• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers' bad habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainbhx

The lady on the LM 350 to BHM last Friday, who apart from looking like she had chosen her tan from the Ronseal catalogue proceeded to apply some even more orange and highly smelly foundation all the way from Stafford to Wolves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sunday travellers drifting around Leeds station with no sense of urgency, particularly with those stupid Cases on wheels.

SS4

Established Member
Slow speeds in general - one reason why my username is named after Sonic

• If your reservation is seat 40 it is not going to be right in front of seat 2 so don't check every seat!
  • Moving through carriages for much the same reason as above
  • Stopping outside the doors/at the escalators/ahead of the trolley/almost anywhere
  • Those ahead of you that won't let you pass and you can't slip by on the sides (groups or individuals)
  • Chatting instead of focussing on where they need to go
  • Taking an eternity of what to pick from the buffet car/shop

trainophile

Established Member
Sunday travellers drifting around Leeds station with no sense of urgency, particularly with those stupid Cases on wheels.

Why do some of you have such a downer on wheeled cases? They are a godsend for those of advancing age or limited agility, especially given the size of some stations these days!

I wouldn't want to carry a week's worth of luggage in a backpack, or even a non-wheeled suitcase.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Indeed. Wheels are the future! Mind you, some bags are so large these days that I have to wonder why they're not just coupled up to the back of some trains.

Bodiddly

Why do some of you have such a downer on wheeled cases? They are a godsend for those of advancing age or limited agility, especially given the size of some stations these days!

I wouldn't want to carry a week's worth of luggage in a backpack, or even a non-wheeled suitcase.

It's not the wheeled case itself that's the problem, more the owner. As with everything else mentioned in this thread, they only become a problem when the inconsiderate users of cases, mobile phones, food etc feel it necessary to inflict grief on to the wider travelling public.
Good to see i'm not the only grumpy old man here! :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Because they slow everything down and always seem to be in the right place to trip over.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So how do wheeled cases vs non-wheeled, (presumably carried cases) 'slow everything down'?

Because people are forever stopping every five minutes and fiddling with their handles, if they're not defying instructions and taking them on the escalators, rather than in the lift.

trainophile

Established Member
Because people are forever stopping every five minutes and fiddling with their handles, if they're not defying instructions and taking them on the escalators, rather than in the lift.

Given that about 80% of train passengers seem to be in possession of a wheeled case these days it would be unrealistic for them all to queue for the lift to their relevant platform, especially on a tight connection. I've had experience of this at Birminghsm New Street, where one escalator seems to be permanently out of action and the lift serving those platforms helpfully informs us that "please note the size of this lift has been reduced". Some families with a buggy and a couple of cases can take the whole thing up. On one occasion I had to wait in a queue for four trips before I could get on.

So I tend to use the escalator where available, and I tuck my little case on the step behind me so it isn't in anyone's way.

sprinterguy

Established Member
If those were the only instances where they were used then I wouldn't have so much of a problem, but they are truly god awful things and their shortcomings are exacerbated by their frustrating prevalence:

• The length of their ridiculous handles means that the "footprint" for the average human being is multiplied threefold in length.
  • Related to this it means that people take on the characteristics of an articulated lorry - functioning as a two piece "unit" - when turning through ninety degrees or more, which reduces greatly the opportunities to get around these people or cut across behind them.
  • They are a horrendous trip hazard as their top edge is generally at little more than knee height as they are being pulled along, making them all but invisible amongst a large number of people and outside of the immediate field of vision when focusing on navigating such crowds.
  • As yorksrob says their owners are also constantly fiddling with the damn handles: Stop at the top of the escalators to retract the handle and lift, stop at the bottom of the escalators to extend the handle, stop at the entrance of the train to retract the handle and lift onboard... <(
I also suspect that a number of people are using these wheeled cases in order to convey far more luggage than they could otherwise carry. If you can't lift your own luggage (regarding those who are able-bodied), then consider travelling lighter. :roll:

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member

So it's OK for somebody to carry a case say 800x600x250mm weighing 20Kg but not to wheel it.

If you travel on trains that are on prime holiday routes, then you expect passengers who can't safely lift 20Kg in a case to curtail the duration of their holidays so that all their needs can be accomodated in a carrier bag, or not use trains because it might inconvenience you. Maybe the carriage of inconveniently old or not fully (athletically) fit passengers should be similarly withdrawn. They are not bad habits, they are just ordinary people doing what everybody else does on trains, i.e. travelling to where they need/want to go, paying for the privilege and according to the NRCoCs.
You should put this in the 'I don't like it therefore....' thread.

Last edited:

TheNewNo2

I also suspect that a number of people are using these wheeled cases in order to convey far more luggage than they could otherwise carry. If you can't lift your own luggage (regarding those who are able-bodied), then consider travelling lighter. :roll:

Not all of us have cars, so may need cases that can carry a lot of stuff when we're going somewhere. For instance when visiting my parents around birthdays, I take a big case because I will have a lot to carry either there or on the way back! I try not to take lots at other times, though that's more because it's annoying at work than on trains.

sprinterguy

Established Member
So it's OK for somebody to carry a case say 800x600x250mm weighing 20Kg but not to wheel it.

If you travel on trains that are on prime holiday routes, then you expect passengers who can't safely lift 20Kg in a case to curtail the duration of their holidays so that all their needs can be accomodated in a carrier bag, or not use trains because it might inconvenience you.
I wouldn't suggest that people curtail their holidays, but to personally consider whether everything that they are taking with them is really necessary. I don't believe that a week or two away automatically requires 20kg of luggage, either - there's a risk of overplaying the "worst case" (no pun intended ;)) scenario, here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They are not bad habits, they are just ordinary people doing what everybody else does on trains, i.e. travelling to where they need/want to go, paying for the privilege and according to the NRCoCs.
It is true that most of my gripes can be levelled at the poor design of the wheeled cases rather than the actions of the people using them, although a little more consideration before stopping dead at the top (or bottom) of a flight of escalators wouldn't go amiss.

trainophile

Established Member
Ah, the good old days when every holiday resort had a launderette! :lol:

Changing the subject, a couple just got on the Merseyrail train I'm on, with a toddler of about two, and plonked him standing on a seat to look out the window. Small children are more likely than adults to have goodness knows what on their shoes as they don't look where they are going.

The guard came through and took no notice whatsoever :( .

AM9

Veteran Member
If those were the only instances where they were used then I wouldn't have so much of a problem, but they are truly god awful things and their shortcomings are exacerbated by their frustrating prevalence:

• The length of their ridiculous handles means that the "footprint" for the average human being is multiplied threefold in length.

• The 'ridiculous handles' are designed to be used by people to pull the case along. Some may think that these cases should be designed for 'knuckle dragging' humans but they are used by normal people as well.

[*]Related to this it means that people take on the characteristics of an articulated lorry - functioning as a two piece "unit" - when turning through ninety degrees or more, which reduces greatly the opportunities to get around these people or cut across behind them.

I take it you aren't a cyclist as by now you might have had a mishap.

[*]They are a horrendous trip hazard as their top edge is generally at little more than knee height as they are being pulled along, making them all but invisible amongst a large number of people and outside of the immediate field of vision when focusing on navigating such crowds.

Only to those who are in such a rush as not to look where they are going. Use some sense, - if there is a gap next to or behind somebody moving at the same speed as they are walking, there's probably something in that space.

[*]As yorksrob says their owners are also constantly fiddling with the damn handles: Stop at the top of the escalators to retract the handle and lift, stop at the bottom of the escalators to extend the handle, stop at the entrance of the train to retract the handle and lift onboard... <(

Stopping before an escalator is necessary. I might agree with you on anybody stopping at the end of an escalator but many of those twits are stopping to find their tickets or checking their phones in my experience. If the PTI doesn't allow them to wheel the case on, how do you expeact them to board?

That's just another 'people less fit/in a hurry than me shouldn't get in my way' statement.
So only fit and/or healthy people can carry the luggage that they might need. I don't see how any of us here can judge whether they do need what they take especially as they struggle with it. Unless they carry too much just to annoy people like you.
I can't believe that so many posters consider what others need to do when they travel, 'bad habits'. Noisy passengers, feet on seats, occupying more than one seat, making a mess and food litter, etc. I agree are all either inconsiderate or even against the bylaws, but things that less fortunate passengers need to do to make journeys, I don't think should be sentenced as 'bad habits'.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The 'ridiculous handles' are designed to be used by people to pull the case along.
Yes, and they're poorly designed.
I take it you aren't a cyclist as by now you might have had a mishap.
Yes, I am, though that is hardly relevant as people do not typically exhibit the same behaviour as an articulated lorry, while this is something that is being accounted for when sharing road space with the genuine article.
Only to those who are in such a rush as not to look where they are going. Use some sense, - if there is a gap next to or behind somebody moving at the same speed as they are walking, there's probably something in that space.
Correct, and I do in fact act as you suggest, but it's one more thing to look out for - an unnecessary hazard.
If the PTI doesn't allow them to wheel the case on, how do you expeact them to board?
By using a case that doesn't need to be converted between the wheeled and carried form in quite so manual a fashion. Either by using a carried case or rucksack or, again, an opportunity for someone to look into the design of the handles on wheeled cases.
So only fit and/or healthy people can carry the luggage that they might need.
No, hence the caveat "regarding those who are able-bodied" and my previous comment suggesting that their might be a purpose to these wheeled cases in assisting those that are frail or less able. They just don't need to be everywhere.
I don't see how any of us here can judge whether they do need what they take especially as they struggle with it.
Indeed, that is for the individual to assess.

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes, and they're poorly designed.

In your opinion. Plenty of designs are available so purchasers choose the one that suits them best.

By using a case that doesn't need to be converted between the wheeled and carried form in quite so manual a fashion. Either by using a carried case or rucksack or, again, an opportunity for someone to look into the design of the handles on wheeled cases.

I'm sure that Antler, Samsonite et al know far more than you or I about how case handles and wheels work in practice. If air travel is their main market, there are enough obstacles in some airports, escalators, steps, doors from car parks, other people etc. that handle design has been fully developed. Fashion and weight/strength are the two big drivers in modern luggage design now.

No, hence the caveat "regarding those who are able-bodied" and my previous comment suggesting that their might be a purpose to these wheeled cases in assisting those that are frail or less able. They just don't need to be everywhere.

Indeed, that is for the individual to assess.

Precisely, and so it is for all sorts of disability, - nobody should make assumptions about the fitness state of others. When you were last inconvenienced by somebody with a wheeled case, they could easily have been sombody who really needed it so that they could travel just like ordinary people do.
It maybe that many of those now using wheeled cases have damaged backs caused by carrying heavy cases long distances.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm sure that Antler, Samsonite et al know far more than you or I about how case handles and wheels work in practice.
Undoubtedly - I have very little idea, and even less interest, in such things. It does surprise me however that more people do not view these cases as being poorly designed for busy airports or transport interchanges. There seem to be so many disadvantages to them in a crowded environment as to outweigh the advantages to the individual.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It maybe that many of those now using wheeled cases have damaged backs caused by carrying heavy cases long distances.
I strongly suspect that to be somewhat hyperbolic, as otherwise, based on the prevalence of these cases at major transport interchanges, we clearly have an epidemic that has gone unreported. :shock:;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't have a problem with the cases, rather the people who can't use them properly. Changing direction or walking diagonally to avoid people is fine if you look and remember you have a case. If not, it's very easy to bump into someone or potentially trip them.

But that's human error, not the fault of the bag.

Likewise, anyone that stops at the top or bottom of an escalator is an idiot. People can do that without a bag, so again it's not the fault of a bag. It's someone stopping to do something with no thought for people behind - whether it's stopping at the bottom of an escalator to decide where to go, or at the top to get your paper ticket out.

Seen both, regularly, and it's amazing. Usually a group of tourists, who appear to come from a place that I'd imagine has a public transportation network that has things like escalators, corridors and walkways, gatelines etc.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, I can't stand the damned things. Other posters are, of course, free to disagree.

Ray90

- Anybody unaware of how much space they are taking up and frankly not trying e.g. standing on top of other people's feet, leaning on other people's shoulders, breathing heavily on other people's necks or faces (yuck). I regularly get a peak 319 to BFR and in the crowded doorways there's always one who has to read the Evening Standard while others receive rhinoplasty from the plexiglass dividers.

- People who stare. Staring right back atcha, buddy.

- People who have to sit with legs wide apart, in a fashion that goes wider than the seat they are on. No one wants to know how much you need to ventilate your genitals, or what your leg feels like against theirs. And the further you try to edge away, the more they spread out.

AndyJB

Smelly people and smelly food too, I agree are not nice. The train I boarded on the way home last night was rather "Ripe" shall we say, but it was a hot day and that train did not have air con. Summer days on the old circle line trains could be rather pungent too. In days when smoking was allowed, your clothes could reek of stales fags too.

I particularly hate smelly people forcing their stench on others too. Feel like saying "soap too expensive for you?" or "if I give you a couple of quid, will you buy yourself some Lynx or something?".
I really do loathe being stuck in a relatively small space with someone who is so lacking in social skills that they either don't think, or don't care, about the fact that they stink and that others have to endure their BO problem.

Mobile phone bores; yeah, these are annoying although it has to be said, I'd rather they fed their mobile phone obsession on a train than behind the wheel of a car, which is all too common too...... <(

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member

So it's no problem at all that they cause congestion in the same manner that a motorised scooter on an A-road does? Similarly they're more difficult to overtake and are often in the mathematically worst place to be (flow rate = cross sectional area * velocity or Q = Av) so a low speed at the widest area throttles the flow

That's just another 'people less fit/in a hurry than me shouldn't get in my way' statement.
So only fit and/or healthy people can carry the luggage that they might need. I don't see how any of us here can judge whether they do need what they take especially as they struggle with it. Unless they carry too much just to annoy people like you.

Your second sentence does not follow on from your first. I would argue staying out of the way of those faster is being considerate.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
People who think the "Keep Left on the Stairs" signs at Huddersfield station subway are not aimed at them. I've taken to walking on the right hand side of the 'left' in order to force them to the right (left!) side. :roll:

AM9

Veteran Member
So it's no problem at all that they cause congestion in the same manner that a motorised scooter on an A-road does? Similarly they're more difficult to overtake and are often in the mathematically worst place to be (flow rate = cross sectional area * velocity or Q = Av) so a low speed at the widest area throttles the flow

Your second sentence does not follow on from your first. I would argue staying out of the way of those faster is being considerate.

Just Keep Calm and Get Over It.
Anybody who pays for a ticket has an equal right to travel as you. I don't see why they should stand aside to let the impatient ones push past.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Anybody who pays for a ticket has an equal right to travel as you. I don't see why they should stand aside to let the impatient ones push past.
On the flip side of that coin, why shouldn't those who are moving more slowly show some slight consideration for other rail users and awareness of their surroundings, and give those who are moving faster - potentially to make an onward connection or an urgent appointment, etc. - the opportunity to pass?

SS4

Established Member
Just Keep Calm and Get Over It.

Using the word impatient conveys your bias on the topic. What is impatient about travelling at normal speed only to be blocked by a slow moving vehicle ahead? I never said they should stand aside but to keep out of the main flow of traffic

To use an analogy with our roads the wheeled trollies are middle lane hoggers. Nobody cares if the lorries/cars use the inside lane but occupying the middle lane is inconsiderate.

On the flip side of that coin, why shouldn't those who are moving more slowly show some slight consideration for other rail users and awareness of their surroundings, and give those who are moving faster - potentially to make an onward connection or an urgent appointment, etc. - the opportunity to pass?

That's largely what I'm trying to say.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Changing the subject, a couple just got on the Merseyrail train I'm on, with a toddler of about two, and plonked him standing on a seat to look out the window. Small children are more likely than adults to have goodness knows what on their shoes as they don't look where they are going.

That annoys me too. I have sometimes seen the guard/train crew tell people to get their feet off the seats but it does not always happen and if it does, the offender often puts their feet back when the staff have moved away.

AndyJB

Ah, the good old days when every holiday resort had a launderette! :lol:

I don't really blame him. The consequence of addressing said situation would likely be headlines in some local paper somewhere that read "Cruel Train Guard refuses to let child look out of the window". Probably followed by a compensation claim for something like 'emotional distress'.

Because it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.....

Status
Not open for further replies.