• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1452 Barrow to Carlisle filled up with workers at Sellafield when I was on it.

Tringonometry

1452 Barrow to Carlisle filled up with workers at Sellafield when I was on it.

Pretty much the only one that does, I think. The rest are firmly 'off peak', with the possible exception of the 0550 off Barrow, but I never see that so can't say for sure.

Iskra

Established Member
Pretty much the only one that does, I think. The rest are firmly 'off peak', with the possible exception of the 0550 off Barrow, but I never see that so can't say for sure.

Every 37 set on the coast I've been on has been well loaded. Admittedly, only 4/5 journeys, but at least two have ended up full and standing at times.

Losing the 37's will take half a coach of bashers off the loading at least.

Equally, I have been on a pretty much empty 153 round the coast too during the middle of the day...

Tringonometry

Every 37 set on the coast I've been on has been well loaded. Admittedly, only 4/5 journeys, but at least two have ended up full and standing at times.

Don't forget we changed the timetable in May 2018, and this means the LHCS are on quieter trains, generally.

Also, I'm really only talking Mon-Fri. Saturdays are a different beast.

38Cto15E

Season's Greetings BM's, I am thinking of coming to the Cumbrian Coast on the 14th/15th January to have a bash with the Class 37's. I was planning to catch the 0918 BIF-CAR and back on the Tuesday which I understood was 37 haulage.
Are the loco allocations flexible at the moment due to availability, I wouldn't be too upset if a 37 was not available and I had a 68, but I wouldn't be over keen doing the journey by DMU.
TIA

38Cto15E

Before I book my rail tickets from Leicester and any accommodation I will double check here, if DMU haulage is the order of the day on the Cumbrian then it is off to The Wherry lines to sample their 37 delights again.
Any traction updates for the Cumbrian Coast please advise on the forum or confidentially by PM. TIA

_toommm_

Established Member
37401 currently stuck at Foxfield on 2C52 - unknown as to what the problem is at the moment.

On the upside, it makes for some good photos, and theres definitely worse places to be stuck in the world :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
37401 currently stuck at Foxfield on 2C52 - unknown as to what the problem is at the moment.

On the upside, it makes for some good photos, and theres definitely worse places to be stuck in the world :)
And there is of course a very handy pub adjacent if the problem continues - just a shame that it's not possible to know how long it'll take to identify/fix! About twenty minutes would be convenient... :lol:

_toommm_

Established Member
And there is of course a very handy pub adjacent if the problem continues - just a shame that it's not possible to know how long it'll take to identify/fix! About twenty minutes would be convenient... :lol:

I've had to downsize the quality as my photos are normally 10-15MB each, but here's the culprit...

20181220_144044.jpg

sprinterguy

Established Member
Very thoughtful of Northern to plan a photographic and refreshment stop into the journey. ;)

I remember wandering back across to the station from the pub with a couple of mates to catch one of the Barrow bound 37 workings one warm summers evening a while back, when the signalman leaned out of the window of his 'box and shouted down to us as we approached "'E's running about twenty minutes late lads, get theselves back across the road for another!". :D It's nice when the railway demonstrates that personal touch - the whole occurrence had a proper country branch line feel to it. :smile:

_toommm_

Established Member
And we've now been declared a failure. They're trying to get a rescue loco, so I suspect another 37 may come from Barrow.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah, I did notice that he still didn't appear to have moved, and was wondering whether they were going to call it a day for this set in passenger service. As if they don't get it shifted one way or another soon then the 15:24 departure for Barrow is going to be right behind him.

_toommm_

Established Member
Ah, I did notice that he still didn't appear to have moved, and was wondering whether they were going to call it a day for this set in passenger service. As if they don't get it shifted one way or another soon then the 15:24 departure for Barrow is going to be right behind him.

I dont think the line is BiDi either so unless they put in some special working to allow the Sprinter to use the opposite platform at Foxfield...

_toommm_

Established Member
Seems to be a problem with the way the DBSO is talking to the 37. The 37 starts up fine from the rear, but as soon as the driver keys in to the DBSO at the front, the 37 stops.

If the 37 could run around and if it could physically couple to the front of the DBSO (if this is physically and electronically possible) then I suspect we could be on our way, but the signaller has said he won't implement BiDi on this section so the 15:25 from Foxfield to Lancaster is stuck behind us aswell

sprinterguy

Established Member
I dont think the line is BiDi either so unless they put in some special working to allow the Sprinter to use the opposite platform at Foxfield...
I'm not terribly familiar with the signalling arrangements on the Cumbrian Coast (Still absolute block with semaphore signals, isn't it?), but I didn't think so either. The Sprinter on 13:07 Carlisle - Lancaster has made it as far as Millom and stuck there; given that that's the last 'box before Foxfield, I presume that's as far as he can proceed until the errant 37 set gets shifted...

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm not terribly familiar with the signalling arrangements on the Cumbrian Coast (Still absolute block with semaphore signals, isn't it?), but I didn't think so either. The Sprinter on 13:07 Carlisle - Lancaster has made it as far as Millom and stuck there; given that that's the last 'box before Foxfield, I presume that's as far as he can proceed until the errant 37 set gets shifted...

Absolute block for pretty much all of it until you near Lancaster. The light is fading quite fast so I suspect any more attempts at fiddling with the cables wont result in much.

_toommm_

Established Member
And as of 16:40 theres still 4 of us on the train including myself. Most of the enthusiasts went north on 37425, but we're still waiting for taxis.

Let's hope I can get a refund on my ticket - I've got a rover so it often takes a lot of explaining

Tringonometry

And as of 16:40 theres still 4 of us on the train including myself. Most of the enthusiasts went north on 37425, but we're still waiting for taxis.

Let's hope I can get a refund on my ticket - I've got a rover so it often takes a lot of explaining

I'm waiting for 425 here at Workington but it looks like it's not coming past Sellafield.

Scratch that ... It's reappeared at Whitehaven!

On Moderation
1Z99 has gone past Carnforth ex-Kingmoor to rescue/retrieve the failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.