• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
Just shows you what can be achieved if some effort is put into a livery that's going to stick around. Nice edit.
Thanks! :)

Really wish more companies would put effort into making their trains look professional, just as I have done in the image.

notverydeep

Wow. I didn’t realise we had a forum meet on the 1721 Kings cross - Cambridge service tonight. Sorry guys I would have joined you standing if I had known. ;).

You (all) had a lucky escape. 2C44 1721 Kings cross - Cambridge departed Potters Bar 1743½, 1D24 1733 King's Cross - Harrogate passes 1745 and comes to a stand just north with a person under the train. The second at Potters Bar this year. Grim for all concerned.

Inevitably during the recovery there is a candidate for the pointless skip stopping of the day award: 2C52 1923 King's Cross - Cambridge passes Welwyn North at speed, 2 minutes late against its booked stopping time...

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
For some reason, I decided to make an edit of a Class 717 into the red DB Regio livery, it's over on the 'slight' changes you would make to liveries thread, but I thought I would share it too, because it is a Class 717.
Wow. Very nice.

aswilliamsuk

Is the PIS working correctly yet? I have only seen blank/incorrect screens and announcements saying it was stopping at stations I wasn't.
It was broadly correct yesterday on the 1037 out of MOG. The only error in the stopping places was the addition of Hornsey, otherwise it looked like the usual Class 700 displays. The driver made announcements at Finsbury Park saying "this is a Class 717 preview service to Gordon Hill" and went through the stops as usual too.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yes this is very true.

But people would rather stand on the class 700s then have a seat, so does that mean we should take all the seats out? The fact it happens doesn't mean that the middle seats are not used at all. I challenge anyone to find a middle seat unoccupied in the peaks.

Personally if I was going say from Finsbury Park - Highbury and Islington my first choice would be to stand by the doors. If I was going from Finsbury Park to Welham Green, I would fight my way down the coach to a middle seat. Short journeys many prefer to stand by the doors, on any rolling stock or seating configuration. I even do it on the tube letting someone else take the seat who may need it more than me or be travelling further.

Any more diagrams starting tomorrow?
GN website https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/717trains now says

"Operational testing has continued over the New Year period. You can expect to see more test trains in passenger service daily from Monday 21 January (Monday-Friday). Building up to the first train being introduced by early February.

From Monday 28 January the following preview services will appear on customer information screens:

• 10:37 Moorgate calling at Highbury & Islington, Drayton Park, Finsbury Park, Alexandra Palace, Bowes Park, Palmers Green, Winchmore Hill, Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill
  • 14:37 Moorgate calling at Highbury & Islington, Drayton Park, Finsbury Park, Alexandra Palace, Bowes Park, Palmers Green, Winchmore Hill, Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill"
Still not stopping at Old Street or Essex Road.

(Edited 28 Jan to correct the pm timing, as this has been amended on the website)

Last edited:

sprunt

Are there technical reasons why they aren't stopping at all non-NCL stations, or are they just choosing to run them as express services for whatever reason? (I'm not complaining, just asking.)

It'll be something like signal sighting issues, whilst at stand at those stations, yet to be resolved; they wouldn't run them express if they had the choice.

Class315

Ferme Park is looking rather bare of 717's at the minute. - 001 & 017 went back to Dollands Moor on 24/01. Leaving if i recall correctly 014 & 016 remain in those sidings.

I've heard we're looking at mid/late February for a gradual introduction, as drafts diagrams are currently being compiled; Which gives enough time for rectification works to be resolved.

lewisf

Ferme Park is looking rather bare of 717's at the minute. - 001 & 017 went back to Dollands Moor on 24/01. Leaving if i recall correctly 014 & 016 remain in those sidings.

I've heard we're looking at mid/late February for a gradual introduction, as drafts diagrams are currently being compiled; Which gives enough time for rectification works to be resolved.

I saw lots of 717s at Cricklewood depot a few days ago - but whether they're available for use in passenger service I don't know.

Class315

I saw lots of 717s at Cricklewood depot a few days ago - but whether they're available for use in passenger service I don't know.

They're in warm storage, 004, 009 are amongst some of the units at Cricklewood and have been in situ prior to the festive period.

387star

On Moderation
Hearing of an imminent movement to west worthing sidings for some of the stored units

Fincra5

Established Member
Hearing of an imminent movement to west worthing sidings for some of the stored units

Explains why I've started to see, whilst sat in West Worthing Middle Siding, security guards doing patrols of the sidings...

Class315

Is that all 700’s and 717’s delivered?

Yes, I watched 66756 & barrier wagons detach from 013 & 025 earlier on this afternoon at Ferme Park. All GTR Desiro City' have been delivered, although as you may read in this thread a number of 717's have been sent to various locations for warm storage.

APUK002

Yes, I watched 66756 & barrier wagons detach from 013 & 025 earlier on this afternoon at Ferme Park. All GTR Desiro City' have been delivered, although as you may read in this thread a number of 717's have been sent to various locations for warm storage.
Kool,ok then

Status
Not open for further replies.