• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR brand names - still exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
Regarding bringing back any of the BR Brands or Intercity or Merlin Livery: NO!

Like it or not, this is not 1989, and the halcyon days are long gone, and so are those brands, they were designed of an age, and belong to an age. I am sorry, but I think we need to look at the reality: the railway is a modern business in the BUSINESS of attracting custom, competing with modern brands.

But does the Intercity livery look any worse, or less modern than some of the liverys currently floating around? Will an Intercity livery mean less passengers? I doubt it.
As for the brand and logo. Is much better than a lot of other logos, and more modern than a lot of other logos. Definitely wouldnt make any difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Well said that person, to see a yellow and blue HST with Inter-City 125 emblazoned on it today would cause extreme confusion, or, panic, you'd think you were asleep and still living in the 80's.
Maybe you't think you'd gone back in time if they brought back blue & yellow IC125s, but I think an ammended INTERCITY Swallow livery would work nicely, see here. The ammendments were partly so it could be done just by changing the stickers on East Coast's new livery and party so that it didn't flout the regulations that state the doors must stand out.

B.R. was a state owned company, it belongs in history
I'm much rather it didn't. Privatisation means alot of the government subisdy towards the railway disappears as profits for the multitude of companies involved, and as wages for the extra delay attribution staff which are necessary because of the number of different companies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Yes, today's sophisticated traveller couldn't possibly cope with a unified brand with understandable cross the board restrictions and pricing structures, much less an attractive livery with clear lines that works on all trains regardless of type.

Wath Yard

Like it or not, this is not 1989, and the halcyon days are long gone, and so are those brands, they were designed of an age, and belong to an age. I am sorry, but I think we need to look at the reality: the railway is a modern business in the BUSINESS of attracting custom, competing with modern brands.

That is the unfortunate mentality of most of the modern TOCs. If they come up with a stupid name and a colourful livery then job done, and if they can break from the past then even better. BR had some superb brand names which aided marketing campaigns. InterCity was universally known, and nobody could argue that First Capital Connect is a better brand than Thameslink or C2C or Essex Thameside are better than LTS.

Although as far as InterCity is concerned I agree it shouldn't be brought back. It signified fast, comfortable, convenient train travel, not exactly how you would describe several hours on a Voyager without a buffet where you may or may not see a trolley.

Just for the record 'British Rail' still exists, I recently took a photo of the new sign for Eaglecliffe car park which still states British Rail.

sprinterguy

Established Member

It is regularly announced on board trains approaching interchange stations that passengers should "change here for Intercity and regional rail services": I fail to see what would be wrong with branding the trains with these labels as well rather than with a myriad of ever-changing brand names. "Intercity and regional rail services" tells passengers more about the sort of services being offered than would saying "change here for Virgin and London Midland services" at Birmingham or "East Coast and Northern services" at York, especially when the temporary and impermanent nature of franchises and their holders makes a mockery of any notion of brand permanence or customer loyalty.

In an industry where there is very little real competition between different TOCs I don't think that the majority of passengers really care, or in some cases are even aware of, whether there train is operated by a bus company, the Germans, or the people who provide their internet. While the "Virgin" brand name is widely recognised by the general public I don't think that having brand names splashed across the trains makes the damndest bit of difference to the number of passengers they carry.

It's clear to see that Intercity did periodically update their image to change with the times: Starting with Intercity executive (Itself taken from what was supposed to have been "the train of the future" at the time, the APT) replacing the corporate blue and grey, and then moving onto Intercity swallow that was given a striking treatment on the 225s, and that would have been adjusted again to suit the Intercity 250 if it had been built. So you can bet your bottom dollar that if Intercity had survived through to the present day then they would have continued to adapt their livery to suit modern times. And I don't see why an adapted version of Intercity livery would be out of place in "the modern world."

And the BR sector liveries generally respected the architecture of the trains they were applied to, which is a lot more than can be said about the squiggles and disorganised blotches of colour that presently pass for liveries. How can you possibly say that things like the new, basically plain white, Greater Anglia or older "One" livery were more striking and bold than Intercity swallow?

LE Greys

Established Member
Maybe you't think you'd gone back in time if they brought back blue & yellow IC125s, but I think an ammended INTERCITY Swallow livery would work nicely, see here. The ammendments were partly so it could be done just by changing the stickers on East Coast's new livery and party so that it didn't flout the regulations that state the doors must stand out.

I've seen some nice versions of it photoshopped onto modern stock, under both Alternative Railways and Fictitious Liveries. Works very well. Incidentally, what is the point of making the doors stand out? I've tested it and it doesn't actually work, for several reasons. Firstly, it has to apply when the doors are open, so on some sliding-door stock they disappear - meaning that BR's solution of painting the vestibules bright colours works. Secondly, the train doesn't actually arrive until it's too late to do anything about it. Thirdly, it doesn't work at night, the lighting is too flat. At a terminus in broad daylight with all the doors closed, it does.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is regularly announced on board trains approaching interchange stations that passengers should "change here for Intercity and regional rail services": I fail to see what would be wrong with branding the trains with these labels as well rather than with a myriad of ever-changing brand names. "Intercity and regional rail services" tells passengers more about the sort of services being offered than would saying "change here for Virgin and London Midland services" at Birmingham or "East Coast and Northern services" at York, especially when the temporary and impermanent nature of franchises and their holders makes a mockery of any notion of brand permanence or customer loyalty.

In an industry where there is very little real competition between different TOCs I don't think that the majority of passengers really care, or in some cases are even aware of, whether there train is operated by a bus company, the Germans, or the people who provide their internet. While the "Virgin" brand name is widely recognised by the general public I don't think that having brand names splashed across the trains makes the damndest bit of difference to the number of passengers they carry.

It's clear to see that Intercity did periodically update their image to change with the times: Starting with Intercity executive (Itself taken from what was supposed to have been "the train of the future" at the time, the APT) replacing the corporate blue and grey, and then moving onto Intercity swallow that was given a striking treatment on the 225s, and that would have been adjusted again to suit the Intercity 250 if it had been built. So you can bet your bottom dollar that if Intercity had survived through to the present day then they would have continued to adapt their livery to suit modern times. And I don't see why an adapted version of Intercity livery would be out of place in "the modern world."

And the BR sector liveries generally respected the architecture of the trains they were applied to, which is a lot more than can be said about the squiggles and disorganised blotches of colour that presently pass for liveries. How can you possibly say that things like the new, basically plain white, Greater Anglia or older "One" livery were more striking and bold than Intercity swallow?

Quite.

HYPODERMIC

Well said that person, to see a yellow and blue HST with Inter-City 125 emblazoned on it today would cause extreme confusion, or, panic, you'd think you were asleep and still living in the 80's.

B.R. was a state owned company, it belongs in history, not, in the Capitalist present.
Don't be so shy, tell us how you really feel about InterCity livery. ;)

I think it's folly to suggest that chop-and-change fuzzy and colourful revolving-door of franchise rebranding is superior.

Does anyone really think the London Underground would be better served by having different liveries and brands for each line? Maybe that lovely shade of bright turquoise/green emblazoned on "Arriva Tube Circle" or glowing purple-and-white for "Abellio-Serco Northern Line" perhaps? New logos every five years.

Surely, even the staunchest advocates of the current semi-privatised system can see the advantage in adopting a London buses style uniform livery, with an "operated by ..." badge for corporate identification?

The InterCity brand was one of the very few truly unquestionable successes of British Rail; without getting into another "BR vs NR" debate, I'll simply add that it is disappointing that such a well-known brand was lost.

Gareth

Established Member
Don't be so shy, tell us how you really feel about InterCity livery. ;)

I think it's folly to suggest that chop-and-change fuzzy and colourful revolving-door of franchise rebranding is superior.

Does anyone really think the London Underground would be better served by having different liveries and brands for each line? Maybe that lovely shade of bright turquoise/green emblazoned on "Arriva Tube Circle" or glowing purple-and-white for "Abellio-Serco Northern Line" perhaps? New logos every five years.

Surely, even the staunchest advocates of the current semi-privatised system can see the advantage in adopting a London buses style uniform livery, with an "operated by ..." badge for corporate identification?

The InterCity brand was one of the very few truly unquestionable successes of British Rail; without getting into another "BR vs NR" debate, I'll simply add that it is disappointing that such a well-known brand was lost.

I think each franchise should have its own brand but that the brand is a neutral/descriptive/geographic name that doesn't change when the franchise owner changes. Bascially, Scotrail is an example of this. I think Merseyrail may now also be another example. So, even if Serco-Abelio lose the franchise to someone else, the brand & livery should stay the same. The only time there may be name changes would be if the size & shape of the franchise themselves were to change though mergers or partitions.

As for the London Underground, didn't the previous government propose exactly what your saying; have a different company run each line? Thank god that never happened. It would've been a disaster.

I'm still smarting about the buses after all these years too!

lincolnshire

B.R. was a state owned company, it belongs in history, not, in the Capitalist present.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Would love someone to work it out how much B.R. would have recieve for the running the railways and subsidiseing the trains in the next tax year as against what Network Rail is going to get and all the train operating companies will be recieving for next taxl year to run the railway?

Sorry did I remember all the payments that the TOC,s will be making to the goverment for running the trains at a profit .

How much debt does Network Rai hold on its balance sheet as against it been put down to the goverment, sorry we are not allowed to ask under the fredom of information act as its a private company!

Hope the govermnet can get all the wheelbarrows it needs to keep money been shifted across to keep it from going bust.

Long live British Rail who ran the railways much more efficent than this lot, the trains might have not all been pretty colours but for the money they recieved it was more efficently run .

Electrostar

Interesting to see Electra is on the list. So much material prior to the launch of the class 91 used this name including a model carrying the Electra branding but when the real thing rolled off the production line it carried the IC swallow instead.

Also interesting to see such names as Capital Coast Express included when lots of the former Network South East route brands such as the Harlequin Line, Kent Coast and South London Lines aren't.

Phil6219

I think each franchise should have its own brand but that the brand is a neutral/descriptive/geographic name that doesn't change when the franchise owner changes. Bascially, Scotrail is an example of this. I think Merseyrail may now also be another example. So, even if Serco-Abelio lose the franchise to someone else, the brand & livery should stay the same. The only time there may be name changes would be if the size & shape of the franchise themselves were to change though mergers or partitions.

Exactly. Intercity should be used as a brand for the WCML, ECML, GWML, MML and GEML express services and the regional railways livery should be brought back for regional services. This serves two purposes, one it allows people to identify what type of service they would board and two it means that come the end of the franchise a huge chunk of it is not wasted changing liveries.

Look at the Scotrail livery now, when first finally loose it and it goes to someone else the livery and corporate identity remain the same barring small "operated by First Group" stickers. No faffing about changing liveries and the identity stays the same and means there should be no confusion amongst the more easily baffelled traveller.

Phil 8-)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Exactly. Intercity should be used as a brand for the WCML, ECML, GWML, MML and GEML express services and the regional railways livery should be brought back for regional services.
Agreed, provided the 158s have Wales & West's addition of Alphaline branding (like this). However that livery wouldn't work with contrasting doors, so if we must have contrasting doors put 158s in the silver livery with blue doors and large Alphaline logos instead. Also, if you want to distinguish the regions you could replace the dark grey on the Intercity livery with dark green for GWML (like the Intercity-inspired Great Western Trains livery), and perhaps dark blue for GEML and dark red for WCML.

There are still Network South East signs around from place to place
There are traces of long-gone TOCs still around too. An example I rather like is the Wales & West logo as the screensaver for Aberystwyth's information displays.

CP165

Exactly. Intercity should be used as a brand for the WCML, ECML, GWML, MML and GEML express services and the regional railways livery should be brought back for regional services. This serves two purposes, one it allows people to identify what type of service they would board and two it means that come the end of the franchise a huge chunk of it is not wasted changing liveries.

Look at the Scotrail livery now, when first finally loose it and it goes to someone else the livery and corporate identity remain the same barring small "operated by First Group" stickers. No faffing about changing liveries and the identity stays the same and means there should be no confusion amongst the more easily baffelled traveller.

Phil 8-)

That's sorta what I think should happen with East Coast. The livery and branding should stay the same. If say First win the franchise and want to re-brand everything, they should only be allowed to put a couple of small stickers on the doors.

LE Greys

Established Member

Phil 8-)

A similar thing with station signage. BR signs had the great advantage of being large and in easy-to-read lettering, although some pre-nationalisation ones were huge, which was even better. Some TOCs had enough sense to either leave them and add a sticker or replace them like-for-like (Virgin doing the former, GNER doing the latter). Others (Southern being the worse) shrank them and put them in a difficult typeface. Why not stick to the old signs and just add stickers - or a strip at the next repaint?

nferguso

The SSfT will licence the use of various trademarks in suitable cases.

Presumably a fee will be charged.

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway for instance have recently "borrowed" the Pullman brand and trade mark

We haven't actually borrowed the brand but obtained permission from BRB Residuary to use it. We're completely kosher here in Wirksworth!

Neil, EVR

BestWestern

Established Member

All that needs to be said really. It is, after all, one railway system, however many private fat cats we have playing trains on it. The current set up is utterly confusing and benefits nobody. It isn't just liveries (see current thread about the passenger prosecuted by FCC for boarding their train with a more expensive ticket only valid on a different train, going the same way but run by a different company....sigh :roll:), but a common identity would be a bloody good place to start putting things right.

- Four big regional frachises covering southern, northen, eastern and western/wales areas. One common identity, using a common national name such as 'UKRail' or similar (probably best to let 'BR' lie). One standard livery, perhaps with colour variations for each regional TOC, with a small "Operated by xxx" embellishment permitted, along with a 'Southern/Northern/Western & Wales/Eastern" suffix to the national brand name.
- One long distance operator called, horror of horrors, Intercity. This has bags of potential to again become the iconic brand that it once was, in the same way that the US has Amtrack for example. One operator to take care of all IC operations.
- Scotrail of course would remain, being as it is the only sensible example we have of how it should be done.

Common publicity material, a common fares strategy (allowing someone who has a ticket to board a train without having to first decipher which company is operating it this week); essentially, one railway network. Easy.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
All that needs to be said really. It is, after all, one railway system, however many private fat cats we have playing trains on it. The current set up is utterly confusing and benefits nobody. It isn't just liveries (see current thread about the passenger prosecuted by FCC for boarding their train with a more expensive ticket only valid on a different train, going the same way but run by a different company....sigh :roll:), but a common identity would be a bloody good place to start putting things right.

- Four big regional frachises covering southern, northen, eastern and western/wales areas. One common identity, using a common national name such as 'UKRail' or similar (probably best to let 'BR' lie). One standard livery, perhaps with colour variations for each regional TOC, with a small "Operated by xxx" embellishment permitted, along with a 'Southern/Northern/Western & Wales/Eastern" suffix to the national brand name.
- One long distance operator called, horror of horrors, Intercity. This has bags of potential to again become the iconic brand that it once was, in the same way that the US has Amtrack for example. One operator to take care of all IC operations.
- Scotrail of course would remain, being as it is the only sensible example we have of how it should be done.

Common publicity material, a common fares strategy (allowing someone who has a ticket to board a train without having to first decipher which company is operating it this week); essentially, one railway network. Easy.
I think if you had the North-South-East-West-Scotrail divisions it would probably be more sensible to have each running INTERCITY services, rather than having IC as a six 'region'. Seeing as you mention a standardised livery though, with regional variations, you could use, say RegionalRailways livery with the blue replaced with:
  • GWR loco green (or GWR chocolate) for Western
  • Dark grey for Eastern
  • Red for Western
  • Something else for Southern and Northen
Scotrail would stay blue, perhaps even keeping the standardised livery they are currently rolling out. The INTERCITY stock of each operator would then carry the iconic Swallow livery, but with the dark upper bodyside section changing colour (think Great Western Trains livery, but with the Swallow and INTERCITY logos replacing the GWT bird logo and the 'Great Western' scribble replaced with GREAT WESTERN in the IC Swallow font) (the Eastern region would have Swallow exactly as it was, due to the region's dark grey equaling the standard Swallow colour)

34D

Established Member
Is there a reason you are suggesting dark grey for the eastern region?

For other reasons, you have basically suggested the colours used by the big 4 and the B.R. regions after. Eastern was blue (and north Eastern burnt orange).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Is there a reason you are suggesting dark grey for the eastern region?

For other reasons, you have basically suggested the colours used by the big 4 and the B.R. regions after. Eastern was blue (and north Eastern burnt orange).
I suggested dark green for Western because I liked the GWT livery (except the scribble font on the coaches) and because I think it'd suit Wales and much of the current GW franchise area. I included the alternative of chocolate because it is the tradditional western region colour (along with cream of course) on coaching stock.

The suggestion of Red for Western was because the WCML has red in the livery already with Virgin (and the new Pendolinios, despite lacking the Virgin logo (at least initally, no idea if they have them now), still have the red on them).

Grey was just because I'd like one of the regions to have the real Swallow livery, almost exactly as it was, and the ECML (and London - Norwich, also in the east) have most of the stock (90s, 91s, mark4s, DVTs and IC125s) that Swallow has been put on before.

BestWestern

Established Member
My suggestion about the Intercity operations was more based on having one specific identity, I would concede that the running of trains might be better split between regional TOCs, however I would stick with one uniform livery in order to maximise the brand effect.

As for regional liveries, I would think that a white/off white/grey would be the essential base colour, with a fairly simple livery comprising one other colour, varying each time, with perhaps some simple 'styling' to add interest. As an example, I rather like the current Southern livery as applied to the Electrostar fleet, so maybe something along those lines with the two tone green application also being adapted to blue/red/yellow etc?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Ideally for the customer, all Intercity trains could have one livery - or even be operated by one franchise.

But, some Intercity operations are part of a larger franchise presumably as it's the profitable element that subsidises the less profitable bits.

34Short

From my point of view, it wouldn't just going back to the halcyon days with the Intercity Swallow livery - There would be brand contradictions in today's times.

How much private stock is in the INTERCITY livery?

It'd be like Virgin going back to it's red and black days - but with people indadvertedly boarding a Riviera charter service...

jon0844

Veteran Member
You could have a common theme, with different colours for different routes (e.g. different shades). Modern trains have boards to detail the train service (time/ID, destination, stopping pattern) so nobody should be boarding the wrong train on account of the livery - which wouldn't be as important to recognise as now (i.e. FCC or GRT ANG).

Anyway, this is all part of my vision of a national railway that is still privately run, but managed by one body - like TfL.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Like keeping the BR Logo, I'm surprised Intercity wasn't 'saved' even if a private operator could still put its own logo/name on the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.