• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations where all (or most) trains call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I cant think of anything that passes through Birmingham Moor Street or Snow Hill without stopping. Leamington Spa and Banbury used to have everything stop until earlier this year, the September timetable change saw a couple of trains a day run non stop between Warwick Parkway and London Marylebone.

I would imagine everything calls at Bedworth too, doesnt it?

Also Aylesbury, though 90% of the trains which pass through the station terminate there. I think Stoke Mandeville, Wendover and Great Missenden have every train stop there too. The other met line stations with mainline services definitely dont.

Minilad

Established Member
Coleshill Parkway ?
I know there are a few on diversion down the slow lines that don't stop but I think everything on the core route, Birmingham - Nuneaton, does

nlogax

Established Member
but in the Old Days, paradoxically, Southampton Airport was the only station between Surbiton & Bournemouth that the Waterloo-Bounrnemouth stoopers didn't call at; the only ones that did were the semi-fasts.

And I recall it was in the (slightly more recent) old days that there was an hourly Poole <> London service which ran fast between Southampton Parkway and Waterloo. This was introduced around the times of the 442s replacing 2x73s + 4TCs. My memory is a bit rusty, but wasn't it advertised as a 59 minute service between Parkway and Waterloo?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Newport > Cardiff run (and vice versa) must be one of the most well-served local connections in the UK.
I am not so sure. Off-peak there are on average 7tph but gaps in service can be over 20 Min (e.g. between 14.31 and 14.52 departures).

10tph exist between Birmingham and Wolverhampton (off-peak) with the longest gap being 12 Min. There are 9tph between Birmingham and Birmingham Int (off-peak) with a gap of up to 17 Min.

trc666

RE the Salisbury accident, all trains in the current timetable (both FGW and SWT) are booked to call there, but occasionally when HSTs have been diverted to run to London Waterloo via Andover and Basingstoke they have run through non stop.

Scotty

Every passenger train calls at Barnetby, which considering the size of the village, is quite impressive. 1TPH Cleethorpes - Manchester Airport, 1TP2H Grimsby Town - Lincoln/Newark Northgate, & 3 Saturday-only Cleethorpes - Sheffield via Gainsborough Central. It is labelled as the station for Humberside Airport, but considering it's nearly 4 miles away from it, it isn't of much benefit!

Closer than every other one though!

trc666

Lowland Sleeper has an unbooked stop at Preston (as in passengers can't board or alight) for a crew change doesn't it? It did when I did it back in April (seated).

marks87

Established Member
Lowland Sleeper has an unbooked stop at Preston (as in passengers can't board or alight) for a crew change doesn't it? It did when I did it back in April (seated).
I suppose it depends on your definition of "stop".

Crossover

Established Member
With the demise of the W&SR, I think Coventry must have all, or nearly all, trains stop?

Likewise with Birmingham International, apart from the Birmingham headliner mentioned earlier

Wellington. Although it has a loop. Incidentally, does any train actually use the track straight through? I wonder why the loop is there, because just about every train seems to stop at Wellington. Except a couple of W&S occasionally didn't (anyone know why)?

As The Planner mentioned, probably just the freights from the nearby branch line heading to Shrewsbury (or from). I was there visiting someone a few months back and did think to myself it is a rather oversized station for what it actually serves!

Also, in the same region, I think Telford gets all trains calling too.

What about Birmingham New Street, belive all services stop there

On the whole I think you may be right. Naturally, in the not so distant past there were a few non stop WSMR services but obviously no longer

don't think there are any trains pass through Wolverhampton without stopping anymore. There used to be an XC Birmingham-Manchester that didn't.

Would say this sounds about right, though there may be something I don't know about.

MK Tom

Established Member
I don't really have time to go through all five pages but has anyone mentioned Northampton? Excluding VT diversions of course...

MK Tom

Established Member
Don't think a crew change is necessary... passengers being allowed on or off probably is though :p

marks87

Established Member
How loose can the definition of "stop" be? :lol:

Train reduces its speed to 0mph, applies the brakes, crew changes then accelerates out of the station again.
Yes, but does this thread refer to services that stop at a station (timetabled, doors unlocked etc.) or in a station (red signal, crew change etc.)?

I'd say there's a difference.

EDIT: it does actually use the word "call" in the title. So I stick by what I said, in that context -- the Lowland Sleeper doesn't "call" at Preston.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yes, but does this thread refer to services that stop at a station (timetabled, doors unlocked etc.) or in a station (red signal, crew change etc.)?

I'd say there's a difference.

Both AFAIK, though passenger stops would be preferable ;)

Also, who says you need a red single for a crew change? ;)

pmgarvey

Doesn't the sleeper do a ton of crazy routes due to engineering works, so lots of major stations (New Street, Piccadilly, various ECML stations) will have at some point or another be passed through by it?

matchmaker

Established Member
A lot of stations in Scotland have every train call.

Off the top of my head, Aberdeen, Arbroath, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen St LL, Glasgow Central LL...

Of course, I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong about any of these!

The 1641 Queen Street to Aberdeen doesn't stop at Stirling - it is non stop to Perth.

Like York (mentioned previously), I think I am right in saying that since the introduction of the Eureka timetable, all services apart from the Flying Scotsman now stop at Darlington.

This is in part due to the junction nature of the station (connecting Teesside to the ECML). But as a resident of Darlington, I can not see how they justify the stopping pattern. But I am happy to accept it. Especially the service we now have between Newcastle and York.

cle

Established Member
Diss is a big railhead for the wider area - the town itself isn't much but it has a huge hinterland.

Darlington I think is definitely overserved.

All trains through Tottenham Hale stop there, all Chingford line trains stop at Walthamstow Central, and all trains through Audley End stop there, and the same for Cambridge & Ely.

GarethW

And I recall it was in the (slightly more recent) old days that there was an hourly Poole <> London service which ran fast between Southampton Parkway and Waterloo. This was introduced around the times of the 442s replacing 2x73s + 4TCs. My memory is a bit rusty, but wasn't it advertised as a 59 minute service between Parkway and Waterloo?

It was certainly sub the hour - a very brisk run.

Everything stops at Fareham, I did think everything stopped at Cosham too but I was on a FGW from Havant the other day that didn't. Presume everything stops at Havant too and Fratton of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.