• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rare Passenger Workings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
When I worked in Aberdeen there often some "illegal" moves
I remember a ScotRail Glasgow - Dyce service accidently arrived in Platform 3
The signaller thought it was the Edinburgh - Aberdeen

To make it worse on reversing the signaller misunderstood the request and it ended up getting routed to the kick back siding to Clayhills!

It then came back into platform 7S rather than 6S
The train then had to wait for the next Inverness service to arrive
The passengers must really have been confused as some got off at platform 7 thinking they were at Dyce!

Afterwards the driver discussed this with me, and there were some choice words

455driver

Veteran Member
That's a breach of operational procedures, there should not be any passengers on during that move
Saying that, it is Aberdeen; beyond the end of the time zone...

If it isnt going into a siding (it stays on the main line) why should all the passengers get off?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why is there that random mid-morning TPE service to hull that goes through Brough non-stop. The only service to do so? :D

I have never fully understood this myself. I heard from a source (that I can't completely remember) that when Brough station was built, the Lord of the manor who owned the land specified that all trains had to call there, so perhaps this breaks an ancient by-law!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I have never fully understood this myself. I heard from a source (that I can't completely remember) that when Brough station was built, the Lord of the manor who owned the land specified that all trains had to call there, so perhaps this breaks an ancient by-law!

A similar situation exists at Stockport whereby all (passenger) trains using the viaduct must call - as the builders were so proud of their work - no-one can just find where it written however, which is why (generally) there was a massive commotion when XC stopped calling half their trains there

TheBigD

Established Member
Why is there that random mid-morning TPE service to hull that goes through Brough non-stop. The only service to do so?

The train in question is the 0736 MAN-HUL. It arrives at Hull at 0931, splits, one unit does the 0940 back to Manchester and the other unit does the 1038 departure. If it called at Brough it would have insufficient time to at Hull to split and form the 0940 departure.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The train in question is the 0736 MAN-HUL. It arrives at Hull at 0931, splits, one unit does the 0940 back to Manchester and the other unit does the 1038 departure. If it called at Brough it would have insufficient time to at Hull to split and form the 0940 departure.

Now this makes a lot of sense. I do seem to remember that this has been a double set for several years now - a 6 car 185 on a relatively quiet service was always a novelty!

EltonRoad

I can now theblackwatch has posted where the PSUL web site is! (I was trying to find it to look up that train)

It's the 1715 SuX Kyle of Lochalsh to Elgin, which rather than running into Inverness station, takes the freight-only spur from Rose Street Junction to Welsh's Bridge Junction, and reverses in, prior to running out again on the Elgin service. Arrives Inv 1949, departs 1957.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Yep... I've got the book format of this - loads of random little things :D

I'm amazed the BLS still do it in book format, though I guess they have quite a lot of members who aren't internet connected (they even produced railtour booking forms using a typewriter!).

Tomnick

Established Member
I can now theblackwatch has posted where the PSUL web site is! (I was trying to find it to look up that train)

It's the 1715 SuX Kyle of Lochalsh to Elgin, which rather than running into Inverness station, takes the freight-only spur from Rose Street Junction to Welsh's Bridge Junction, and reverses in, prior to running out again on the Elgin service. Arrives Inv 1949, departs 1957.
Presumably (as well as maintaining a service over that spur), that move is to position it in the right part of the station to work forward to Elgin (no route towards Elgin or Aviemore from the Kyle/Wick platforms).

The issue with the shunt at Aberdeen is presumably that the train returns into the station under the authority of a shunt signal - that's not the end of the world though, as long as it's handled properly.

Aictos

Established Member
If it isnt going into a siding (it stays on the main line) why should all the passengers get off?

Because it is doing a shunt move that's what I've always been told, if I have a service arrive on Platform 2 and the signaller shunts it over to Platform 1 via the Up Hertford because the line needs to be cleared for example then all passengers would need to get off and then reboard.

However that is not always the case as I got a relief service home in early 2007 from Kings Cross due to the heavy winds causing major disruption and we ran wrong line for so far then had to reverse at some point with everyone on to regain the proper route.

Rich_D3167

The 3 Saturdays-only Sheffield - Cleethorpes (08:03, 12:00 & 16:00) & corresponding Cleethorpes - Sheffield (11:13, 15:21 & 19:13), both ways via Gainsborough Central & Brigg. Only passenger services to use the Wrawby Junction - Gainsborough Trent Junction line, although the line is open to freight Monday - Saturday.

Tomnick

Established Member
My Track Atlas suggests that it is possible to do this move via Platform 5 at Inverness.
It's not possible. There is a connection between the two parts of the station, but it's only suitable for a light loco - from memory, I don't think you'd get a two-car unit clear of the points. I believe the connection is worked from a ground frame and leads to a siding too.

bse35

There are only a few weekday services via the north curve to the Harwich line

leewoods60019

Now looking through National Rail a while ago - I did see Huddersfield - Church fenton service one train there none return. I haven never seen nor heard this service while at huddersfield

voyagerdude220

Established Member
There hasn't been a regular passenger service Clitheroe-Hellifield since the 1960s. It reopened Blackburn-Clitheroe in the 80s, and the track remains beyond for regular freight, and the Summer Wednesday steam Fellsman trains. :D

Also the Summer Sunday Dalesrail trains- 2 each way- between Blackpool North and Carlisle, stopping at Clitheroe and Hellifield along the way. ;)

Non-stopping Virgin Spring diversions between Preston and Carlisle also make an appearance when they close the WCML for engineering work.

mickey

I heard from a source (that I can't completely remember) that when Brough station was built, the Lord of the manor who owned the land specified that all trains had to call there, so perhaps this breaks an ancient by-law!

I was told the same about Knowle (near Solihull) but have never been able to work out whether it's just an urban myth. Certainly if it ever was true it's been abandoned now - though it would be nice to see the reaction in XC Voyager passengers if they did!

paul1609

Established Member
Can you elaborate, please?

Coming into Inverness on which line, from where? Then departing which way? And do you know any more about the time?

The last service from Kyle of Lochalsh does this (just after 17.00) it goes round the north side of the triangle before reversing in to inverness. It then goes forward to Elgin.
I've done it a couple of times on the way home from BUTEC.

I heard from a source (that I can't completely remember) that when Brough station was built, the Lord of the manor who owned the land specified that all trains had to call there, so perhaps this breaks an ancient by-law!

I was told the same about Knowle (near Solihull) but have never been able to work out whether it's just an urban myth. Certainly if it ever was true it's been abandoned now - though it would be nice to see the reaction in XC Voyager passengers if they did!

Yes, this was a fairly common way of winning round sceptical landlords, and at the time seemed preferable to paying higher prices for the land. A large number of stations-in-the-middle-of-nowhere and spurious loops in lines were built to mollify the local aristocrats. I think I'm right in saying that all of the rights awarded to landowners by railway companies in compensation for a new line cutting across their estates, were legally abolished by the Transport Act 1960.

Many of the rights were suspended during WWI anyway and there's only limited evidence of them being exercised after Grouping in 1923.

Last edited:

Established Member
There are a few services from Hexham to Newcastle each day that are just about always routed via the High Level Bridge and not the King Edward, even though they don't need to to access their platform. Most likely to keep route knowledge up in case the King Edward is shut.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Anything use p4 (the former through now a bay) at Hastings?

The early morning Gillingham (Kent) train-Sheerness is the only one to use the curve at Sittingbourne.

Are all the platforms at Hull and Bridlington and Scarborough in reg use ? :D :D

Thank you :D

Established Member
What about Clitheroe - Hellifield?
Didn't there used to be a direct service between them or was it merely "discussed"?

Thought this happened in summer (Sundays IIRC) with a train from Clitheroe to Carlisle or something similar.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are all the platforms at Hull and Bridlington and Scarborough in reg use ? :D :D

There are several platforms at Hull used for stabling (platform 1 and other platforms now numberless after the station was renumbered a few years ago), but I doubt these are passed for passenger workings anymore. Bridlington only has platforms 4, 5 and 6 in use now (although several of these no longer exist as they are now houses!), and I think all platforms are used at some point at Scarborough.

route101

Established Member
How about class 156s from strathbungo to polmadie , ive done that in the summer of 2005.

Anything use p4 (the former through now a bay) at Hastings?

The early morning Gillingham (Kent) train-Sheerness is the only one to use the curve at Sittingbourne.

Thank you :D
Not strictly true - the 2101 Sheerness - Gillingham (Kent) service uses the Western Junction curve as well.

CarterUSM

Established Member
How about class 156s from strathbungo to polmadie , ive done that in the summer of 2005.

Not a bad shout that, used as a diversionary route if things go tits up at muirhouse. Terminus curve from shields junction to polmadie is another one, but I cannot remember the last time a passenger service diverted that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.