• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers' bad habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I like that idea Jake. Must try it out at some point! :lol:

For me the bad habit that annoys me the most is when passengers leave their rubbish on the table or on the floor for the train cleaners to pick it up after them. I don't know why people just can't take it with them and put in the nearest bin once they've got off the train (or in the bin on the train if one is available). It really does make me wonder if they do the same at home!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Reading to guarantee an undisturbed journey

watchtower_2010454c.jpg

jon0844

Veteran Member
For me the bad habit that annoys me the most is when passengers leave their rubbish on the table or on the floor for the train cleaners to pick it up after them. I don't know why people just can't take it with them and put in the nearest bin once they've got off the train (or in the bin on the train if one is available). It really does make me wonder if they do the same at home!

People always used to (maybe they still do) dump their copy of Metro on the seats at Old Street when getting off, totally oblivious to the fact that when the train left the station and into the tunnel towards Moorgate, said papers were sucked off the seats and onto the platform or track.

Mind you, on a train, there are a number of people that I've heard genuinely not realise there are bins. On some stock, they're pretty well hidden. Perhaps some signs to show where bins are might be a cheap way to partially improve things.

Sure, people will dump their crap on seats, the floor and elsewhere, but those who stack things up nicely are probably thinking it's the best they can do. That's not an excuse, but an understanding of why they might do it. Just as I'm sure those leaving a newspaper on a platform seat think in their head that they're being helpful, by leaving a copy for the next person [Sure, at Old Street, the number of people boarding to go to Moorgate can probably be counted on one hand for a whole day!].

flymo

Established Member
People playing bloody Candy Crush Saga and the like on their phones with the sound on!

<snip>

.......the girl behind me kept sniffing every few seconds.

This pretty much describes every trip I have taken every day on the MTR in Hong Kong in the last year or so. I get on the train feeling all relaxed then get off 20 minutes later wanting to rip someone's head off..... Rest assured Candy Crush and sniffing is not just a UK thing... :D I had two ladies apparently competing in a sniffing contest recently. The lady in the green dress beat the lady in the red dress by 76 sniffs to 73 in 10 minutes or so. Could be a new world record if we did but know it....

Regarding the free newspapers, we get these here too but at both ends of the journey you have to run the gauntlet of little old ladies. They thrust them at you when you go into the station then promptly try to rip them out of your hand at the other end. When they get enough, they can weigh them in for recycling and get their breakfast money. It is an entire industry built up around giving something away for free. Having said that it does mean the free papers are never left lying around for too long. There are hoards of older people roaming the MTR every morning picking them up from a myriad of distributors, getting the ones left on trains or picking them out of bins and loading up their trolleys. I kid you not... !! Keeps the place tidy mind.. :)

devon_metro

Established Member
the people getting off who insist on barging past you no matter how much space has been left for them to get off or how convenient that space is (had this many times, people getting off the train going out of their way to barge into people waiting to get on)

Whilst I don't go out of my way to do it, if you stand in front of the doors blocking the exit, expect to get barged out of the way. This is of course made worse by the fact that residents of Stratford (London) are seemingly unable to follow basic instructions to "stand clear" or "keep left in the subways". :roll:

jon0844

Veteran Member
At Stratford you have people on scooters and bikes riding around the subways. It's quite lawless down there at times.

trainophile

Established Member
Men who, when about to sit in a seat on the opposite side of the aisle to me, make a big production of taking their jacket off, while sticking their bum in my face and waving their elbows around with no regard to their proximity to other people. Then, when preparing to leave the train, bending over to collect their bags off the window seat, again shoving their bum within an inch of my head. Not briefly either, sometimes I have to skew my shoulder out of the way to avoid the offending bottom while the owner has a good rummage around!

People wearing backpacks who barge down the aisle swinging their rucksack into the heads of all and sundry. Both of these happened to me yesterday!

People wearing rucksacks on full and standing trains, and not taking them off, again bumping them into the faces of any seated passengers, while occupying more standing space than necessary.

People who board first, then spend ages stowing their cases in the luggage racks, while preventing those behind them from getting past. Meanwhile those who boarded at the other end of the coach are piling on and taking all the best seats in the whole length of the coach!

Why do I always seem to pick the door where there's a woman with a buggy and a small child getting off, along with a couple of very elderly folk who can hardly walk even with their sticks, and for good measure followed up by someone with two of the largest suitcases ever produced, that they can barely heave off the train? :roll:

Mobile phone bores. But these are so commonplace now that I resort to (hopefully not leaky) earphones to try to ignore them and their banality.

One that I am curious about - people who board at a major station (in yesterday's case Manchester Piccadilly) and when the guard comes round after Stockport inspecting tickets, the young lass asks for a single to Wilmslow with a railcard. He sells her one. No reprimand for not purchasing at the station where she had ample opportunity. Makes me wonder whether she hoped to avoid paying... no, I can't imagine that would be the case :roll: .

Also it's rare that anyone is ever threatened with punishment for feet on Merseyrail seats. Seems the line of least resistance is a brief request to remove them. Makes a bit of a mockery of the so-called bylaws.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Men who, when about to sit in a seat on the opposite side of the aisle to me, make a big production of taking their jacket off, while sticking their bum in my face and waving their elbows around with no regard to their proximity to other people. Then, when preparing to leave the train, bending over to collect their bags off the window seat, again shoving their bum within an inch of my head. Not briefly either, sometimes I have to skew my shoulder out of the way to avoid the offending bottom while the owner has a good rummage around!

People wearing backpacks who barge down the aisle swinging their rucksack into the heads of all and sundry. Both of these happened to me yesterday!

People wearing rucksacks on full and standing trains, and not taking them off, again bumping them into the faces of any seated passengers, while occupying more standing space than necessary.

People who board first, then spend ages stowing their cases in the luggage racks, while preventing those behind them from getting past. Meanwhile those who boarded at the other end of the coach are piling on and taking all the best seats in the whole length of the coach!

Why do I always seem to pick the door where there's a woman with a buggy and a small child getting off, along with a couple of very elderly folk who can hardly walk even with their sticks, and for good measure followed up by someone with two of the largest suitcases ever produced, that they can barely heave off the train? :roll:

Mobile phone bores. But these are so commonplace now that I resort to (hopefully not leaky) earphones to try to ignore them and their banality.

One that I am curious about - people who board at a major station (in yesterday's case Manchester Piccadilly) and when the guard comes round after Stockport inspecting tickets, the young lass asks for a single to Wilmslow with a railcard. He sells her one. No reprimand for not purchasing at the station where she had ample opportunity. Makes me wonder whether she hoped to avoid paying... no, I can't imagine that would be the case :roll: .

Also it's rare that anyone is ever threatened with punishment for feet on Merseyrail seats. Seems the line of least resistance is a brief request to remove them. Makes a bit of a mockery of the so-called bylaws.

Off course the guard should have only sold an anytime single with no railcard discount (but I bet he/she didn't)

Didn't Merseyrail have a court case thrown out when they tried to take someone to court for breaching the bylaws?

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

trainophile

Established Member
So how can it be a bylaw if no penalty can be enforced?

There's a young lass sitting across the aisle from me now (on a LM to Birmingham New Street) with her feet on the facing table seat, and I could smack her one but then I'd be the one in court. Never see a guard on this service so no support there.

Forgot to include my most hated passenger thing of all - the smelly ones! Sweat, smoke, stale BO, urgh turns my stomach if they sit next to me. I carry a small perfume spray for such occasions now, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can I add to this discussion passengers who, during delays and disruption, insist on talking loudly (or yabber loudly into their phones) over informative announcements. Having clearly not listened, they then insist on whingeing that there's "no information!"

Or passengers who just seem incapable of listening/reading things generally, or working anything out for themselves...

HowardGWR

Established Member

I don't know why you always do this. It seems a very strange coincidence.:D

GatwickDepress

Established Member
There's a young lass sitting across the aisle from me now (on a LM to Birmingham New Street) with her feet on the facing table seat, and I could smack her one but then I'd be the one in court. Never see a guard on this service so no support there.
Probably because assault is more serious than somebody putting their feet on a seat that sees more smelly arses than my local at lock in time? It'll probably be easier to deal with if you develop a foot fetish or something. ;)

MrPIC

People who stand by the doors on Mk. 3 stock who don't know how to open the door. If you are first by the door to get off you are I/C of that door and have the responsibility of opening it!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
This pretty much describes every trip I have taken every day on the MTR in Hong Kong in the last year or so. I get on the train feeling all relaxed then get off 20 minutes later wanting to rip someone's head off..... Rest assured Candy Crush and sniffing is not just a UK thing... :D I had two ladies apparently competing in a sniffing contest recently. The lady in the green dress beat the lady in the red dress by 76 sniffs to 73 in 10 minutes or so. Could be a new world record if we did but know it....

I was on a train early yesterday morning and there was a load sniffer too, I felt like offering her a paper hanky.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So how can it be a bylaw if no penalty can be enforced?

Forgot to include my most hated passenger thing of all - the smelly ones! Sweat, smoke, stale BO, urgh turns my stomach if they sit next to me. I carry a small perfume spray for such occasions now, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Yes feet on seats are a paid, even if they take their shoes off and rest their socked feed on the seat. I do remember hearing years ago of a guard or tti, whacking a yob who had his feet on the seat, across the shins with an umbrella or walking stick and he moved them, although I don't know how true that was.

Smelly people and smelly food too, I agree are not nice. The train I boarded on the way home last night was rather "Ripe" shall we say, but it was a hot day and that train did not have air con. Summer days on the old circle line trains could be rather pungent too. In days when smoking was allowed, your clothes could reek of stales fags too.

Another thing I don't like are umbrellas, especially the big golfing ones. You can get eye eye poked out with the spike at the end or the little ones around the side too. Then you get an extra shower when they are shaken out and or drip down on you from the luggage racks above.

Bodiddly

Mobile phone bores. These are the types who I honestly believe are so down the company food chain they aren't actually talking to anyone on the other end, just spraffing nonesense to make themselves look interesting. Why anyone would want to have a phone conversation with several complete strangers listening to you talk garbage, I will never understand. Train carriages should be wrapped in lead! <(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Anybody who opens a packet of cream cheese and chive pringles. As well as having quite some of the most annoying advertising ever devised (no mean feat in this day and age) the aroma makes me want to gip.

jon0844

Veteran Member
People who have a portion of proper fish and chip shop chips and won't automatically offer to share them with me.

Established Member
Recently I was on a TPX Class 350 going to Scotland and my partner had left her seat to go and use the toilet just as we arrived at a station. Whilst she was gone a passenger who had just boarded decided to sit in her seat (sitting on her handbag in the process) without asking me if the seat was available

After politely asking them to vacate the seat because my partner had gone to the toilet and she would be returning - and pointing out to them that they had sat on her handbag - they got up with a simple grunt and without an apology for potentially damaging anything inside my partner's bag. I don't mind people sitting next to me if the train is busy - but some simple manners wouldn't go amiss

TheNewNo2

Mobile phone bores. These are the types who I honestly believe are so down the company food chain they aren't actually talking to anyone on the other end, just spraffing nonesense to make themselves look interesting. Why anyone would want to have a phone conversation with several complete strangers listening to you talk garbage, I will never understand. Train carriages should be wrapped in lead! <(

Apologies, I can't find a video...
Not the Nine O'Clock News said:
Assesor: I see you work with radio-active materials and wish to claim compensation.

Trucker: Yeah, I feel really sick.

Assesor: Alright then, Does your employer take measures to protect you from radiation poisoning?

Trucker: Yeah, he gives me a lead suit to wear on the job.

Assesor: And what about the cabin in which you drive?

Trucker: Oh yeah. That's lead lined, all lead lined.

Assessor: What about the waste itself? Where is that kept?

Trucker: Oh, the stuff is held in a lead container, all lead.

Assesor: Let me see if I get this straight. You wear a lead suit, sit in a lead-lined cabin and the radio-active waste is kept in a lead container.

Trucker: Yeah, thats right all lead

Assesor: Then I can't see how you could claim against him for radiation poisoning.

Trucker: I'm not. I claiming for lead poisoning.

Kernowfem

passengers who feel the need to defecate on seats is right at the very top. The recent incident on a London midland service was disgusting.

Minilad

Established Member
passengers who feel the need to defecate on seats is right at the very top. The recent incident on a London midland service was disgusting.

At least the gentleman had the decency to wrap it in a copy of The Metro on that occasion. Probably the only suitable use for The Metro thinking about it

Kernowfem

At least the gentleman had the decency to wrap it in a copy of The Metro on that occasion. Probably the only suitable use for The Metro thinking about it

Oh I don't know. "Rush hour crush" is rather funny. The rest of it....well, yes, I see your point.

Anybody who opens a packet of cream cheese and chive pringles. As well as having quite some of the most annoying advertising ever devised (no mean feat in this day and age) the aroma makes me want to gip.

I see your Cream Cheese & Chive Pringles, and raise you the girl who sat next to me a couple of days ago and promptly opened a sharer bag of Cheesy Doritos.

(She didn't share them)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I thought that was on the floor? Was it on the seat? Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.