TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by sprinterguy, 11 Mar 2017.

1. 47802

47802 On Moderation

There's a few things I could say to the above but I'm not going to bother as they are not particularly relevant to this thread.

Clearly these trains could be considered an alternative to the HST Short Sets for Scotrail, and Wales if you believe the rumours, what will be interesting is to see which proves the most reliable, the new train with single engine point of failure, or the modernised very old train without the single engine point of failure. It would also be interesting to know how the overall costs of each compare as well.

The one thing you can say is that in terms of basic kerbside appeal is these trains make HST's look like something out of the Arc.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2018
  2. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

It's difficult to see inside, but if those are seats they look very high and not particularly well aligned.
    If not, then the vehicles are incomplete.
    Presumably there is test equipment involved for Velim.

3. BMIFlyer

BMIFlyer Member

29101647_10155123375357714_7801664529607163904_o.jpg 29101176_10155123375312714_7362065646084947968_o.jpg

4. 47802

47802 On Moderation

Of course can you really take much notice of those, the original Northern CAF Unit Pic's/Video had some really nice looking seats which have since transformed in Ironing Boards

5. BMIFlyer

BMIFlyer Member

Having seen the real seats in person, and sat on 2 of them, I can assure you that they are not that much different to the illustration, oh and they are comfy! :D

6. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Good, considering the seats that have gone onto recently constructed trains, it makes a pleasant change to hear that comfortable seats are not a thing of the past! :smile:

7. stepho

stepho New Member

Very much so, look great although I feel that these are probably a coach too short from the outset.

Not too sure what routes these are working, and I’m far from a fan of doors at thirds, but the current stock allows for a large number of standing passengers, the doors at thirds also encourages people to move down inside the train and allows ease of movement that end doors do not.

8. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Funnily enough the stock ordered at the beginning of the franchise reflects what the franchise agreement says, and the expected infrastructure possibilities at that time. I for one think this is a very good solution to that requirement.

From memory I have a feeling it only talks about the franchisee's rolling stock solutions taking account of the future possibility of electrification.

9. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

The 88's have almost as much power as a 390 and the trailers were specified to be 125mph capable, though the likelihood of seeing the locomotives upgraded for 110/125mph running is probably lessened if there is significant semi-high speed stock ordered for NPR.

10. BeHereNow

BeHereNow Member

As others have said they look great, the colour scheme is fantastic. A bit worried about the door width though.

11. hexagon789

Presumably it must meet the requirements on those and it looks very similar in design to those on a Voyager, but from the photos I agree it doesn't look all that wide. Maybe a trick of the light?

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I guess it's just because people are more familiar with double doors. I can't say these look any different to the doors on a 444 from the same sort of angle.

13. hexagon789

I'm intrigued as to how the door width would compare with Mk4 coaching stock, the best comparison I can think of.

14. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I'd expect a bit wider. But it can't be narrower than a typical electric wheelchair in any case.

15. Goldie

Goldie Member

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

17. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Lovely livery that, will the other "Viva" trains get the same design?

18. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nova?

19. corsaVXR

corsaVXR Member

they look good - shame they don't have the tidier / panelled underbodies like a mark 3/4/class 390/800 etc

20. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

They may be fitted later but I can't remember if they are intended to have them or not off the top of my head.

21. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I think you might have meant “Nova”?

22. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Yes sorry, I was getting my Vauxhall cars muddled up (reference the other thread :D)

23. Alan2603

Alan2603 Member

If it is not a daft question, what are those white panels beneath the 3rd and 4th windows of the carriages?

It does rather spoil the overall effect of what is a very nice looking train.

Thanks

Alan

24. James James

James James Member

25. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Funny

26. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

Could be vents that if they're removed might damage the finish, so they're waiting for the testing to be over before finishing them.

27. FQTV

FQTV Member

I’d actually also wondered about the panels above, eg, the first saloon windows, which look much larger and clumsier than they need to be for the door status lights. Likewise the box sitting on top of the DVT cab, which lacks any faring at all.

Overall, though, a handsome looking train and livery.

I was on a refurbished 185 at the weekend, too. If anyone from that project has had a hand in the Mk5 interiors, then they should be very smart and comfortable places to be, I think.

28. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

The bodyside one is a little curious. My first guess would be carriage letter, which would be better than the paper letters 158s have, but as the Mk5s are going to be in fixed rakes that woudn't be much of an issue for them anyway. The Sleeper ones also seem to have it, but it's at waist level, like what I assume to be the destination screens. I'm assuming the one on the end is destination. It is behind a clear streamlined panel, I think it might be just a trick of the light which makes it appear not to be.

29. BMIFlyer

BMIFlyer Member

HVAC (Air conditioning / heating) vents. The HVAC is underfloor mounted for the saloons, but in the roof for the cab.

Small screens are for coach letters (A,B,C,D,E from DSO to 1st class in that order - 1st class always next to loco).
    Large screens are the destination panels.
    Door status lights are in the centre of each vehicle.

30. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Those vents look as if they're being highlighted by the sunlight in that photo, and won't seem as prominent all the time.

Regarding the formations which will obviously be pretty-much fixed, will there be provision for the 68 to run round and haul from the DTSO end if needs must? Whilst i appreciate that running round in the peak at Lime Street is unlikely, I've been on enough 91+mk4 sets that have departed correctly formed but had the loco switched to the front before Kings Cross, that it seems like something that might come in useful.