• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Genuine terminal stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Reddog785

The London terminals don't count, except London King's Cross and St. Pancras International. King's Cross St. Pancras is a tube only service. :|
The only ones that I can thinks of are:
Windsor & Eton (both Riverside and Central stations)
Slough (Platform 1)
Lymington Pier
Brockenhurst (Lymington Shuttle platform)
Swanage
Minehead?

Nick W

Established Member
I'm going to argue for the removal of London Liverpool Street, since platform 1 and 2 were once through lines, so I feel the current sub-surface lines should therefore considered part of the same building (in line with Paddington).

I'm also going to debate London Waterloo since it was both built and rebuilt with through platforms.

RPM

Established Member
Aylesbury Vale Parkway. Built as a terminus, but with a view to it becoming a through station at some time in the future.

LE Greys

Established Member
Do preserved lines count?

If so, I'm going to add
Oxenhope
Minehead
Holt (line was extended from Weybourne to the current site after being pulled up)
Kingswear
Ongar
Swanage

And out of cheek:
Snowdon Summit

Nightrider

Milngavie
Helensburgh Central
Largs
Ardrossan Harbour
Lanark
Saltburn

OK, along with everyone else's contributions, that must be Scotland and Northern England dealt with. Any more further south?

East Kilbride
Wemyss Bay
Stranraer

Sir_Clagalot

Hertford East used to have a connection to Hertford North, come on Ajax, surprised you havent already picked up on that one!!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hartlepool still has one of those maps!

There are a few still kicking around there is one at Middlesbrough another at Whitby and I think there is another one possibly at Scarborough. But they certainly are nice, I wish someone would put a modern one up!

ert47

Not sure if this was posted in the past 8 pages, but didnt London Waterloo have through platforms ages ago connecting with Waterloo East?

LE Greys

Established Member
Not sure if this was posted in the past 8 pages, but didnt London Waterloo have through platforms ages ago connecting with Waterloo East?

Certainly did, and the remains of them are now Platforms 1 and 2 (I think). Not sure if they got much use, although I think that the Channel mail trains used to pass through there for a handover to the SER.

As for genuine terminal stations, I've been scraping the barrel and come up with a few:

Leicester North (as opposed to Belgrave and Birtsall)
Lakeside (as in Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway)
Hythe (as in Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch)
Tywyn Wharf
Devil's Bridge (may have had that one before)

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Certainly did, and the remains of them are now Platforms 1 and 2 (I think)

Not 1 and 2, more like 11 and 12 - the link was directly underneath what is now the footbridge to Waterloo East; the rail bridge is still there as the "ground level" under the footbridge and can be seen from just north of the station from the trains and also from the lower level road about 50ft underneath.

This is why the central arch at Waterloo is so big - the link tracks originally ran through it!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Not 1 and 2, more like 11 and 12 - the link was directly underneath what is now the footbridge to Waterloo East; the rail bridge is still there as the "ground level" under the footbridge and can be seen from just north of the station from the trains and also from the lower level road about 50ft underneath.

This is why the central arch at Waterloo is so big - the link tracks originally ran through it!

I'm not old enough to remember the through tracks, but I am old enough to have used the ground level under the footbridge. Before the current bridge was built it used to be significantly lower and emerge on the other side of the elevated road in front of the station. Then there was a pedestrian crossing to get you to the mainline station.

NLC1072

Southminster
Kings Lynn
Stansted Airport (was going to be a through station but never made it)
Braintree
Sudbury (Suffolk)
Sheerness-on-sea
Bognor Regis
Lymmington Pier
Weymouth
Exmouth
Okehampton
Gunnislake
Looe
Newquay
Falmouth Docks
Penzance
St Ives (Conrwall)
Barnstaple
Minehead (preserved yes I know, but does have the odd charter too)
Penarth
Barry Island
Pembroke
Milford Haven
Fishguard
Aberystwyth
Pwilheli
Holyhead
LLandudno
West Kirkby
New Brighton
Heysham Port
Windermere
Stranraer
Largs
Ardrossan
Wernyes Bay
Gourock
Oban
Mallaig
Kyle of Lochalsh
Thurso
Wick
North Berwick
Saltburn
Whitby
Bishops Auckland
Ikley
Colne
Hull
Cleethorpes
Matlock
Buxton
Skegness
Corby
Henley On Thames
Fenchurch Street
Marlow
Alton
Uckfield
East Grinstead
Henley On Thames
Seaford
Littlehampton
Ryde Pier Head
Shanklin

Will not start on the countless Suburban London termini... Shepperto, Chessington South etc..

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Stansted Airport (was going to be a through station but never made it)

Will not start on the countless Suburban London termini... Shepperto, Chessington South etc..

Stansted Apt was meant to be a through line to Braintree, and the main platforms were left undisurbed at the terminal end (ie. open and unblocked) should this ever be required :D

Chessington South was meant to be extended to leatherhead, but then the War came along, as did greenbelt land, and this stopped any further progress :D

NLC1072

Stansted Apt was meant to be a through line to Braintree, and the main platforms were left undisurbed at the terminal end (ie. open and unblocked) should this ever be required :D

Chessington South was meant to be extended to leatherhead, but then the War came along, as did greenbelt land, and this stopped any further progress :D

Nice info there!... I always wondered about Chessington South

I always thought Stansted was made so that it could loop the airport and rejoin the line to Cambridge =S

Status
Not open for further replies.