• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

haggishunter

As others have said, there is suppressed demand where people are not using the train because of current over crowding and poor onboard experience, so an entire 2+5 HST fleet would be very welcome.

However for the benefits to be fully realised there has to be adequate luggage space and decent bike / sports equipment space too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
As others have said, there is suppressed demand where people are not using the train because of current over crowding and poor onboard experience, so an entire 2+5 HST fleet would be very welcome.

However for the benefits to be fully realised there has to be adequate luggage space and decent bike / sports equipment space too.
Would the addition of a TGS, with the former guard's office converted into a luggage/bike room, be able to fit that bill?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Hence why adding TGS vehicles in would be a good idea for the luggage/bike storage.

TRISTAR

I am not a massive rail enthusiast, but I have been keeping an eye on this thread of late because I wanted to gauge the chances of particular services being served by an HST for a journey I had to take to Keith, and as luck would have it I got a Classic HST set for my journey from Glasgow to Inverness. I just wanted to say from a normal passengers perspective the experience I had on this journey was far superior to anything I had experienced on this route in the past. I haven't tried a refurb set yet, but I look forward to the opportunity to do so when they are more common on the network. I normally commute up to Keith from Glasgow every week, but normally always drive (on this occasion I was flying from Aberdeen to London and then eventually on to Glasgow so I couldn't drive o my car would have been stranded) though if I was guaranteed a quicker more regular service with an HST on every service, I would ditch the car and take the train every time.

First post here, probably my last as well, but I just wanted to give the opinion of a rail user who sees this project as a massive improvement... although admittedly with a frustratingly tardy rollout. Well done Scotrail, but come on, get your finger out and get on with it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
First post here, probably my last as well, but I just wanted to give the opinion of a rail user who sees this project as a massive improvement... although admittedly with a frustratingly tardy rollout. Well done Scotrail, but come on, get your finger out and get on with it.

I think that echos the thoughts of most (not all) people, it's will be worth it but the delays are ridiculous and testing everyone's patience.

Another pair of power cars are on their way to loughborough for repaint/mods today. This will leave 4 PCs left to do which they may go into loughborough sometime in August

Tomorrow, their is an STP loughborough to Doncaster, which presumably are 43131/7 to form HA20

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Another pair of power cars are on their way to loughborough for repaint/mods today. This will leave 4 PCs left to do which they may go into loughborough sometime in August

Tomorrow, their is an STP loughborough to Doncaster, which presumably are 43131/7 to form HA20

If nothing else, at least they are getting through the power cars.

InOban

Established Member
Any eyewitness reports of the next set in the open at Doncaster? Usually appear at least two weeks before the actual delivery.

mikey9

You may not have been on a modern coach recently, they can be very comfortable and provide a relaxing environment.
Sorry - I disagree - at 6ft 4 I can't get comfortable on even a "modern coach" in airline seating styles. I would always choose a train with the potential opportunity of a table seat. I vote with my (admittedly huge) feet - on a regular basis and don't take the coach between Scotland's cities.
In addition - try the A82 to Fort William on a bus - which feels like an accident waiting to happen, clipped kerbs, claustrophobic, one dodgy loo, too hot typically and usually feeling pretty queasy by the destination.

Maxfly

Once those 4 PC's are done will there be some still requiring the reliability mods as discussed earlier in the thread? I assume the most recent PC's will have had them done while at Brush but the earlier ones will still require the mods?

On Moderation
Once those 4 PC's are done will there be some still requiring the reliability mods as discussed earlier in the thread? I assume the most recent PC's will have had them done while at Brush but the earlier ones will still require the mods?
I would expect the reliability mods will all be done on depot in Scotland. Putting them in as a variation to the Brush contract would be more costly.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looks like two refurbs on Glasgow-Aberdeens today:

Glasgow Queen St - Aberdeen: 05:53, 10:40, 11:39, 16:42, 17:40
Aberdeen - Glasgow Queen St: 07:35, 08:49, 13:48, 14:42, 19:43

59CosG95

Established Member

These are possibly the two diagrams from L'boro to Donny, however, neither has so far run.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H38069/2019/07/18/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00036/2019/07/18/advanced

GrimShady

Established Member
Which sounds rather like an excuse than a genuine reason. The Inergen fire bottles are in the power car van, but the system covers the engine room and clean air compartments, and not the cooler group, cab or van area. There is therefore a gap (cooler group) between the area covered and the van if they're worried about proximity to the fire extinguishant.

I'd like to see the risk assessment on that one.

Railperf

Established Member
What reliability mods are being carried out?

GrimShady

Established Member
Probably one reason why the arrangement is as it is, reducing the preserved risk even if it's actually very low.

Very low Vs nonexistent imo. If they're worried about fire suppression gases then the gangway should also be disconnected.

Maxfly

What reliability mods are being carried out?

Removal of all ATP equipment for one thing...

As highlandspring states, ATP removal is one. The list from the following link https://www.parliament.scot/S5_Rural/Meeting Papers/20190327_REC_Committee_-_Public_Papers.pdf gives-

• Compressor, main reservoir pipe, and brake pipe pressure switches renewal to solid state

type;

• Brake pipe pressure control unit renewal;

• Cab door lock renewal;

• Inter vehicle control jumper renewal;

• Power and trailer car batteries renewal;

• ATP (Automatic train protection) equipment removal and installation of original

speedometer and cabling;

• Power car bedplate drain connector renewal;

• Power car traction motor contractor renewal;

• Cab air con module upgrade

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Very low Vs nonexistent imo. If they're worried about fire suppression gases then the gangway should also be disconnected.

Probably not an issue with a door separating passengers.

As highlandspring states, ATP removal is one. The list from the following link https://www.parliament.scot/S5_Rural/Meeting Papers/20190327_REC_Committee_-_Public_Papers.pdf gives-

• Compressor, main reservoir pipe, and brake pipe pressure switches renewal to solid state

type;

• Brake pipe pressure control unit renewal;

• Cab door lock renewal;

• Inter vehicle control jumper renewal;

• Power and trailer car batteries renewal;

• ATP (Automatic train protection) equipment removal and installation of original

speedometer and cabling;

• Power car bedplate drain connector renewal;

• Power car traction motor contractor renewal;

• Cab air con module upgrade

Considering the age of them, that's not an awful long list, but presumably it will take some time.

Highland37

Established Member
I'd like to see the risk assessment on that one.

The risk is much lower than the danger presented by luggage all over a 170, aisles and doors blocked and staff unable to move through the train.

It is quite frankly incredible, that after 40 years of service on a much busier line where bikes are in the power car, Scotrail seem to find it acceptable to provide less bikes spaces on HSTs...

Status
Not open for further replies.