• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

grid56126

SW 455s do too I think?
Not to mention 318s in Scotland and 455s on Southern having the connections removed.

The one plus with 387s on the GN is that they do at least allow emergency front / rear egress in the single bore tunnels. 365s obviousy do not, but then LNER, Hull, GC and charters don't either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred26

Three 717s will run in passenger service from Monday next week.

Monday-Friday
Moorgate-Gordon Hill
1027, 1127, 1227
2Gxx

They will stop at stations in between, but are booked to skip Old Street and Essex Road, notably. I expect these two are skipped because either there's still training issues there, or because the xx30 will be immediately behind.
Services will be advertised on CIS/PA.

BowesRanger

Monday-Friday
Moorgate-Gordon Hill
1027, 1127, 1227
2Gxx

They will stop at stations in between, but are booked to skip Old Street and Essex Road, notably. I expect these two are skipped because either there's still training issues there, or because the xx30 will be immediately behind.

Is this a contractual requirement, or part of a broader roll out plan?

Seems pretty Token, those are 3 little used services

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Monday-Friday
Moorgate-Gordon Hill
1027, 1127, 1227
2Gxx

Should they run I should hopefully be in a position to try one out.
That being a rather big "should" though!
Sam

Failed Unit

Established Member

Monday-Friday
Moorgate-Gordon Hill
1027, 1127, 1227
2Gxx

Thanks for the gen.

Just northbound at the moment? Have any gone southbound in passenger use?

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm sorry to tell you this but you're actually least 2 decades out with your information about the above as the buttons were installed in the 1970s and I see no reason for them to be removed and installed again.

Foe example as sourced from
  • Haresnape, Brian; Swain, Alec (1989). 10: Third Rail DC Electric Multiple-Units. British Rail Fleet Survey. Shepperton: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-1760-3
As built, the sliding doors were opened by the passengers. Once the driver had stopped the train and the guard had activated the master door release, a passenger could move the door handle gently sideways which operated a switch controlling the individual door opening circuit. Many people did not wait for the guard's release and gave the handle a much harder tug, which could open the door even if the train had not stopped. Concerns over passenger safety led to the handles being replaced by push-buttons from March 1977.

Not quite true. They definitely didn’t have any form of passenger open after the initial system was abandoned. Buttons were only fitted in the 1990s as part of the refurbishments carried out by WAGN (or Silverlink) which brought in the replacement seats and extra grab rails. WAGN also proudly announced that they were to get carpet too, however this never seems to have come to fruition.

The similar-vintage 507s and 508s never had passenger open, and I think same may apply to the 314s.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is this a contractual requirement, or part of a broader roll out plan?

Seems pretty Token, those are 3 little used services

They already ran some passenger services last year so I think that box was already ticked.

I am sure everyone wants them in service. Drivers keen to take them, platform staff waiting to dispatch them (for now, eventually they'll self dispatch) and shut them down etc.

It's not just passengers that want them in service!

You have to start somewhere and this sounds like a good way to do it.

Meanwhile, there has been at least one recently delivered 717 out doing mileage as operated by GB Railfreight from London to Peterborough earlier this week.

Fred26

I was slightly incorrect with those times -

Monday
1137, 1337

Tuesday-Friday
1037, 1137, 1337

These are additional services which don't exist at the moment, but unlike before they will actually be used as they stop between Moorgate and Gordon Hill rather than run fast.

507 001

Established Member
Interesting but looked at some photos, learn something new everyday. But like the any early 313 pictures no door buttons. The 315s must be the first to get the fix.

The similar-vintage 507s and 508s never had passenger open, and I think same may apply to the 314s.

The 508s were the first PEPs with door buttons. These were plated over on transfer to Merseyside, and later removed entirely during the early 2000s heavy refurbishment.
The units that were transferred so Connex/Silverlink both had them re-instated IIRC.

You can clearly see the plates covering the buttons in this picture (not mine!) https://flic.kr/p/9eP69Y

Class315

717006 providing the honours this morning working 2G72 11:37 Moorgate - Gordon Hill.

aswilliamsuk

717006 heading into Finsbury Park on 5J73, running over five minutes early. This is from the Oxford Road footbridge by the park.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_130957.jpg
    IMG_20190121_130957.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 141

choochoochoo

Established Member
Looks like I was wrong about FASDO needing balise.

I'm pretty sure I saw 717006 FASDO at Gordon Hill this morning.

Aictos

Established Member
Any plans ahead for them?

Razor blades more likely, they could sell stuff from them though like London Underground did with the A Stock, I'm sure the fabric could be used to make some cushions...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Razor blades more likely, they could sell stuff from them though like London Underground did with the A Stock, I'm sure the fabric could be used to make some cushions...

As long as they get a nice deep clean first. Can you imagine what you'd see under a microscope?

Ladder23

Established Member
As long as they get a nice deep clean first. Can you imagine what you'd see under a microscope?

I dread to think, was the pieces sold by the London museum not replicated material, not original

petersi

When will they be cleared to stop at Stations between Moorgate and Drayton Park?
Also have they been cleared between Alexandra Palace and Welwyn Garden city

Aictos

Established Member

I shudder to think but there are sellers on Ebay who have actually made some nice looking cushions from various seat covers from Stagecoach Buses to First Capital Connect all which retail for about £35 to £40 each.

Aictos

Established Member
Could be either 717 or 700 but please note that it continues on to Three Bridges

I would wager it's a Class 700 as it actually works Cricklewood Depot to West Worthing shed but strangely I can't see any workings from West Worthing Shed.

As it works:

5Z90 23:02 Cricklewood Depot to East Croydon
5Z91 00:07 East Croydon to Three Bridges
5Z92 00:44 Three Bridges to West Worthing Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.