• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rumour that Chiltern are going to lease class 68s to replace 67s (confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager 2093

I think the wisest thing to do in this case is just to wait and see how this one pans out. Too many hands pointing in too many different directions, which each claiming an official source.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunbird24

As of today Vossloh Espana have not announced any new locomotives this year. Currently the remaining class68s and Israel Railways 13xx orders are in progress and the first of the South African order for 70 locomotives are scheduled for delivery in Q2 2014. The DRS order included "further options for future orders". This is taken directly from their press releases but they do not give these out for every order.

class57basher

Also FGW eventually putting the class 68 on the Sleeper to replace the 57's. Apparently its part of the franchise committment to have nothing hauling the sleeper under 2 years old.

sorry my mistake when I was typing it and didn't realise even after re-reading it. should be as you guys have spotted over 2 years. Also likewise I assume the 2 years will be from the franchise start

So your saying the Chiltern 68s will be hired in from DRS? Or are they leasing direct from Beacon? I heard elsewhere that the Chiltern/ DB 68s werent going to be DRS examples. ie would be leased from some leasing company or another.

I am of the understanding that DRS/Beacon has the exclusive rights to the Class 68. The impression was made that DRS would be the only user of the Class 68 when asked about the total amount of locos that can be made under EU Regs. But it does sound odd doesnt it?

I think the wisest thing to do in this case is just to wait and see how this one pans out. Too many hands pointing in too many different directions, which each claiming an official source.

I agree. When I heard Chiltern were taking on the TPE Class 170/3s I thought that this might of killed off the "Silver set" service and the DRS deal. Time shall tell!

giblets

I wonder how significant the improvements the 68 has over the 67? it could herald a (small) increase in loco haulage over suitable routes.

Would be interesting to know, certainly the Wikipedia page insinuates it has a bit more power, and better than the rights and wrongs of posting information that has been overrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fgwrich

Established Member
Certainly doing the rounds around my way now as well.

There is now a copy of the forthcoming press release over on WNXX at the moment. The order is for 6 'Mainline' branded Locos to replace the 67s.

The press release also covers the maintenance issue, which indicates that they are at least being ordered via DRS & Beacon Rail.

"They will be serviced at Chiltern's Wembley and Stourbridge depots, with some heavy maintenance at DRS Crewe or Kingmoor"

Last edited:

Boothby97

Established Member
There is now a copy of the forthcoming press release over on WNXX at the moment. The order is for 6 'Mainline' branded Locos to replace the 67s.

The press release also covers the maintenance issue, which indicates that they are at least being ordered via DRS & Beacon Rail.

Apparently they will be hiring 68010-015 (six locomotives)

TDK

Established Member
Two years if we are being honest about things. It was a fairly open secret during your time at Chiltern.

It certainly was but at that time it was a rumour of course. Strange how someone will pick up a story and expand it as if they have inside information ;)

transmanche

Established Member
Just published today.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/west...-mainline-locomotives.html?news_section=19009

RAIL operator Chiltern Railways is investing £15m in the provision of six new locomotives for use on its Birmingham to London Marylebone services.

The move is part of a programme of continued investment in the Mainline route, which operates from Moor Street Station in Birmingham.

Chiltern will introduce the ‘Class 68s’ - the most up-to-date diesel locomotive available in Europe – for use with its entire Mainline silver train fleet.

A key aspect of the investment provides scope for future expansion due to superior haulage capability. This will allow Chiltern to increase train lengths should station platforms be extended at a later date.

Chiltern has so far invested £130m upgrading the Mainline route since its launch in 2011. The intention was to reduce journey times between Moor Street and Marylebone and make the service a viable competitor to the West Coast Mainline.

It offers free Wi-Fi on all trains between the two cities - the first train company to do so – and introduced a premium economy service, dubbed Business Zone, which aims to attract business users. In 2012 the company added capacity to the Mainline silver trains and refurbished the carriages to install powered doors. Last year it began a programme of refurbishment of the alternative Mainline trains and this will continue throughout 2014.

Rob Brighouse, managing director of Chiltern Railways said: “The introduction of new locomotives marks yet another key investment milestone for our Birmingham to London Marylebone route. Their addition not only updates our fleet with the most up-to-date diesel locomotives in the UK, it allows us to prepare for future expansion as demand for our line increases.”

The locos, which weigh around 85 tons each, have been supplied by Carlisle-based rail company Direct Rail Services (DRS) and are expected to be in operation during winter 2014.

DRS will be providing a full maintenance service to Chiltern Railways and assist in the commissioning of the engines prior to them being introduced for service.

Neil McNicholas, managing director of DRS said: “Working in partnership we are focused on delivering the highest possible standards to meet Chiltern’s long-term franchise requirements and providing exceptional service delivery to the customer.”

Aictos

Established Member
So can expect them in use for the December 2014 timetable change then judging by the Chiltern press release? What's going to happen to the existing Class 67s in use then surely they won't be sat around doing nothing in storage?

Monty

Established Member
If Chiltern are investing nearly £15 million, one would think that's nearly enough to purchase the locomotives outright rather than leasing them?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Im assuming that 68s match an appendix C braking curve then or they will have fun and games getting the clause in the sectional appendix for Class 67 to run at higher speeds sorted.

Class 170101

Established Member
Im assuming that 68s match an appendix C braking curve then or they will have fun and games getting the clause in the sectional appendix for Class 67 to run at higher speeds sorted.

Sorry but could you elaborate further what you mean please

The Planner

Veteran Member
There are three types of braking curves for signal spacing which in turn governs line speed (amongst other things). If the class 68 doesn't meet the criteria for the third one (appendix c) then I doubt it will be allowed to use the higher line speeds that the 67s are.

Class 170101

Established Member
There are three types of braking curves for signal spacing which in turn governs line speed (amongst other things). If the class 68 doesn't meet the criteria for the third one (appendix c) then I doubt it will be allowed to use the higher line speeds that the 67s are.

How likely would you think that would be that the 68 fails to meet the braking curve as described (and thanks for the explanation)?

jimm

Established Member
If Chiltern are investing nearly £15 million, one would think that's nearly enough to purchase the locomotives outright rather than leasing them?

Well it could always be a Branson/Virgin-style 'investment' - aka the train leasing company invests, Branson claims credit...

So much for DRS ordering more class 68s for Chiltern's needs...

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Soooo, just for the sake of amusement suppose there are five locomotives. They need naming, what would you call each of them?

Photohunter71

Well it could always be a Branson/Virgin-style 'investment' - aka the train leasing company invests, Branson claims credit...

So much for DRS ordering more class 68s for Chiltern's needs...

I thought the same,I was under the impression they could have purchased the locomotives outright. Yes,someone has been getting or is about to receive a massive backhander!:roll:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Could be that's it's the total cost of the contract to Chiltern across an extended period of time: Say 6 locos funded for five years for £15 million = £0.5 million per loco per year.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So can expect them in use for the December 2014 timetable change then judging by the Chiltern press release? What's going to happen to the existing Class 67s in use then surely they won't be sat around doing nothing in storage?

So Chiltern are committing to use an untried loco type still to be cleared to run on NR?
67s must be poor performers if they are going to be ditched in this way.
The lease renewal cost would be bargain basement as there is no other work for them.
And DB (Arriva) has maintenance facilites at LNWR Crewe but is not using them?
Very odd.

The Planner

Veteran Member
How likely would you think that would be that the 68 fails to meet the braking curve as described (and thanks for the explanation)?

I would be surprised to be honest, but there are a load of administrative and bureaucratic hoops to jump through first which tend never to be quick on the railway!

TDK

Established Member

Very unlikely however Planner may have a point as 67's have a huge brake force in comparison to any other loco due to it's 125mph running capabilities, I think it is 74 tons of brake force for a 90 ton loco. I actually did a brake test for WSMR prior to them starting their service and the brake curve with only 3 coaches in full service (not emergency) was better than a Voyager and well within the requirements for 110mph running (maximum speed for a DVT). If anyone has the stats on the brake force of the class 68 it would be interesting to compare.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would be surprised to be honest, but there are a load of administrative and bureaucratic hoops to jump through first which tend never to be quick on the railway!

I presume the class 68's will need to do the mandatory 1000 miles (or is it 1000 hours) testing prior to being released into traffic?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
A 67 is exempt from the additional light loco roles. You can do 125mph light loco where line speed permits.

Aictos

Established Member
So Chiltern are committing to use an untried loco type still to be cleared to run on NR?
67s must be poor performers if they are going to be ditched in this way.
The lease renewal cost would be bargain basement as there is no other work for them.
And DB (Arriva) has maintenance facilites at LNWR Crewe but is not using them?
Very odd.

The locos, which weigh around 85 tons each, have been supplied by Carlisle-based rail company Direct Rail Services (DRS) and are expected to be in operation during winter 2014

Kingsbury Jn.

Very unlikely however Planner may have a point as 67's have a huge brake force in comparison to any other loco due to it's 125mph running capabilities, I think it is 74 tons of brake force for a 90 ton loco. I actually did a brake test for WSMR prior to them starting their service and the brake curve with only 3 coaches in full service (not emergency) was better than a Voyager and well within the requirements for 110mph running (maximum speed for a DVT). If anyone has the stats on the brake force of the class 68 it would be interesting to compare.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I presume the class 68's will need to do the mandatory 1000 miles (or is it 1000 hours) testing prior to being released into traffic?

Class 68 - 65.2 tons braking force. http://www.railway-centre.com/class-68.html

Status
Not open for further replies.