• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers' bad habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernowfem

I always look at rush hour crush.....just in case!!

Be very careful next time you pick up a metro.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I see your Cream Cheese & Chive Pringles, and raise you the girl who sat next to me a couple of days ago and promptly opened a sharer bag of Cheesy Doritos.

(She didn't share them)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I thought that was on the floor? Was it on the seat? Jesus.

That was the info I heard. Either way it makes me feel slightly ill :?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Be very careful next time you pick up a metro.

I would have thought most people expect Metro to be full of crap anyway.

I don't even pick up a copy now (not that I travel daily anymore) but occasionally see the website, mostly when clicking on a link, and it's clickbait central. Total, utter, dross.

I assume the paper still takes stories from the Daily Mail and posts them days later, presumably as easy fillers when they haven't got anything else to go in?

I'm amazed people pick up a copy at all now, rather than just use their smartphone (perhaps only because people don't want their superslim smartphone battery to be down to 60% before they even walk into their office!).

Kernowfem

I would have thought most people expect Metro to be full of crap anyway.

I don't even pick up a copy now (not that I travel daily anymore) but occasionally see the website, mostly when clicking on a link, and it's clickbait central. Total, utter, dross.

I assume the paper still takes stories from the Daily Mail and posts them days later, presumably as easy fillers when they haven't got anything else to go in?

I'm amazed people pick up a copy at all now, rather than just use their smartphone (perhaps only because people don't want their superslim smartphone battery to be down to 60% before they even walk into their office!).

I'm familiar with it through Twitter. Although occasionally I leaf through one if I chance upon one and I'm out of decent reading material. I drive everywhere these days so it doesn't happen often. As for the mail, I'm saying nothing ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see your Cream Cheese & Chive Pringles, and raise you the girl who sat next to me a couple of days ago and promptly opened a sharer bag of Cheesy Doritos.

:lol: Does anybody actually share a 'sharer' portion?

Fortunately I've yet to experience the full blast of the cheesy dorito, but when I do, it will no doubt be nauseating!

Why can't people buy food that smells good, such as chicken madras?

Minilad

Established Member
:lol: Does anybody actually share a 'sharer' portion?

Fortunately I've yet to experience the full blast of the cheesy dorito, but when I do, it will no doubt be nauseating!

Why can't people buy food that smells good, such as chicken madras?

If anyone was sitting behind me eating a madras, or any other curry, they would be given two options. Leave the train or wear the curry

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If anyone was sitting behind me eating a madras, or any other curry, they would be given two options. Leave the train or wear the curry

Since there is no rule against eating a curry on the train, wouldn't it be for you to find an alternative seat?

Minilad

Established Member
Since there is no rule against eating a curry on the train, wouldn't it be for you to find an alternative seat?

I could sit in the second mans seat I guess. But don't think the train would be going too far if I did ;)

Surely there is some by-law against causing discomfort or some such wibble

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I could sit in the second mans seat I guess. But don't think the train would be going too far if I did ;)

Surely there is some by-law against causing discomfort or some such wibble

If the person eating the curry were in the second man's seat, I'm sure there'd be plenty of rules to get rid of him ;)

But to be fair, if he were in the passenger compartment, I doubt the smell would get past the door to the front on most trains!

Minilad

Established Member
If the person eating the curry were in the second man's seat, I'm sure there'd be plenty of rules to get rid of him ;)

But to be fair, if he were in the passenger compartment, I doubt the smell would get past the door to the front on most trains!

You doubt very wrong then. On the traction I drive it is very easy to smell things from behind the door. And hear!!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You doubt very wrong then. On the traction I drive it is very easy to smell things from behind the door. And hear!!

Ah well. It seems the only way to solve this is to bring back sliding ventilators and drop-lights then :D

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My list is:

No feet on the seats
No mobile phone conversations
No playing music without headphones
No music loud on headphones so I can hear it
No screaming kids
No smelly food
No passengers with personal hygiene problems
No bags/luggage/coats on seats
No standard class passengers walking through the 1st class so they can get off at the barriers
No standard class passengers standing in the 1st class vestibules
No standard class passengers sitting in 1st class because they think they can get away with it
No standard class passengers sitting in 1st class because the standard class is full they think they can upgrade themselves
No drunks
No football fans

Come to think of it, no other passengers on the train but me <D

DownSouth

Established Member
My list is:

No feet on the seats
No mobile phone conversations
No playing music without headphones
No music loud on headphones so I can hear it
No screaming kids
No smelly food
No passengers with personal hygiene problems
No bags/luggage/coats on seats
No standard class passengers walking through the 1st class so they can get off at the barriers
No standard class passengers standing in the 1st class vestibules
No standard class passengers sitting in 1st class because they think they can get away with it
No standard class passengers sitting in 1st class because the standard class is full they think they can upgrade themselves
No drunks
No football fans

Come to think of it, no other passengers on the train but me <D
There's a very special new type of carriage you might be interested in using instead of the 'conventional' rail carriages which you seem to find unaffordable for private use. Some of the advantages are:
  • a smaller number of seats allowing for more privacy
  • affordability for the average person to consider using one as an owner-operator without the need to carry other passengers
  • access to a large network of routes
  • pneumatic rubber tyres for a comfortable ride on the sections of said network which are not maintained well
  • an ingenuous wheel-based control system allowing the user to pick which route to use instead of relying on turnouts controlled by signallers
  • adaptable for both passenger and light freight usage

TheNewNo2

A couple....erm....enjoying each others company in full view of everyone!

I was lazy one night and got the DLR home from the cinema. I got on at West India Quay and there was a couple kissing. When I alighted at South Quay they had yet to come up for air.

trainophile

Established Member
I used two different toilets on ATW trains today, and both of them were gross until I flushed before using them myself. Nothing wrong with the flushing mechanism, and no signage about not flushing while in a station, so no excuse except laziness or just being inconsiderate.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There is a rather large fellow - working man - baseball cap - who frequents a train from Farringdon of an evening - who consumes a snack of 2 packaged sandwiches and a drink with much grunting , open mouth chewing and sighing. Odd other noise as well.

Judging by the eye rolling from other commuters this does not go down well. As he is a creature of habit - first coach - easily avoided. However, some people have no concept of acceptable behaviour.......gross ...

Bodiddly

My most recent one was on a train between Leeds and Preston. A guy got on at Bradford and sat across the aisle from me. Out of the bag comes a box containing a very strong smelling curry. He scoffs the curry down oblivious to the reek filling the carriage. Then he gets on the mobile to talk absolute drivel so loud everybody cannot help but hear it. It sounded like a conversation about how great he was and how he was single handedly running the company. Let's just say client confidentiality was somewhat breached! I couldn't help thinking if he popped his shoes off I could have got the hat trick! Some people really couldn't care less for other people.

Senex

Established Member
Then he gets on the mobile to talk absolute drivel so loud everybody cannot help but hear it. It sounded like a conversation about how great he was and how he was single handedly running the company. Let's just say client confidentiality was somewhat breached!

Sounds like a case for putting your own phone into recorder mode and sending the result to his employers.

Railsigns

Established Member
I had also been subject to having to overhear two people talking on their mobiles for at least 20 minutes on a previous train about unimportant subjects.

What other bad habits annoy you?

Anyone who thinks it's okay to subject other passengers to the same text alert over and over and over and over and over and over again, especially that five-note whistle one.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
My most recent one was on a train between Leeds and Preston. A guy got on at Bradford and sat across the aisle from me. Out of the bag comes a box containing a very strong smelling curry. He scoffs the curry down oblivious to the reek filling the carriage. Then he gets on the mobile to talk absolute drivel so loud everybody cannot help but hear it. It sounded like a conversation about how great he was and how he was single handedly running the company. Let's just say client confidentiality was somewhat breached! I couldn't help thinking if he popped his shoes off I could have got the hat trick! Some people really couldn't care less for other people.

Perhaps the guy with the curry did get a bit of payback the next morning if it was a hot one!

Bodiddly

Anyone who thinks it's okay to subject other passengers to the same text alert over and over and over and over and over and over again, especially that five-note whistle one.

That particular one drives me insane! The other annoying one is the CHOO! CHOO! <(

Established Member
Regarding text alerts, I was once on a Pendolino and a bloke nearby had a scene from Pulp Fiction as his.
It was the bit from 0.22 - 0.30 here (Warning contains bad language!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoBomvuYnw

It was at full volume as well!
It went off numerous times between Glasgow and Carlisle.
Precisely nobody was impressed.

As for toilets, I'm reminded of this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEv6dqVPLSM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.