• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pigeon Causes 6min Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
You've probably read this and thought what this all about. :)

Today while awaiting 2000 Bristol - Birmingham 220018 to couple up to 220030 I noticed a dead piegon in the coupling of 220030, I made a joke with the driver that's piegon mash in a moment. he laughed, so 22030 tries to couple to 220018 no joy. Tries again still no joy. So the driver gets out and tries to couple 220018 to 220030 no luck. Hang on a minute this pigeon is being disruptive. :) driver gets out on 220018, gets his Hand a takes the piegon out of 220030 and has another go. FINALLY were good to go :) everybody thought this was funny.

Anybody got any interesting stories about animals causing disruption. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
urgh, I wouldn't mind betting there's something in Health & Safety about removing mashed pigeons, particularly with one's bare hands. I admire his dedication to minimising delay, but I think I'd ask for a pair of gloves. :-/

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
You've probably read this and thought what this all about. :)

Today while awaiting 2000 Bristol - Birmingham 220018 to couple up to 220030 I noticed a dead piegon in the coupling of 220030, I made a joke with the driver that's piegon mash in a moment. he laughed, so 22030 tries to couple to 220018 no joy. Tries again still no joy. So the driver gets out and tries to couple 220018 to 220030 no luck. Hang on a minute this pigeon is being disruptive. :) driver gets out on 220018, gets his Hand a takes the piegon out of 220030 and has another go. FINALLY were good to go :) everybody thought this was funny.

Anybody got any interesting stories about animals causing disruption. :)

All I can say is, what is a PIEGON, with all respect

sprinterguy

Established Member
All I can say is, what is a PIEGON.
It's a further sub-species of the humble pigeon: In the same way as the pigeons that frequent our city centres are descendants of the rock dove, so is the piegon descended from the pigeon, having cornered itself a niche corner of the market by foraging only for cheap, take away pastry products from the many high street outlets dealing in such commodities. Hence the name, pie-gon.

Established Member
It's a further sub-species of the humble pigeon: In the same way as the pigeons that frequent our city centres are descendants of the rock dove, so is the piegon descended from the pigeon, having cornered itself a niche corner of the market by foraging only for cheap, take away pastry products from the many high street outlets dealing in such commodities. Hence the name, pie-gon.

:D

I once saw a pigeon run over by a bus, but was still obviously alive. Cue Mr. Seagull to swoop down and start eating some of it...

sprinterguy

Established Member
:D

I once saw a pigeon run over by a bus, but was still obviously alive. Cue Mr. Seagull to swoop down and start eating some of it...
The urban reality of the circle of life. You don't see Elton John singing about that now, do you... :D

There's the well known phenomena of exploding pigeons causing delays at stations with OHLE, but I think that's a bit grisly, rather than amusing.

Established Member
The urban reality of the circle of life. You don't see Elton John singing about that now, do you... :D

There's the well known phenomena of exploding pigeons causing delays at stations with OHLE, but I think that's a bit grisly, rather than amusing.

Carlisle used to have that netting to keep the pigeons out, which wasn't successful at all. Quite a few dead ones used to get trapped, and I'm sure when I looked close enough you could see the maggots and other things.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Anybody got any interesting stories about animals causing disruption.
I would expect that most people on here have travelled on enough rural services to have encountered animals on the track quite a few times.
Its regrettable that many collisions are unavoidable, particularly on unfenced lines, but in so many areas sheep and other creatures seem so proficient at finding the smallest gap in fencing and then, having got onto the line, wander further. Then they become trapped lineside by the very fencing that had been constructed to keep them out!
Collisions are almost inevtibale in cuttings.

On my own regular routes, animal incursion is frequent, and the inevitable and regular collision is regrettable. Fortunately, the post-Polmont considerations and recomendations seem to have eliminated the greatest hazards to high-speed rail travel from large animals. Birds, much as I love them, are not a high-risk hazard, so all I have by way of 'a story' relates to a road vehicle. I'd agreed to take in a vehicle from Edinburgh but the delivery driver apologised for havng struck a huge crow on the A1 and hadn't been able to extract it from the radiator grille where it was impalled.

I chastised him for not using the proper tools - in this case, a crow-bar.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Carlisle used to have that netting to keep the pigeons out, which wasn't successful at all. Quite a few dead ones used to get trapped, and I'm sure when I looked close enough you could see the maggots and other things.
Yeah, I remember that netting: The raucous evening chorus of chirping coming from within the roof proved on a daily basis that it didn't work. :lol: And as you say, the most it ever did was stop dead pigeons and starlings from dropping to the floor, instead keeping them suspended twenty feet or so above passengers' heads!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Serious question, why aren't the 3rd rail tracksides littered with the dead corpses of foxes, badgers, cats etc.?

Or maybe they are!

In some places I believe badger runs are in place under the track, to avoid the animals frying themselves on the 3rd rail.

12CSVT

Established Member
In some places I believe badger runs are in place under the track, to avoid the animals frying themselves on the 3rd rail.

I seem to remember British Rail were required to do that when they elelctrified Tonbridge to Hastings

Tugzrule

How does the maggots dropping onto enthusiasts below sound? I know someone who that happened to and let's just say they weren't best amused. Still get the bird c*** from the roosting starlings at the P2 end causing some bother, the pigeons taken care of by other means...

Lrd

Established Member
I have seen, what looked to be, a bird being dragged by one of the shoes on a 444, just came from the Bournemouth area for a little trip up to London.

Also, I have seen plenty of birds taking a rest on the third rail.

tsr

Established Member
Serious question, why aren't the 3rd rail tracksides littered with the dead corpses of foxes, badgers, cats etc.?

Or maybe they are!

Some animals might be able to sense electric current much in the same way that humans can hear a buzz from some electrical equipment, but I'm not sure what scientific proof there might be of this... Also, the electrical resistance of a small animal such as a cat would be significantly lower than that of a human, and the current might not be as severely affected as to cause a shock.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Earlier today a horse on the track was causing delays on the south wales valley lines near Treherbert.

Lrd

Established Member
If the bird is touching nothing else it will not complete the circuit and will therefore not get zapped.

I know, just caught me out at first, until I woke up and remembered the whole electrical circuit stuff.

Established Member
Some animals might be able to sense electric current much in the same way that humans can hear a buzz from some electrical equipment, but I'm not sure what scientific proof there might be of this... Also, the electrical resistance of a small animal such as a cat would be significantly lower than that of a human, and the current might not be as severely affected as to cause a shock.
I am sure there is at least some truth in this. A signal box I used to work on a 3rd rail route had a cat and it studiously avoided the "juice" to the extent that it always walked round the back, away from the tracks and took a route along the bank using an underbridge to get to the other side of the railway.

Regarding pigeons, once had two that caused a flashover on the overheads knocking out a track circuit in the process. Following an examination of the line and being advised of the cause, the box supervisor duly recorded the incident in his log as being caused by "two pigeons coupled" :lol:

Dr.iver

Whilst doing my train handling a few years back a Jay flew through our open cab window and struck my driver trainer on the forehead, he was cut on the side of his head and bled quite a bit whilst the poor Jay lay dead on the cab floor. It took a long time to convince the signaller what had happened due to mine and his laughter

pendolino

Or maybe they are!

They are. Don't see too many cats, but plenty of badgers and foxes, often in the gap between 3rd rail and adjacent running rail. The badgers' bodies seem to inflate as they decompose leading to their legs sticking out at weird angles.

Sorry if you're eating your tea.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They are. Don't see too many cats, but plenty of badgers and foxes, often in the gap between 3rd rail and adjacent running rail. The badgers' bodies seem to inflate as they decompose leading to their legs sticking out at weird angles.

Sorry if you're eating your tea.

All bodies inflate as they decompose - it's the gases produced as a result of the decomposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.