• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield Kirkgate refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Hello,

Does anyone know what work is being done at the east end of the island platform (2/3)? Temporary fencing up, diggers etc on the platform.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

electra27000

Hello,

Does anyone know what work is being done at the east end of the island platform (2/3)? Temporary fencing up, diggers etc on the platform.

Demolition? That end of platform 2/3 are fenced off and never used, anyway.

wbbminerals

Demolition? That end of platform 2/3 are fenced off and never used, anyway.

The canopy (from Lancashire & Yorkshire days, allegedly) is being removed along with the spine wall. I highly doubt that the platforms will be shortened though, as their length may prove useful in the future. ;)

Established Member
Thought GC were planning on putting a ticket office in, or at least there was talk of it a while back.

electra27000

The canopy (from Lancashire & Yorkshire days, allegedly) is being removed along with the spine wall.

That sounds about right. Don't refurbish it and use it to shelter passengers...sorry, customers, from the rain. Knock it down and replace it with another bus shelter... :roll:

AndyHudds

Thought GC were planning on putting a ticket office in, or at least there was talk of it a while back.

I had heard that too, that there was going to be a staffed ticket office but can't find any info to back that up.

Established Member
I had heard that too, that there was going to be a staffed ticket office but can't find any info to back that up.

Last I heard was a company (might have been some sort of charity or community group) wanted to buy the main buildings and do it up, and I assume that is where GC would have the booking office). Haven't heard anything since.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
A group called Groundwork ( I think) are doing it up. Think it will have public space / rooms for use and I am sure I heard that it will have shop / retail facility that can sell tickets.

About bl**dy time - it has been an unsavoury, unwelcoming station for years. At night-time, I would think twice about being there at the moment.

Sorry - just read the article above in the link - it says much of this!

wbbminerals

That sounds about right. Don't refurbish it and use it to shelter passengers...sorry, customers, from the rain. Knock it down and replace it with another bus shelter... :roll:

I agree with you, the canopies could be very nice if a little cash was spent on them... that's not going to happen unfortunately. However it is good that the station is finally being redeveloped after years of neglect.

Lampshade

Established Member
If the budget was unlimited, I'd liked to have seen the subway closed and replaced with an accessible bridge a la Buckshaw Parkway.

AndyHudds

If the budget was unlimited, I'd liked to have seen the subway closed and replaced with an accessible bridge a la Buckshaw Parkway.

I agree it stinks like a public toilet and its an awful station on night, even I have to think twice before using after dusk!!!

ashworth

Established Member
Even though the through service to Nottingham departs from Kirkgate I won't use it at night, but would rather use Westgate and change at Sheffield. It isn't just the station but the area immediately around it leading up to the entrance that also feels unsafe.

Waverley125

Kirkgate is definitely in need of a huge refurb, in terms of more than just the on-platform environment. It really needs the demolition of a large amount of the fairly run down council estate to the north for a new station carpark, and the easing of pedestrian access into central Wakefield.

Given the lines it's position on, I'd hope it would eventually see a good level of service. If you take that it's on the Leeds-Sheffield via Barnsley, & Huddersfield-Knottingley/Castleford lines, it should have a better level of service than presently.

34D

Established Member
It really needs the demolition of a large amount of the fairly run down council estate to the north for a new station carpark, and the easing of pedestrian access into central Wakefield.

I'm sure the families who live there would like to see your home demolished too.

Having young children, Kirkgate is the station of choice for visiting Wakefield as it is step-free. A staff presence would be nice though.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
How about one of those lightweight (and therefore fairly low cost) station roofs made of ETFE film?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Something to challenge the local 'yoof' - to see how quickly they can wreck it - you mean ;)

Well if it starts three metres above platform level or the like, I think even the local yobs would have a hard time doing significant damage to it, especially since it can be repaired with a patch of ETFE film and a heat gun.

ashworth

Established Member
Why has this thread been moved from NR General Discussion to Traction and Rolling Stock when surely, if it must really did need moving, it should have been moved to Infrastructure?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why has this thread been moved from NR General Discussion to Traction and Rolling Stock when surely, if it must really did need moving, it should have been moved to Infrastructure?
I can only assume it was a mistake by a moderator! Sorry about that. I have moved it to Infrastructure.

Please, if anyone has a message for the moderation team use the report button. The
report.gif
button appears on the bottom-left of posts. (or the Contact Us form which is at the bottom of each , it's not relating to a particular post/thread)

This is because, with around 1,500+ posts per day, the moderators cannot read all posts, as much as we'd like to, we can realistically only read a small proportion of them.

The only reason I am aware of this issue is someone reported it.

We do appreciate all reports, whether it's because a thread is in the wrong place, a post is inappropriate, for any breach of our rules, or if you have any other concerns.

tom1649

I've noticed that work has started on the (long overdue) refurbishment of this station. Is it still planned to reopen the booking office? If not, is it planned to renovate the station building for other use?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's planned to be a community centre sort of set up I think, with (human) ticket issuing facilities too.

9K43

All the trains that use Kirkgate are Pay on the train.
The booking office was closed in the early 1980's
The best part about kirkgate was we got 1.5hrs Travelling time to sign on at this location, 4 hours for Leeds City, 3 hours for Huddersfield/ Bradford.
Due to sickness at Huddersfield, I was sent take the place of the sick guard and had 6 weeks signing on plus 3 hours travelling time to boot for every day I was there.
Money most welcome in my pocket.

This happened in the summer of 1982.

tom1649

Thanks for the information. I'd always wondered when the booking office closed. It's such a shame that the buildings were then left to rot. It would be interesting to see inside, I wonder if any old equipment was left lying around.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Just passed through Wakefield Kirkgate and not seeing much going off now - is that it ? £2M ? Doesn't seem finished, but signs are up as though it is... Anyone know for sure ?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think Groundwork will be refurbishing the actual station building as well (which hasn't really been touched yet). Also, I've heard talk of a footbridge.

I will be a bit dissappointed if there isn't a bit more cover provided for the island platform though.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Nope it is not finished, i do unfortunately believe that that is it for the Island and that no more cover will be provided.

I believe some media from Network Rail for Wakefield Kirkgate recently stated they look forward to continuing the work over the next few years. The main building is to be fully refurbed i believe possibly with a cafe as part of a wider community project.

Does anyone have any details on whether the station will be staffed?

Feel a station of that size which could soon see more services should have more.

Status
Not open for further replies.