• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Now that you mention it, the only reason that this is done on third-rail only Electrostar units is so that their suspension setup is roughly equivalent to a dual-voltage unit.

So I understand, but Siemens must historically (at least) have adopted a different approach to suspension compensation. Which wouldn't be surprising, I'm sure there must be different solutions available.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Correct. The DV 350/1 ran as a 12 cars from WCML to Basingstoke to prove the concept.

And then, some time later, some 350s (/1s ?) were loaned to Southern to operate the Milton Keynes (or thereabouts) to Brighton (or Croydon ?) service. This was while the dual voltage units (377/2s or was it 319s) that were meant for the service covered for other services (on Thameslink iirc). Sorry some real holes in my memory on this but someone will fill-in/correct the blanks.

Nym

Established Member
Now that you mention it, the only reason that this is done on third-rail only Electrostar units is so that their suspension setup is roughly equivalent to a dual-voltage unit.

In other words, BT couldn't be bothered doing two structural assessments?

D365

Veteran Member

Eh? If the suspension was configured differently on a third-rail only Class 377, for example, wouldn't that mean more work would be required in order to convert it to a dual-voltage unit?

Class377/5

Established Member
And then, some time later, some 350s (/1s ?) were loaned to Southern to operate the Milton Keynes (or thereabouts) to Brighton (or Croydon ?) service. This was while the dual voltage units (377/2s or was it 319s) that were meant for the service covered for other services (on Thameslink iirc). Sorry some real holes in my memory on this but someone will fill-in/correct the blanks.

5x 350/1 were loaned to Southern while the newly arrived 350/2 arrived.

This allowed a bunch (I can't remember numbers) of 377/2 to be loaned to FCC to run the KO0 timetable (where some FCC and SE services were linked and ran jointly).

In return for this cascade 3x 375 transferred to Southern from SE to run a singe peak diagram.

No 319s were loaned, all transferred to FCC for the March 2009 timetable change.

Class377/5

Established Member

No Bombardier made sure that two different set up had the same performance so drivers didn't have to adjust for different sub types when braking which is never clever.

Fincra5

Established Member
No Bombardier made sure that two different set up had the same performance so drivers didn't have to adjust for different sub types when braking which is never clever.

Which is actually quite sensible to be fair.

D365

Veteran Member
Obviously in the case of SWT it doesn't matter in as their third-rail only Class 450 fleet is completely separate from the Class 350s.

leomartin125

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
They certainly sound great when they depart, very much the Desiro motor noise.

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the bidders for the new franchise hasn't put an idea to order 60+ additional 707s to replace the 455/456s

Suraggu

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the bidders for the new franchise hasn't put an idea to order 60+ additional 707s to replace the 455/456s

As part of their franchise bid tenders went out for brand new rolling stock including stock for Suburban workings.

Mind you they also put out a tender for self powered units with the ability for 3rd rail...

Class377/5

Established Member

Who says they haven't had a word with Siemens. Next year the five line production for Desiro Cities is not going to have any work with the ability to make 10 coaches a week.

More likely to be Stagecoach that have done so isn't it?

Yet First has actually signed an order for far more Desiro coaches (1140) than Stagecoach (883 coaches).

Monty

Established Member

You would need to nearly double that number to replace the 455/456 fleet completely.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You would need to nearly double that number to replace the 455/456 fleet completely.

Not sure... SWT has 59 of the 455s doesn't it? So 60 more 707s would exactly replace them on a like for like basis with no need to account for the 456s since the 707s are 5 car?

jayiscupid

As part of their franchise bid tenders went out for brand new rolling stock including stock for Suburban workings.

Mind you they also put out a tender for self powered units with the ability for 3rd rail...

Do we know when the winner will be announced? I've seen Feb 2017 but I'm not sure if that was before the short extension.

AlexNL

Established Member
To be honest, what would be the benefit of removing it at all, aside from consistency?

What's not there doesn't have to be maintained, and can't cause any faults either.

aleggatta

What's not there doesn't have to be maintained, and can't cause any faults either.

Also, assuming that all Desiro City trains have the same traction packages, it can simply be put in with the number of service spare parts for other desiro city trains that do have the AC kit

Class 170101

Established Member
A pair of 707s on test have just passed Bracknell en route to Reading

If 10 car EMUs are running on test does this mean the power supply upgrade has been completed?

A reason for running 10 cars is that should there be a failure it is unlikely that both units will fail and the ok unit will assist the demic back to the depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.