• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield Kirkgate refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Well a couple of months ago I went from Denby Dale to Huddersfield p4.... But you're right that p8 isn't accessible from that line.

Re Huddersfield, could an Adelante fit its first 3 coaches into platform 6, and the rest of it foul the p5 line but not p4 or p8 lines? I think it probably could, though would doubtless cause issues with overlaps and signal sighting.

I had thought I'd seen a crossover to get to/from p4 and the Penistone Line :)

As for p6, I doubt it, for two reasons.
1. The train would be miles in front of the signal (and possibly in a situation of activating the next track circuit)
2. The two bays have derailers on them, so I suspect fouling the end of the line would foul up about 3/4 of Huddersfield station!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Very fair comments. I'm surprised actually that there is no facility to reverse in plats 1 or 8. There isn't even a facility to do an OOS shunt.

Just in case Quail is wrong, could someone double-check the location of the trailing crossover at the east end at some point? Seems to have no purpose otherwise.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
By town population, only Walsall is larger and has no direct service. The rest (over 100,000 residents) are: Middlesbrough, Blackpool, Bolton, Telford, Rotherham, Sutton Coldfield, Blackburn, Oldham and St Helens.

You would be hard pressed to find any opportunity these days to see a direct Oldham to London service, now that any heavy rail service possibilities for such has been terminated by the conversion of these to the light rail Manchester Metrolink system.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You would be hard pressed to find any opportunity these days to see a direct Oldham to London service, now that any heavy rail service possibilities for such has been terminated by the conversion of these to the light rail Manchester Metrolink system.

Indeed, I put it in for completeness more than anything. Of course there is still Greenfield and Mills Hill (I think) within its metropolitan borough, so not all hope is lost in one sense ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Mention Greenfield, and those Yorkshire folk on the other side of the tunnel at Marsden will also jealously want such a service...but with regard to Mills Hill (famous for being something of a record holder of the longest time period between closing then reopening), you have more chance of seeing London services running from a reopened station at Daisyfield in your own environs than of such a service ever running from Mills Hill railway station..:D:D

Crossover

Established Member
Very fair comments. I'm surprised actually that there is no facility to reverse in plats 1 or 8. There isn't even a facility to do an OOS shunt.

Just in case Quail is wrong, could someone double-check the location of the trailing crossover at the east end at some point? Seems to have no purpose otherwise.

The only crossover at the Dewsbury (East?) end of platform 1 is to get trains off the "main" line and into platforms 4, 6 and 7

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please can all requests to moderators be sent using the report (
report.gif
) button, or by by contacting us (as appropriate), otherwise we may not see the message. Thanks.

(Is it possible that a mod could consider splitting this Huddersfield discussion into a separate thread?)
I've looked into this. It would be very time consuming, and also tricky as the thread drifts slowly, with some posts referring to both these issues. I have, therefore, renamed the thread instead.

Tomnick

Established Member

Entirely from memory, and inevitably clouded by visiting various pubs, I think there's a shunt move east from P1, wrong direction towards a limit of shunt indicator. I don't know whether there's a similar move west from P8 (and P4) into the tunnel, but I've a vague feeling that there is.

Crossover

Established Member
Entirely from memory, and inevitably clouded by visiting various pubs, I think there's a shunt move east from P1, wrong direction towards a limit of shunt indicator. I don't know whether there's a similar move west from P8 (and P4) into the tunnel, but I've a vague feeling that there is.

That would make sense.

That being said, if the need arose, then maybe something like what has been done at Banbury with extra signalling added may not be entirely out of the question

Tomnick

Established Member
That being said, if the need arose, then maybe something like what has been done at Banbury with extra signalling added may not be entirely out of the question
The previous edition of Quail looks more accurate - if I'm not mistaken, there's physically no route available from P1 towards the Down Main, only towards the LOS on the Up Main - so it'd need an additional trailing crossover as well as new signals!

Crossover

Established Member
The previous edition of Quail looks more accurate - if I'm not mistaken, there's physically no route available from P1 towards the Down Main, only towards the LOS on the Up Main - so it'd need an additional trailing crossover as well as new signals!

I believe that would be the case. The layout of the infrastructure isn't currently overly useful for anything that isn't the norm

34D

Established Member
A signalled wrong line move to Bradley junction (from p1 at HUD to the crossover at Bradley. Junction) would be one way of achieving that, and could be of use for the (frequent) occasions that Standedge Tunnel is closed and trains call HUD then go through Hebden Bridge.

Tomnick

Established Member
I suspect that the increased platform capacity for turning trains back (or terminating them from the east) would be far more than offset by the loss of capacity caused by anything using such a bang-road move!

34D

Established Member
I suspect that the increased platform capacity for turning trains back (or terminating them from the east) would be far more than offset by the loss of capacity caused by anything using such a bang-road move!

Yes, but if during engineering works when (usually) two TPE trains per hour each way reverse in Hud, having both roads Bradley Junction-Hud bidi should increase capacity overall. Doubt it would ever happen though.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Having not ventured down to the poorer relation of Wakefield's stations recently, does anyone know what's happening with the regeneration of Kirkgate station, or is it still 'pipe dreams'?

noddingdonkey

Back in the Arriva days there was, according to the station information posters at various places, a Station Supervisor with the misfortune to be based at Kirkgate, who was responsible for a number of smaller stations in the area.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Whenever i have been recently the ticket office was open... with a northern rail staff member inside.

There's a working ticket office in there :o

It's mainly Sunday's I've seen it recently, so that may have explained why the building has looked unchanged.

Mugby

Established Member
Are any associated works being carried out in the non-rail buildings that are very near to the station, as I assumed the whole area itself was to be subject to "betterment" (for lack of a more appropriate term) ?

I doubt if anyone would take on the burnt out pub which is just outside the station. It would be wonderful to see Kirkgate restored to something like it's former glory, it's a great pity though that that end of town is something of a dead area nowadays.

Haydn1971

Established Member
I'm aware of big aspirations for regenerating the area fronting Kirkgate, including finishing the emerald route/ring whatever, getting rid of the 70's style roundabout and old council office, open the frontage up to the station - it's a long term aspiration but there never the less. Look at how the Westgate area is transforming, think similar at Kirkgate.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm aware of big aspirations for regenerating the area fronting Kirkgate, including finishing the emerald route/ring whatever, getting rid of the 70's style roundabout and old council office, open the frontage up to the station - it's a long term aspiration but there never the less. Look at how the Westgate area is transforming, think similar at Kirkgate.

I am glad that you made this posting, as it confirms what I was aware of when I made my recent posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.