• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

Crossover reports (but isn't able to post) that the 'View First Unread' button does not appear on mobile.

On my mobile, tapping the thread title takes you straight to the first unread post.
I'd prefer that to happen on the non-mobile version too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Just logged in on my phone (using Chrome on a Galaxy Note 8) and can confirm that button doesnt seem to be showing for me either.

On a positive note though the font sizes are perfect on here, oddly enough for the first ever time it's currently easier to browse the forum on my phone than my iPad :lol: I also like how items such as the Edit Post button are tucked away in a little menu rather than cluttering it up.

This

And I am logged in :)
Having fun and games on iPad at the moment but that may be flaky WiFi (or iOS11...)

Starmill

Veteran Member
On my mobile, tapping the thread title takes you straight to the first unread post.
I'd prefer that to happen on the non-mobile version too.
Yes I was just going to say that too. It's a bit too easy to end up on the first page of a very long thread.

BlueFox

Yes I was just going to say that too. It's a bit too easy to end up on the first page of a very long thread.

It's a fairly easy template edit to make it happen, but I appreciate the admins have a long list of things to do before they look at stuff like that.

BlueFox

I don't get the last poster name on mobile.

The view adapts to the screen size, so under a certain size it will change the format, to make it easier to read. If you rotate your phone 90 degrees it might show you the full version.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If I click a title on the home screen (the small title, next to the word 'Latest:') I am sent to the final post in the thread.
If I click the title of the same thread (currently Caledonian Sleeper discussion) after opening the Forum it belongs to (UK Railway Discussion) I am sent to the first post in the thread.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have also noticed a new pressure to type quickly because between the significantly increased speed and the alerts function, being on a thread feels a lot more 'connected' than it ever did before when you had to go and seek out threads which you were involved in yourself! The Watch List and the alerts for both quotes and replies make everything so much more fluid.

Almost being in conversation with people is changing my experience of how the forum feels just a few hours in. More like a conversation and less like a 90s 'Message Board'.

Saving drafts is also the best thing ever!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm when I open a thread in a forum it takes me straight to the most recent post. I don't actually have an easy way of getting to the first page!

BlueFox

If I click a title on the home screen (the small title, next to the word 'Latest:') I am sent to the final post in the thread.
If I click the title of the same thread (currently Caledonian Sleeper discussion) after opening the Forum it belongs to (UK Railway Discussion) I am sent to the first post in the thread.

If you go to the sub-form page and click on the thread title, it should take you to the first unread.
If you click the thing on the home page that says "latest", it should take you to the last post.
If you click on the title from the sub-forum page, and there are no unread posts, it should take you to the first post.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you go to the sub-form page and click on the thread title, it should take you to the first unread.
If you click the thing on the home page that says "latest", it should take you to the last post.
If you click on the title from the sub-forum page, and there are no unread posts, it should take you to the first post.

I am not sure I am fully processing this, or what I'm really doing.

But taking a thread I know I've posted many times in and that is quite old, if I go to home by clicking the logo in the top left, then
Infrastructure & Stations > Blackpool - Manchester Electrification I am met with this: http://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/blackpool-manchester-electrification.66879/

Which, for me, produces post #1 from 15th Jun 2012.

PS LOVE that I can use Ctrl+B now too! And Paste with formatting!

Jimini

Established Member
No suggestions or comments from me (quite like the new setup), just a quick note of appreciation to the admins and mods for working through this significant change and your guidance in adjusting to the new format. Must have taken a significant number of man hours. Appreciated!

BlueFox

But taking a thread I know I've posted many times in and that is quite old, if I go to home by clicking the logo in the top left, then
Infrastructure & Stations > Blackpool - Manchester Electrification I am met with this: http://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/blackpool-manchester-electrification.66879/

It will do that if you have no unread posts in that thread.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

It will do if you haven't accessed it today as everything is essentially unread - post read states couldn't come over from the old forum unfortunately.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I do have unread posts in that thread, from this morning. Or I did then, at least. The title was also in Bold.

Edit: ah, if it thinks they are all unread that may well explain that! Thanks Mike

BlueFox

I do have unread posts in that thread, from this morning. Or I did then, at least. The title was also in Bold.

There are no posts in that thread from this morning. The last post was last night.

It will do if you haven't accessed it today as everything is essentially unread - post read states couldn't come over from the old forum unfortunately.

For me it was only showing things from around a month ago as unread.

BlueFox

This is way better than Digital Spy...

Is it possible to add a 'top' button to pages?

What do you mean by 'top'?

If you just want to go to the top of the current page, click on the page number below the final post. For example this is page 8, so click the 8, and you'll go to the top of this page. It's easier than scrolling to the bottom where the top button is.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Just to say thank you everyone, and I very much like it - portrait view on tablet, haven't compared other machines.
And I, too, like having the thread title on the current page - maybe it will keep us more on topic?
And replies appearing more or less instantly.

nlogax

Established Member
Wow, GREAT move! Forget vBulletin, forget phpBB.. this 'ere XenForo is the future. From having had a quick look around this evening the future is dead zippy and a treat for the eyes. Well done to all concerned.

(now.. how about a 'like post' feature? ;) )

deltic08

On Moderation
At my age , I don't take to change easily.
I have noticed that date, month and year of posting is missing. I trust this will be corrected?

fowler9

Established Member
Cool, it will take a bit of getting used to but life constantly changes so hey ho. I think I know my way around roughly speaking after a couple of minutes and I fear change. Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.