• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohemian

Myth: 29
The facelift they are giving Birmingham New Street station is really going to work. I don't know if any of you have seen the 'improved' look on Platform 1 yet?

:|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Myth 32: Train companies want to cancel trains, and face the financial penalties (not to mention hundreds of irate passengers).
Myth 33: It's better to cancel a train than run it with fewer carriages (some people genuinely believe this!)

12CSVT

Established Member
Myth 8: The loco involved in The Great Train Robbery was the one written off in the nuclear flask test crash

Apart from having the same number of wheels there's a huge difference between a class 40 and a class 46.

wintonian

Established Member
Myth 34: You can save (up to) 43% by buying on thetrainline.com. :roll:

Myth 35: Rail tickets are cheaper online than at stations.

Myth 36: The ticketing structure has been simplified.

Lampshade

Established Member
Myth 38: Fare evasion costs the industry £200 million per year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Myth 39: You can't use a 16-25 Railcard before 10am.

Bohemian

Myth: 40
The London Midland route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Great Malvern and beyond using Class 150 rolling stock isn't a third class service.

:roll:

Lampshade

Established Member
Myth: 40
The London Midland route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Great Malvern and beyond using Class 150 rolling stock isn't a third class service.

:roll:

Erm... have you ever travelled with Northern? If the LM route using 150s is third class, what's Manchester Vic - Wigan via Atherton on a 142?

Last edited by a moderator:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Erm... have you ever travelled with Northern? If the LM route using 150s is third class, what's Manchester Vic - Wigan via Atherton on a 142?

I am sure you will agree that most of the rest of the North West has poor stock too: Middlesbrough-Whitby, Colne-Preston or Southport-Chester on a 142 anyone. The North needs 150s as the next step up: if I see 150s on the 0740 CYT-PRE tomorrow, I'll be happy!

EltonRoad

Myth 41: the Cambridge Guided Busway is a better alternative to re-opening the line to St Ives.

starrymarkb

Established Member
That's true! Along with the seat layout and narrow 'fuselage'. Otherwise, why does the APT (which also tilted) feel more spacious and has proper-sized windows? :D

Explain the huge Voyager Windows then. It's acutally down to the structure Alstom use for the Pendolino, if you look at European Pendos (eg ETR-470) then you'll see that they have similar sized windows.

Striker

Explain the huge Voyager Windows then. It's acutally down to the structure Alstom use for the Pendolino, if you look at European Pendos (eg ETR-470) then you'll see that they have similar sized windows.

Actually.....oh forget it.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've known that to be a 156, miracles can happen :)

Indeed it does, last time I was on one of them on the 0740 I meant to go to derby and ended up in Dundee. 156s did seem to get rifer for a time about 18 months ago, now it appears about 80% 142, 10% 150 and 5% 156 operation. ELCRP are pressing for 150s to be the permanent stock, and the ones that Northern have done up are nice, so we'll see...

Railway Myth Number <insert number here>: If WSMR etc took over certain routes, they would automatically be operated by Mk2 stock etc...

Striker

Way to go. What started out as an interesting idea for a thread revealing some fascinating misconceptions, has turned into a thread for people just to have a general moan about anything from people to making political comments.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Myth 44 New trains are always more comfortable, reliable and generally better than what they replace.

Myth 45 There were no route enhancements, line re-openings, rolling stock replacements or other investments in the railway before privatisation.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Myth 44 New trains are always more comfortable, reliable and generally better than what they replace.

Myth 45 There were no route enhancements, line re-openings, rolling stock replacements or other investments in the railway before privatisation.

Myth 46: Everything was better in "the good old days" ;) (Not just confined to railways either)

Striker

Railway staff are grumpy. Food served on trains is poor. Blah, blah, blah.....

These aren't myths. These are people mentioning stereotypes and general preconceptions. A myth is the one about the Pendolinos or Stockport station.
<(

Legzr1

The customer is always right.

Has to be a 'myth' as it's often quoted yet some threads on here beg to differ...

Status
Not open for further replies.