a party train.

Was a perfect send off and the staff all got kind words from everyone on board.

Even Wolverhampton station gave them a nice word.

now sat on the 21:45 VT to Euston.

Simon Poole

I got the 10:34 from Banbury to Wrexham General and back, First Class.
Shame I couldn't have done it earlier.

I didn't take a lot of videos but there were many enthusiasts on the stations we passed through so I'm sure there will be videos on youtube in time

That would stopped at Tame Bridge Parkway at 1142! i was on that Train from Tame Bridge Parkway to Shrewsbury!

I also got down to Leamington Spa and boarded the 1750 to to Wrexham General but got off at Tame Briidge Parkway

During an Visit to the Buffet Car i did hear one WSMR Staff telling an Passenger that they might get jobs wiith Chiltern Railways!

TomJ93

Sadly Simon I heard staff saying they will have to fight each other for jobs within DB. Must be awful when they are such a tight knit bunch.

TomJ93

One man I spoke to hopes to be going for a guard's job with ATW.

I think at the moment the worse of will be the ladies who did the catering, once Chiltern start catering on more trains maybe they will be useful.

Though how many of them want to travel from Wrexham to B'ham?

andyfrommk

That would stopped at Tame Bridge Parkway at 1142! i was on that Train from Tame Bridge Parkway to Shrewsbury!!
I was going to report my position and ask others to do the same so we could have a RF meetup but a combination of non-existant wifi, bad gprs signal and the most wonderful travelling companions put paid to that.

It was mostly Elderly people in First class, most of which were there because they heard about the good service and had to experience it before it ended.

Maybe it was the fact that WSMR was ending that gave the people in that coach a common subject to talk about but I've never got on a train and fallen deep in conversation so quickly and for so long.

TomJ93 said:
Sadly Simon I heard staff saying they will have to fight each other for jobs within DB.
I heard the same thing, *cough* Tall bloke, perchance? *cough*.
I'm kicking myself for not using this service when it could have made the difference

Andy Hamilton was in the vestibule as I was preparing to leave, he confirmed that, Monday morning, expect to see WSMR coaches used in Chilterns LHCS

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Everyone who watched Gavin and Stacey knows the Essex boy boarded a train at Marylebone to get to Barry.

martinsh

Established Member
Well I paid my last respects earlier today. Took a long (4 hour) lunch break from work (I can do that – I own the company !) and travelled down from Stafford to do a return trip Wolverhampton – Shrewsbury.

Cross Country dropped me off 20 minutes before the WMSR was due in Wolves – and I was surprised at the lack of people on the platform awaiting it’s arrival, but slowly they appeared, and by the time it was due there were a fair few people with cameras at the ready. It was a few minutes down, but eventually there was activity from the p-way gang at Crane St Junction, and a DVT appeared from the Bescot direction. Grabbed a few photos as it went past, then rushed to get on board.

The formation was DVT, RMB, 4xTSO + 67013. This was one more than I was expecting, but it appears that is the standard rake. Left the rearmost coach to the haulage freaks and boarded the next coach. No trouble at all finding a seat, though a block of 4 to myself was obviously impossible. About 50% of the passengers appeared to be enthusiasts – though in some cases it was difficult to distinguish these from WMSR staff ! [ The other 2 people in my block were normal passengers ]

Though I had travelled on WMSR a couple of times before, this was my first trip for some time. And I was immediately struck by the quality of the refurbishment of the coaches – if these are now left to stand idle it will be an absolutely criminal waste !

Had a fairly spirited run. Cosford had platforms too short for the extra coach, so announcements were given. Only a few got on or off there though. More got on at Telford, but I think they were mainly enthusiasts.

All too soon we were arriving at Shrewsbury, where it was time to disembark. Most of the non-enthusiasts appeared to get off here – which may give a clue to the company’s problems. Took a few photos, including a few walking down the platform as it was leaving. [ My attempt to get a pseudo-shot through the gap on platform 7 was foiled by a class 175 arriving from Crewe ! ]

It was never my intention to catch the return working – I reckon it would be too full. But I had 50 mins until an Arriva departure back to Wolves, so I did what everyone should do at a wake. I went for a pint at the Shrewsbury Hotel * - I had a very nice O’Hanlons Port Stout.

What can you say when your favourite TOC is no more ? Thanks for the memories, and for showing others how style and customer care should be done. You will be much missed.

* - I realise that isn’t the nearest of best pub in town, but I fancied going there.

RPM

Established Member
I couldn't be at Marylebone to see the send off as I was in the turnback siding at Bicester at the time but I passed the final train at West Wycombe and gave them a good blast on the horn. When I got to Marylebone there was a floral wreath on the buffer stops of platform 3. Rather poignant.

Arriva158

It was a very sad farewell on the final stretch from Telford - Gobowen (where i finally alighted) and the staff were in floods of tears and even recieving a hug from one of the female staff members myself, felt as though they were friends rather than unknown people,
Feel the heartache for them already, was such a fantastic company RIP WSMR!
:(

laird

Sadly I'm not aboard as 67013 draws the final Wrexham and Shropshire service, 12 late having lost time on its way to Banbury. It would have been nice to have been there for that last journey to Wrexham.

Meanwhile the 1630 Marylebone to Wrexham has arrived 3 minutes late (the last but one service) into Wrexham General's Platform 3.

Before WSMR I had for work been travelling between Reading and Telford via Wolverhampton taking advantage of the Voyager first class but when WSMR appeared with a call at Banbury well timed for the connection to Reading there was clearly only one choice for me as the enthusiast. My meetings in Telford suddenly became timed to match the WSMR timetable.
I don't think I could fault the service at any point.

On my first trip I was one of the very few fare paying passengers in First Class on an early Northbound service, in those days First Class tended to be the home of a variety of WSMR and Chiltern staff. Indeed on my first trip shortly after the service started I ended up sat with Andy Hamilton of WSMR. I am sad I didn't get the opportunity to chat with him and commiserate but it was nice to see him again today aboard the service.

I'm led to believe pretty much all the staff of WSMR will have been on the last leg from Shrewsbury to Wrexham tonight, I do hope that the tears which were forming with many even this morning will be short lived and the team will soon be back working and delivering the excellent service for which they can be rightly proud.

From Monday the carriages will be in service with Chiltern although the future is less certain for the buffet cars, perhaps the Birmingham Moor Street to Marylebone services will grow and tempt Chiltern into introducing a buffet and first class facility. Certainly it would be a shame to see Banbury lose its final service conveying a buffet.

I'm not sure what the atmosphere would have been like on the Morning Southbound services, the morning Northbound felt like a farewell party with much chatter in coach B, the train was very busy, full and standing in first class although it seemed everyone got a seat. A good number of passengers took the opportunity for lunch at Shrewsbury while the regular and surprised occasional traveller listened in to the announcements thanking us for our custom over the years.
The buffet did a roaring trade all the way up, selling out of bacon and sausages. Toast kept appearing and it was clear that almost everything else was selling out quickly.

The nine minutes at Wrexham were barely enough to turn the train around. Trolleys full of buffet goodies were towed down the platform and boarding began, it was clear there were far more buffet staff than normal, almost a case of how many people can you squeeze into one buffet! As we began the journey back the buffet announcement included the news that service was without milk, a phone call later supplies were arranged at Shrewsbury with more to be obtained in Marylebone. Just an indication of the dedication that the WSMR team have shown not just today but over the years to pleasing the customer.

Continuing South and a lunch of Tea and bacon rolls later it was difficult to find a seat, the inevitable comment being if only this number of passengers had been a regular occurrence.
First class was full, ticket holders having to take up the space in standard which itself was difficult to find a seat in.

Now as this chapter in open access closes I guess we can only hope it isn't the end to the book, perhaps we might see an inside story book similar to that of Barbara Cassani's work on the airline Go - I for one would be delighted to read it.

Thinking back to previous trips ...
I'm sure we could all tell funny tales of the service we received, my recollection of going out of the ordinary was the train manager fetching hot water from the DVT boiler after the buffet car heater failed. This worked well until just after leaving Leamington Spa for Wrexham the DVT door closed behind him with the keys on the wrong side. For once the stagger that ensued through following a unit toward Solihull came to the rescue, a quick exchange between driver and train manager arranged that when we were inevitably stopped at a red the train manager jumped out of the first class onto the ballast and then back up into the DVT before reapplying the central door lock and giving the two bells for departure. The passengers in standard class had no idea of the efforts he went to in order to get them hot water!

OMGitsDAVE

It's a shame to see them go.
Judging by what people have said above, professionalism until the last millisecond. WSMR - You will be missed.

I feel terrible on the staff, despite not knowing many of them - they were more like relatives than a staff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.