• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paule23

Just flown up the leader board after updating for 3x Glasgow to Euston sleeper services and a couple of Euston/Glasgow journeys. Cardiff next week should help too!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Three lots of Glasgow to Euston on the sleeper?No thanks,,that would be nasty!

Not been on a bash at all lately,still I am planning to do one in just over a week so it's all gravy :)

gnolife

Established Member
I'm going to clean out the Anglia Plus area on Thursday and Friday, and have got an interestingly routed advance from Nottingham to Leeds to finish it up (via Newark Northgate, Newcastle, Carlisle and Settle) - When I was booking my ticket, I had forgotten to remove the 'via Carlisle' from the last booking I'd made :D

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm going to clean out the Anglia Plus area on Thursday and Friday, and have got an interestingly routed advance from Nottingham to Leeds to finish it up (via Newark Northgate, Newcastle, Carlisle and Settle) - When I was booking my ticket, I had forgotten to remove the 'via Carlisle' from the last booking I'd made :D

You got to Lowestoft yet? if Not, PM me the times you plan to be around, and I'll try my best to pop down and meet you.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No. It's a shame some people think it is okay to spoil it for everyone else.

D6975

Established Member
Still on a big fat zero....

I've just noticed that the RMM mileage thingy doesn't give the correct mileage for a Warrington BQ - Manchester Picc journey.
In the Newton-le-Willows area it routes you up the WCML, then reverses you over the North to East chord, instead of doing the chord from the south to the east.

This is the shortest route, but that's not the way the trains go of course. It took me a while to get it to give the correct mileage, trying to force the route kept giving error messages.

Been looking up some of my old records, in 1988 I did 28,776.5
1989 - 25,702
those were the days - those figures are heavy rail only too - no tube or tram.

SS4

Established Member
Got some unexpected mileage yesterday after forgetting my bus was hourly. Albeit only from BHM-ERD so not exactly breaking the record book.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
has anyone else noticed that RailMiles routes journeys from south of Stockport to Leeds (for example) via the direct Stockport-Stalybridge line rather than via Manchester Picadilly? Considering that the direct line has only one service northbound a week and none southbound, this seems odd.

gnolife

Established Member
has anyone else noticed that RailMiles routes journeys from south of Stockport to Leeds (for example) via the direct Stockport-Stalybridge line rather than via Manchester Picadilly? Considering that the direct line has only one service northbound a week and none southbound, this seems odd.

It finds the shortest route, not the shortest route with decent service. This means that in some cases, it suggests you take a non-passenger line. For example, this is what it comes up with for a journey from Wymondham to Brundall Gardens; Wymondham, Hethersett, Trowse Swing Bridge Junction, Wensum Junction, Whitlingham Junction, Brundall Gardens. However, there's no passenger services that do this journey, for this one, you'd have to go via Norwich.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It finds the shortest route, not the shortest route with decent service. This means that in some cases, it suggests you take a non-passenger line. For example, this is what it comes up with for a journey from Wymondham to Brundall Gardens; Wymondham, Hethersett, Trowse Swing Bridge Junction, Wensum Junction, Whitlingham Junction, Brundall Gardens. However, there's no passenger services that do this journey, for this one, you'd have to go via Norwich.
Yes, I think it's slightly unfair to say it doesn't give correct, the data is provided "as is" and if you want to force it to the route your train takes, then you can input "via" points.

dcd

I don't think it always does the shortest. Try Romford to Upminster which is 3m 30ch according to realtimetrains but I cannot get Mileage Engine to come up with this even putting Emerson Park on as a via.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I suspect this is either because data between Emerson Park and Upminster is missing, or because you need to enter something other than Upminster (or UPM) to get the right platform at Upminster.

Tom

The data isn't missing - because it's what drives Realtime Trains :)

Romford -> Upminster (platform 6) is the search that is required.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Just flown up the leader board after updating for 3x Glasgow to Euston sleeper services and a couple of Euston/Glasgow journeys. Cardiff next week should help too!

Jammy! Trying to get myself onto the sleeper again, mainly the lowland ones for some Class 90 haulage, only 90's left after 1K43 disappeared. If only to do it 3 or 5 times a week!

Gone up to 1,450 now having done some bits and bobs here and there. Last Sunday saw me on a 159 to Guildford from Salisbury on the weekend diversion (terminating at Guildford), was rather different doing a 159 to there! Next outing is unknown so far, probably the easter blockade stuff

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have updated the mileage charts to include data for DLR which I obtained recently. There were quite a few gaps on railmiles so hopefully this should complete the missing bits for people calculating mileages.

dcd

It is working for me as well but SWTSpotter is not there anymore. Could we have a position number as the first column please?

noddy1878

Established Member
Well after trip to Scotland for 4 days and then a trip to Cologne I have managed 3694 miles in just over a week. Thanks to 33056 with the German distances help. It puts me onto 7508 for the year so far.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going forward please bear in mind that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and disqualification from this year's competition immediately.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Finally got my RailMiles back up to date now after going through the Tyne and Wear Metro mileages. Anyone reading my RailMiles page will note lots of rounded down figures for the Tyne and Wear Metro, that's because I couldn't be bothered to faff around with converting it too carefully. So under-claiming with all figures rounded down to the nearest quarter-mile.

2,217 miles now, not bad for 2 months where I worked most of the time!

Trainfan344

Established Member
Going forward please bear in mind that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and disqualification from this year's competition immediately.

I take it this is to stop people making up their mileage?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
After doing a Coast & Peaks Rover I'm now standing at 1946mi 38ch for the year so far. I'm hoping to increase this a bit more this month, I've got a Southern DaySave planned for the end of the month, and I'm planning a few more trips out for my week off work.

Status
Not open for further replies.